Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:26 pm

People panic when they have one way of MSing, if you know of a different way, try it, if it works great, if it doesn't then try something else or....quit.... don't advertise what works at this time and lets move on... and for all the new people here..... this is the END... no more OVG, GVC or wally or Kate.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Yes, it's not clear at all that this is what's causing a problem at WM only. If ACH transactions affect WM, why not other MO issuers? Why are less-than-$100 swipes being allowed at WM, at least for some?

Without a rational mechanism to explain these anomalies, this remains conjecture. The two might be related, but there's no real proof yet. It could still be WM messing around with their software, as they have done before.
It's also worth noting that the dates of the two recent major changes don't match up with the announcement of Bancorp's issues.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:06 pm

I am amazed that I have not seen the term "class action" more in this thread. These threads usually end with everyone threatening to sue
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:32 pm

WM

W/O divulging too much info: Kmart

Last edited by barrytuneup; Jun 21, 2014 at 11:44 am Reason: wrong info
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
It's also worth noting that the dates of the two recent major changes don't match up with the announcement of Bancorp's issues.
No, it took Walmart a week to update their software. I don't imagine they can make it happen in one fell swoop overnight.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical View Post
spoken by someone who joined in november and apparently has not been doing MS a # of years like myself and others. when there is smoke for a particular MS avenue there is nearly always fire soon after and then it's over and someone makes a youtube hitler video.

similar naive comments propagated the cvs thread early on (and every other major ms (mint, od, etc etc)...

Originally Posted by MsArbi
Good one. I suppose since I joined FT in Nov, I couldn't possibly have been doing MS for a # of years like yourself and others. Or have any real experience with buying MOs at WM.

All these recent POS changes that affect the credit/debit payment procedure at WM appear to be about EMV roll out. They are trying to make the system smarter, but in reality it is causing a lot of extra steps and time for the customer and for the cashier. But I suppose it's more fun to forecast doom and gloom.
and.... i told you so.

all the newly minted so called experts ridiculed the OP as an idiot and laughed at me when i pointed out what was obvious to me, but nobody else early on in this thread: that walmart wasn't paying software engineers to makes changes for fun- it was an attempt to block prepaids. i was laughed at.

sometimes i really hate being right.

note: if you think the effort stops at OV, you're not paying attention. the rest are just an 'update' away ('smart' people feel free to mock me again)...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: US/AA, UA, AS, BA, IHG, HGP
Have a free cookie I got from one of the other threads. They're free, and cookie-like. Good job.

and.... i told you so.

all the newly minted so called experts ridiculed the OP as an idiot and laughed at me when i pointed out what was obvious to me, but nobody else early on in this thread: that walmart wasn't paying software engineers to makes changes for fun- it was an attempt to block prepaids. i was laughed at.

note: if you think the effort stops at OV, you're not paying attention. the rest are just an 'update' away ('smart' people feel free to mock me again)...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by barrytuneup
W/O divulging too much info: Kmart does BP for WF CC. 1.50. Just hand cashier CC with biller zip code (i wrote the zip on back of card. ). Then swipe OV. Smooth. Don't start with the split payments thing, that would ruin it probably. I am happy paying 500/1x and paying from CAccout other times. WM should only be used for loading BB/Serve with cards that still will work. MO, use your heads!!
lol. all the KMs around me just closed. had 2 within 5 mins. now the nearest is half an hour away.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver
I am amazed that I have not seen the term "class action" more in this thread. These threads usually end with everyone threatening to sue
They're busy debating who to sue. WM for t&c on BB (which I had a quick glance at and it only covers online debit requirements and nothing on MC webpage). BC for violating pin based debit law. Or maybe both for collusion (WM makes MC transactions ach, BC stops processing ach due to their legal issues noted above). Who knows. The question is, who has more to lose, one would think Walmart since they presumably only get the MO fee which is offset by any swipe fees and MG fees (if there are any) and overhead (people, electricity, etc).

I think a good litmus test would be using a personalized MVD, although the conclusion is likely certain. This would both be BC and fit BBs T&C for debit card requirements. Another good test would be trying to buy something big at checkout and do change payment to debit.

All intriguing to say the least. Hopefully it comes back and we all can keep our mouths shut for once .
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by PHLisa
No, it took Walmart a week to update their software. I don't imagine they can make it happen in one fell swoop overnight.
Except that the previous change (the one where OVs started reading as credit) happened before any agreement was reached between Bancorp and the FDIC. Even if they received a heads up, what incentive would WM have had to make these changes earlier than necessary?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical View Post
spoken by someone who joined in november and apparently has not been doing MS a # of years like myself and others. when there is smoke for a particular MS avenue there is nearly always fire soon after and then it's over and someone makes a youtube hitler video.

similar naive comments propagated the cvs thread early on (and every other major ms (mint, od, etc etc)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsArbi

Good one. I suppose since I joined FT in Nov, I couldn't possibly have been doing MS for a # of years like yourself and others. Or have any real experience with buying MOs at WM.

All these recent POS changes that affect the credit/debit payment procedure at WM appear to be about EMV roll out. They are trying to make the system smarter, but in reality it is causing a lot of extra steps and time for the customer and for the cashier. But I suppose it's more fun to forecast doom and gloom.

and.... i told you so.

Fear not, both of you are still being laughed at, but maybe not for the reasons you think.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went back to WM tonight, but when I tried to swipe for less than $100 like before, I got alternate payment two times. Since a line had formed behind me while I was waiting and the clerk was not one of the friendly, helpful ones, I decided not to try again. I'll go on Saturday and hope for one of the nice ones who might be willing to experiment, but I'm not counting on being successful. I've already started to use the cards for normal spend, since so far I haven't found any other Madison store for MOs that will take GCs.

Fortunately/unfortunately it looks like I'll have a big spend -- just before I got home my car became really loud on acceleration, so I'm looking at some kind of exhaust system repair. It sounds like it's forward, so maybe the whole thing.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
it works at WM as well, just at/under certain amounts, when its not spazzing out.

so as expected theres more to this story, esp behind the scenes, than what the geniuses here suggested. latest 'changes' may not even have anything to do with MS at all.
This.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=craz;23068860][QUOTE=craigpd;23068740]Am I correct in stating that ...

You could have tried PMing some folks who in the past spoke about what you are interested in to see if they would answer you

assume most wont but at least a person should try and worse comes to worse, you could go out and purchase 1 card and try it.If it doesnt work then you arent out any $$$, just use that card till its Zeroed out instead of using say Barclays CC.Since you sued that Barclays to get the GC all you would have wasted is the fee for the GC, but you stil got all youer pts/miles or $

Please note I didnt say go out and buy $1000s (I wouldnt) till I knew for sure its workable, but as with the Vs anything else can also be stopped on a dime, so Id say its best getting what you will use then and there and then go back for more. Keep in mind there were posts where a person was able to get x MOs and then bingo no more even thou 5 secs before they were able to
I will gladly answer any newbie questions if it prevents them from posting on this thread.

NOTE TO NEWBIES: If you have a question PM me. I answer really quick, and maybe we can keep some of these avenues alive a little longer.

Plus I am really nice and friendly. I don't even chastise. In return one day think of your old friend Steve that nurtured you along if you find something really cool.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by luchex
a few days ago i went to CVS and grabbed 4 OV, and at the cashier there was a somewhat uninformed lady that told me cah only. she supposedly had the list and it was cash only, and stubornly refused to sell. The manager even more uninformed said the same (i always buy there but in a diferent shift). Iwas a little annoyed by that. Today I think it was my chubby guardian angel that make that lady not sell those OV.
I want to make a compilation of MS miracles and I need your MS miracle story.

I got fired from work, went home and since I had nothing to do during the day, took 20K+ in OVs and liquidated at WMT(s)...hours before this change happ. Phew!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.