Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:32 am

Was offered either AMEX or Visa gift card at my mall today, which one would be better for MO's and reloads on serve at Walmart?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:46 am

Visa gift cards.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DVDBob
Was offered either AMEX or Visa gift card at my mall today, which one would be better for MO's and reloads on serve at Walmart?

Definitely Amex......
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Please take time to research MS before you go out and spend real money on your credit cards. This is MS 101. I suggest you start here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...re-2015-a.html
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
At WM, you definitely have to enter the amount to be taken off the card. Otherwise, it will attempt to take the full $500.68 (or w/e) off that debit. WM doesn't auto-drain debit cards. Also why would $999.32 show up on your CC statement? We are talking about MOs which are debit card only.
Auto-drain wasn't brought up and is irrelevant to the issue in that discussion. The issue was if you could on a $500 MO with a 68c-70c MO fee, use cash at the end after swiping to pay the fee (which you can). The cashier will key in the $500 before the swipe.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Auto-drain wasn't brought up and is irrelevant to the issue in that discussion. The issue was if you could on a $500 MO with a 68c-70c MO fee, use cash at the end after swiping to pay the fee (which you can). The cashier will key in the $500 before the swipe.
No. You completely missed the original question. See the original quote below. He was talking about auto-draining the debit card. Second poster mentioned that this isn't the case at WM, which is true.

I'm saying that if the payment due is $500.70, on some registers you can safely swipe a $500 debit card and the balance due will be $0.70 without additional cashier input, which you can pay in cash. This appears to be card and POS system dependent, but it worked at Giant and Stop & Shop last year. I haven't tried it here in the Bay Area because too many clerks are militantly anti-MS. I started doing this because of a sign I saw at my local Giant one day when purchasing some variable load VGC:
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:44 am

Please take time to research MS before you go out and spend real money on your credit cards. This is MS 101. I suggest you start here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...re-2015-a.html
Sorry. Was standing at the counter and didn't expect two options. I had read thru about 60% of the threads and no where did I see anyone specifically mention which brand of card to get.

I happened to choose Visa and had no problem converting them to an MO at WM. Swiped 1st card, told the lady $500, swiped 2nd card, told her $500 again, then paid the $0.70 with cash.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:46 am

Sorry. Was standing at the counter and didn't expect two options. I had read thru about 60% of the threads and no where did I see anyone specifically mention which brand of card to get.

I happened to choose Visa and had no problem converting them to an MO at WM. Swiped 1st card, told the lady $500, swiped 2nd card, told her $500 again, then paid the $0.70 with cash.
While I am almost certain that someone has asked that question in the newbie thread, read the Wiki here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...tc-2015-a.html
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:39 pm

While I am almost certain that someone has asked that question in the newbie thread, read the Wiki here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...tc-2015-a.html
Can we please talk about Simon instead of you policing everyone's posts and separate conversations? Geez.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:16 pm

Can we please talk about Simon instead of you policing everyone's posts and separate conversations? Geez.
I am actually helping that person since they don't know how to use Amex GCs. They don't have to ask in this thread again.

Last edited by cdancer20; Jul 13, 2015 at 5:34 pm
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Bought 4X 495 of the Simon Visa GCS. Kept it below $2000 per a post I read here.

I used to Ms with Vanilla Relods and Bluebird.

Questions :Can SMGC be reloaded into BB .

Otherwise I need to read up every post here to decipher how to liquidate ( have to buy liquidate $10000) in 60 days.
Would a kindly soul direct me to a page or post number please ?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMPS
Bought 4X 495 of the Simon Visa GCS. Kept it below $2000 per a post I read here.

Otherwise I need to read up every post here to decipher how to liquidate ( have to buy liquidate $10000) in 60 days.
Simple answer: Yes but you will need a Wally to do it, via Kate or a reg. Better read up on those WiKis before proceeding so you will be prepared for what may hit you
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS

new to the game here, read the forum threads.
bought 2x$500 Simon Visa GC.
will try MO at Wally tomorrow.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not true. I've done a $500 MO and paid the 68c fee in cash after swipe. I seem to recall doing that when I first started on a 4 swipe two $1k MOs, but I'll have to revisit as I really don't like $999.32 showing up multiple times on my CC statements. IMHO, I've always thought $999.32 looks more suspect than $1k.
You fail to understand the issue - when to swipe the card does NOT matter. What matters is, the cashier must put in the split amount to pay before you swipe the card.

You can pay the fee in cash at the end, but the cashier MUST put in $500 for each card you swipe. If not, I guarantee you your card will fail because the register will try to take the whole unpaid balance from the card, a $500.70 obviously is more than the $500 stored on your card, so the register would spit out the not available fund error, or whatever that error is called.

It is just easier for the cashier to put in the cash part first, then one $500 at a time for 3 times, the last time there is no need to input anything, because the remaining balance to pay is $500 and your card has $500.

And what does your CC statement come in play? No CC can ever be used to buy MO. So what are you talking about not liking $999.32 showing up on your CC statement?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You fail to understand the issue - when to swipe the card does NOT matter. What matters is, the cashier must put in the split amount to pay before you swipe the card.

You can pay the fee in cash at the end, but the cashier MUST put in $500 for each card you swipe. If not, I guarantee you your card will fail because the register will try to take the whole unpaid balance from the card, a $500.70 obviously is more than the $500 stored on your card, so the register would spit out the not available fund error, or whatever that error is called.
I'm new to the game, but I literally just did this yesterday at a WM. Swiped my card FIRST, then the cashier asked how much. Told her $500. Pin pad showed balance of $500.70. Swiped second card, cashier entered $500, pin pad showed balance of $0.70. Paid the rest in cash.

Perhaps different registers have different swipe requirements, but this is how I just did it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.