Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 11:39 pm

Data Point:

So. Cal: Tried to use OV for MO today..got declined as system read it as "credit" That WMT uses the old POS machine and I couldn't get the "cancel-Debit" to work. MetaBank VGC worked fine for MO.

Went to another WMT that uses the newer POS machine and did the "cancel-Debit" ..but it was still a major PITA.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:41 pm

Had the same thing happen in SD this afternoon. Mused mostly paypowers and those all worked fine. Just my 1 OV.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:08 am

I think Step needs to be Change Payment and not cancel..right ?
Old May 30, 2014, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by coolblues
I think Step needs to be Change Payment and not cancel..right ?
When you hit "change payment" and select Debit, you at that point ask the CSR to select debit on their side? Right? Seems like I have to swipe 2-3 times again before the system kicks in and allows it. Not sure if CSR is actually pressing "debit" after I "change payment"
Old May 30, 2014, 2:54 am
jk2

Did anybody try other Visas (like Metabank)? Yesterday, I couldn't use my OV (I wasn't aware about workaround), but Univision MC, simon visa worked well as usual.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:31 am

in the first post, the OP told us what the receipt said- which was something we've never seen before. it was obvious to anyone with modest comprehension skills that something real and new was being reported. nonetheless, except for my post and a couple others, it was a feeding frenzy of NO IT ALL (intended) back slappers ridiculing him and treating him like he's an 8 year old that just wet the bed at a sleepover.

my point... there should be a lot of apologies in this this thread. perhaps there's a glitch, because i don't see any...
Old May 30, 2014, 4:54 am

FYI - Freequentflyerbook wrote about this on May 1st ...
Old May 30, 2014, 5:05 am

Here is my summary of this thread so far:

1. Walmart updated system, and the following GCs are automatically recognized as CC at the cashier terminal (similar to some MCs):
OV (confirmed)
Vanilla VGC (confirmed)

2. Koisk still works fine

3. For some newer cashier terminals, the cancel-debit trick works:
1) Swipe OV
2) Cancel
3) ATM/Debit
4) No Cash Back
5) Enter the PIN
6) Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen
7) Enter $500
8) Authorized

Last edited by adminds; May 30, 2014 at 9:54 am
Old May 30, 2014, 5:11 am

Not the same issue. He was talking about split debit payments:

Old system: cashier goes first

With the old POS software, after the final total was calculated for your purchase, the cashier had the option of typing in a split-tender amount on the physical keypad located to the right of the screen.

After typing in the amount, he or she would press the physical "debit" button, also located on the right side of the terminal.

Then, the customer could swipe a debit card, select the amount of cash back desired, if any, and type in their PIN.

This procedure could be repeated up to 4 times total (3 times if loading a Bluebird card).
New system: customer goes first

Once your Walmart receives the updated POS software, the process is reversed.

Now, after the final total is calculated for the purchase, the customer can swipe a debit card, select a cash back amount, and enter their PIN.

After the PIN is entered, the customer-facing keypad will read "Waiting for Cashier," and only then can the cashier type in the amount to be charged to the swiped debit card and push the "debit" button, again using the physical key located on the right side of the screen.

In fact, the cashier can type in the amount of the split tender before the customer swipes a debit card – what triggered reader Serion's repeated error was the cashier pressing the "debit" button before he had swiped his debit card and entered his PIN.

This procedure can still be repeated at least 4 times (that's how many swipes I did this morning).

Originally Posted by pwned
Old May 30, 2014, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by adminds

With the old POS software, after the final total was calculated for your purchase, the cashier had the option of typing in a split-tender amount on the physical keypad located to the right of the screen.

After typing in the amount, he or she would press the physical "debit" button, also located on the right side of the terminal.

Then, the customer could swipe a debit card, select the amount of cash back desired, if any, and type in their PIN.

This procedure could be repeated up to 4 times total (3 times if loading a Bluebird card).

Now, after the final total is calculated for the purchase, the customer can swipe a debit card, select a cash back amount, and enter their PIN.

After the PIN is entered, the customer-facing keypad will read "Waiting for Cashier," and only then can the cashier type in the amount to be charged to the swiped debit card and push the "debit" button, again using the physical key located on the right side of the screen.

In fact, the cashier can type in the amount of the split tender before the customer swipes a debit card – what triggered reader Serion's repeated error was the cashier pressing the "debit" button before he had swiped his debit card and entered his PIN.

This procedure can still be repeated at least 4 times (that's how many swipes I did this morning).

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwned

Agree, yesterday amount was entered, swipe, change payment, debit my end, no cashback, pin, debit CS end. So amount appears can be entered before or after, just can't press debit until after. Now the retraining begins... Sigh.

Hopefully this is chip relates as speculated. Otherwise the noose may be tightened at this retailer. Add in the smoke starting to build for CVS no OV, and it's not a good week.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Any success to change payment type on older monochrome pin pads?
Old May 30, 2014, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by pier11
Any success to change payment type on older monochrome pin pads?
I think that has been said like 10 times...
Old May 30, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by adminds

Excellent. Thank you for this. Now just waiting for the first to feed the birds!
Old May 30, 2014, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical

my point... there should be a lot of apologies in this this thread. perhaps there's a glitch, because i don't see any...
I agree OP took a lot of heat yet he turns out to have been right. I appreciate both OP and SPG (for the work around) posting their findings.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I agree OP took a lot of heat yet he turns out to have been right. I appreciate both OP and SPG (for the work around) posting their findings.
I agree with you but sometimes the way he words things as so definitive that he deserves a little criticism.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.