Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andy3367
Today I visited my regular Simon, staffed by the regular dude, to get a load of SGCs. He quickly told me he had already sold out of all his cards for the day (400), and that, "this happens every day." Now given it was 12:42PM and the mall opens at 10AM, his story seems a little shaky. 400 cards in 2h42m equates to over 148 cards an hour, every hour, or about 2.47 cards per minute, every minute. My reaction to him was true shock, but by the time I got to my car I was thinking he was blowing smoke up my posterior. I know it doesn't take long to do the activation and such, but c'mon, really? That's under 25 seconds per activation, nonstop for over two hours! And what happens tomorrow? Will he simply bring another 400 to burn through before 1:00? Why not bring 500? 600? 1000? It seems if they're such a hot item and if Simon is okay giving them out freely, they'd bump up the daily allotment at the CS counter. I've routinely bought $3k-$5k at a time from this guy before--and he's even one of the property managers.
I'm highly tempted to go back later today when the dude is gone and see if things magically change. Or, I might just go to the other nearby Simon property and hit them up (though they're much slower and seem more leery of the whole deal).

Anyone else had anything odd with Simon of late? Or did I get snowed in June (which though it's Minnesota, doesn't happen!)?
its possible, numerous times that I walked up the person was in the midst of fulfilling an order that was called in. I just dont understand why they didnt ask the office to bring some more down, but you did say it was @ 12:42pm so could very well be the office was closed for lunch Other times they werent fully restocked for the day = having to take some cards I wouldnt noprmally have chosen
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
He quickly told me he had already sold out of all his cards for the day (400), and that, "this happens every day."
His story is too shaky to believe. Are you sure he brings 400 everyday? And he sold 400 GC in 2h40?
Different math: 400 GC = 20 guys buying 10k each. So 20 guys to showed up at the mall in the same morning?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:58 pm

He quickly told me he had already sold out of all his cards for the day (400), and that, "this happens every day."
Did he explicitly say 400? Because the way you wrote it implies he didn't but 400 was implied based on previous discussions with him.

It's likely the inventory wasn't fully restocked this morning from the weekend purchases. Most/if not all Simon malls management offices are closed on the weekends which hold the cards. The Guest Services GC inventory doesn't get restocked until Monday (when management office has staff working) and you may have either 1) caught him before restocking and after what little inventory was left from the weekend was sold Monday morning or 2) no stock existed when Clerk got to work due to being sold out over the weekend and restocking hadn't happened yet or wasn't going to happen today.

My two cents: if sold out on a weekday, have the clerk call the management office to get more GCs. They might not have any in the management office, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Originally Posted by macrophage
Haven't there been reports that each rep at the counter gets their own supply? At a shift change, you should have a new batch. Personally, I haven't encountered this problem as I'm in a pretty small city.
That's how mine is. Each rep has a pouch of cards that they are responsible for somehow. I came in at a shift change once and the rep coming on said she was sold out from the day before so the rep who was leaving was nice enough to hang around and ring me up.

So for the poster who said his rep was sold out of 400 early in the day, maybe he started the day pretty low on his stock.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Is Montebello the only weird Simon Mall in the Los Angeles area that sells only the $250's for $2.95 max? I normally don't use Simon so just checking before driving further afield. Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by calwatch
Is Montebello the only weird Simon Mall in the Los Angeles area that sells only the $250's for $2.95 max? I normally don't use Simon so just checking before driving further afield. Thanks.
Did not realize Montebello is a Simon Mall! Interesting, let me know how it goes!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:15 am

FYI, wanted to share conversation with Guest Services on Saturday:

1) Noticed a significant increase in newbie purchases since mid-May. I can only assume this is related to Target CC shutdown as its too big a coincidence.

2) Increase in failed transactions due to not enough CL on purchaser CC. Could be related to #1 above as people try out for the first time. Main issue is that the GS desk has to destroy those GCs which lowers the supply for all. Not a big deal as those GCs would have gone away anyway if the purchaser was successful.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:18 am
Suspended

AFAIK, but why hit Montebello when you have a couple in your backyard?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by winsteven13
Did not realize Montebello is a Simon Mall! Interesting, let me know how it goes!
Montebello is just managed by Simon Mall so they really aren't a Simon Mall. That's probably why they have those different gift cards.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fightonsc
Montebello is just managed by Simon Mall so they really aren't a Simon Mall. That's probably why they have those different gift cards.
Many a moon ago when I stopped by they had the same placards on the CS desk as the other SMs do. With the same GCs being hawked.However I didnt purchase any due to the lousy terms, but I imagine its the same GCs as everywhere else

Ive gone to some SM where they have a $3k max limit including the $3.95 fees.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
2) Increase in failed transactions due to not enough CL on purchaser CC. Could be related to #1 above as people try out for the first time.
Or from declined transactions with plenty of CL on the BBVA NBA card... It's so ridiculous what's going on with those guys.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Originally Posted by craz
AFAIK, but why hit Montebello when you have a couple in your backyard?
Just happened to be in the area and didn't want to drive out of direction to the Mills. Note that the mall map and brochure states the $250 restriction, if I had bothered to pick it up when I was waiting at customer service.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Just happened to be in the area and didn't want to drive out of direction to the Mills. Note that the mall map and brochure states the $250 restriction, if I had bothered to pick it up when I was waiting at customer service.
fwiw I posted about Montebello many months ago and warned people since many folks will use the SM locator to see what around and I didnt want anyone els ecahsing there just to be I was passing by anyways as I was headed to Whittier, if anything I saved a few $ on a box of Sees, was cheaper then the airport so it wasnt a total loss for me $18 vs $23

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24241020-post905.html
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by craz
fwiw I posted about Montebello many months ago and warned people since many folks will use the SM locator to see what around and I didnt want anyone els ecahsing there just to be I was passing by anyways as I was headed to Whittier, if anything I saved a few $ on a box of Sees, was cheaper then the airport so it wasnt a total loss for me $18 vs $23

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24241020-post905.html
250 max? Darn lol thanks for the info.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:32 pm

Yeah, he did explicitly state 400 cards. It just seems beyond plausibility that he churned that many cards in under 3 hours. I'll just go to my other local Simon source and/or when I know he's not around. (Having chatted often with him, I kinda know his schedule..!) Just all very odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.