Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
I have the same issue at my regular simon outlet. They are very strict with protocol at my regular simon location.
I also ran into it with a card that was new. May be a rule that is selectively enforced.

My learning is to always carry a card with raised numbers, just in case.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
I have the same issue at my regular simon outlet. They are very strict with protocol at my regular simon location.
So this means Citi DoubleCash and Prestige are not acceptable? OMG. This rule is kinda ridiculous.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by mbfanos
So this means Citi DoubleCash and Prestige are not acceptable? OMG. This rule is kinda ridiculous.
It will become more and more ridiculous, since card issuers are going in the direction of eliminating embossed numbers. My recently replaced United Explorer also lacked embossed numbers.

I can't say whether this is a nationwide trend or a few rogue locations, but either way I suspect it won't last.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:46 pm

Locations for availability of SMGCs may be expanding, as Simon, the #1 shopping mall owner, launches hostile takeover of the #2 shopping mall owner:

Simon Property Group’s Hostile $22.4 Billion Bid For Macerich

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0M519J20150309
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Originally Posted by Hbax
Locations for availability of SMGCs may be expanding, as Simon, the #1 shopping mall owner, launches hostile takeover of the #2 shopping mall owner:

Simon Property Group’s Hostile $22.4 Billion Bid For Macerich

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0M519J20150309
Pfft. Macerich sells gift cards from MetaBank too.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:24 pm

Not living near a SM but having been near one last week I took the opportunity to buy 2k worth from the kiosk in the middle of the mall. Customer service person was very nice with no questions asked other than my intended use. I just told her graduations are coming up.
Loaded them to BB via Kate in my hometown.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:17 am

Lucky you. I don't think I can purchase a MO using any VGC from my neighboring Krogers since last fall. 4 out of 5 CS cashiers will ask for ID and the card I use to match before I can swipe. One CS cashiers asked me for 2 IDs two weeks ago when I tried to purchase 2K MOs, I left without buying.

Originally Posted by alaskantraveler
To throw in my 2 cents. I currently use Simon Malls as my primary MS method. I wish I could buy $10k a day, but that isnt very scale-able. How many days of $10k a day before redflags on the part of simon malls gets you banned. Maybe if you have many simon malls in a small area. There is only one Simon mall near me.

I generally make one trip per week to Simon Malls and purchase $9k worth of the $1,000 biz gift cards. $3.95 fee. If I put all of this on my barclays arrival returning 2.22% I am making $199.80 gross. Now for the fees. $3.95 per $1k is $35.55 total card fees. Plus $0.70 for $1,000 = $6.30. Total fees = $41.85 so net = $157.95.

Now for my time. Reasonably the Simon Malls trip takes 45 minutes between driving there, parking, getting to the office, getting the cards issued, walking back to the car. Liquidating the cards takes several trips as I can only liquidate $2k in money orders per day at any single walmart, there is also Fred Meyer for another $3k per day. In order to liquidate $9k in money orders by myself I would have to visit 4 different retailers. At 45 minutes each with driving. Total time around 3 1/2 hrs for $157.95 = about $45/hr. Not a bad hobby. I didnt include fuel and vehicle cost.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
A few weeks ago I went to a SM and bought GC's for the first time, just bought $500x4. The lady at the kiosk was pretty clueless about the cards; for example she was pretty sure they weren't PIN-friendly, which of course wasn't true.

I had a weird sort of "YMMV" experience trying to unload them. I went to an unfamiliar WM and was told I couldn't do it without an ID that showed my name was "Especially For You" - the "name" on the card. So I took them to my "home" WM where I'm on a first-name basis with the Money Center staff.

So this week I called a different SM. They were extremely nice and had my order of $500x18 ready for me when I got there. I met the manager, who encouraged me to submit the corporate form for pre-approval. Neither of these malls are that close to me, but they aren't all that far out of my way sometimes.

One thing was inconsistent with what I've seen on this forum; the corporate cards still have a $500 max, although the price is $2.50 if you buy 25 or more. If they want to sell me $500x25 at a time, I'm all good with that, and anyway the credit limit on the card I use is only $15K anyway, but is it possible that the max per card on a corporate account is $1K and there's a way I can prove it to them? The form says "Maximum Value Load $500."
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
Gotta love these SM clerks. Yesterday I wanted to split my $2.5k purchase to put $201 on one card because that's all I needed for a bonus. And she said, "New rule: you have to put it all on one card, or split 50/50." What BS.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
Gotta love these SM clerks. Yesterday I wanted to split my $2.5k purchase to put $201 on one card because that's all I needed for a bonus. And she said, "New rule: you have to put it all on one card, or split 50/50." What BS.
You should ask her what prevents you from purchasing 4x in one transaction then coming back after 5 minute and deciding to get another card? I know it's not the most optimized, but there isn't much functional difference between the two.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:44 am

I bet that person doesn't understand the rules. I did a 30/70 (70 was up to card's CL) recently. Maybe there is a stated rule that you could only use 2 cards per transaction, but 50/50 seems a little too much.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:47 am

FYI, when calling ahead be sure to ask the Simon rep to CHECK they have enough Visa cards before driving out to Simon. I've had this happen twice recently: I call ahead asking for GCs in advance. Simon rep says ok. I get to the mall and they have less than 20 or 40 GC (40 if with wife). What's worse, the second time this happened I asked if they had 20 and the rep said they had 20 (which they didn't)!!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At my Simon mall I routinely use 3 or 4 CCs. Last time I used 5, in amounts ranging from $1000 to $3000. I had to sign each of the 5 extremely long receipts that printed out, though.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
FYI, when calling ahead be sure to ask the Simon rep to CHECK they have enough Visa cards before driving out to Simon. I've had this happen twice recently: I call ahead asking for GCs in advance. Simon rep says ok. I get to the mall and they have less than 20 or 40 GC (40 if with wife). What's worse, the second time this happened I asked if they had 20 and the rep said they had 20 (which they didn't)!!
You can avoid this by havig them ring up your order ahead of time and then suspend the order. Once there they recall the purchase and just pay. Helps to e-mail them the morning or even day before you pick your order up.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
At my Simon mall I routinely use 3 or 4 CCs. Last time I used 5, in amounts ranging from $1000 to $3000. I had to sign each of the 5 extremely long receipts that printed out, though.
What Simon Mall is around Madison? I have only gotten when trekked to woodfield on my way to ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.