Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CBDTREE
Why wouldn't you be doing it for 3.95 a thousand...
Originally Posted by Jarrett
You mean with an SM corporate account?
My Simon mall flat out said they monitor corporate accounts closely - they do not like the cards bought with corporate accounts went straightly to Wally, They shut dhow those bogus corporate accounts after a few such offenses. However they have no problem with consumer purchase limit despite the cards went to Wally within hours being bought.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Happy
My Simon mall flat out said they monitor corporate accounts closely - they do not like the cards bought with corporate accounts went straightly to Wally, They shut dhow those bogus corporate accounts after a few such offenses. However they have no problem with consumer purchase limit despite the cards went to Wally within hours being bought.
Bogus corporate accounts shouldn't be touching this, but if you have a legitimate business ^. Also having this type of conversation with a Simon CSR would be your first mistake.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
I registered for the corporate account today and it was declined. Reading the reports it looks like they are strict with corporate accounts and also cracking down on the ones which are solely MSing. Those of you who are Msing with 1K VGC using Corporate accounts. What are you doing to stay under the radar? Also, any thoughts on whether I should call their customer service and request for a recon? any tips and advice would be much appreciated.

TIA
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bogus corporate accounts shouldn't be touching this, but if you have a legitimate business ^. Also having this type of conversation with a Simon CSR would be your first mistake.
Legitimate business does not liquidate the GCs right to Wally. Legitimate business buys these as incentives / compensations to employees and clients. If you think you have a "legitimate business" with a EIN so you could buy the $1K value, well, the days you can do this are numbered. Both Simon's and Meta monitor corporate accounts closely. There are posts upthread about corporate accounts got shut down.

You have no clue of our Simon's mall situation. Each mall operates differently. The conversation is not with CSR. The Mall Manager volunteered this information from the very beginning. She said they know full well what people buy this for. In fact she was surprised I buy with non miles earning cards. Told her I have more than enough miles for the next 3 years so cash back works better.

People are either naive or stupid to think they could fly under the radar by not letting CSRs or Mall management know what they are up to. The retailers are not stupid, they encourage people to do this as long as people comply with the rules by filling out forms instead of doing the evasive things. It is all about compliance that as a merchant who sells the prepaid cards must do to meet the government requirements. Google AML if you have no idea what is all about.

Have no issue buying the consumer limit with call in order and then come pick the cards up. I just need to show up and make payment. Though in general I prefer to drop by when happen to be in the area instead of making a call ahead because I would be obligated to make the trip if I make a call for the order. If I could not make it I would cause inconvenience to them as cards are loaded (but not activated yet) and they have to do the accounting.

This is how accommodating my mall is, when preferred style is out of stock at the kiosk, CSR would call the office and the mall manager would bring more out . I can buy $10K every day if I want, and pay however split I like. Though for me once a week is good enough - it is a hobby not a chore.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 8, 2015 at 9:44 pm
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
Originally Posted by Ctrix65513
It's not hard coded but they seem informed in most locations not to accept them.

Awhile ago, I was using them every two weeks and then suddenly the lady who always sold them told me said she was reprimanded by her boss and instructed to only take credit cards with my name embossed. They must've been looking at the receipt that said GIFT FOR YOU and noticed my payment method. Around that time, the self swipe pad was taken away from the counter and must know be done by the rep. I haven't gotten around to trying a personalized AGC at Simon with portals no longer offering an incentive.
My only SM doesn't accept personalized AGCs, either. I showed her my embossed name, but she said 'no', while showing me the words "Gift" and "Prepaid".
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
My only SM doesn't accept personalized AGCs, either. I showed her my embossed name, but she said 'no', while showing me the words "Gift" and "Prepaid".
Wave the Amex merchant agreement in their face and tell them they are in violation of it and you intend to take legal action.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by jewsus
Wave the Amex merchant agreement in their face and tell them they are in violation of it and you intend to take legal action.
<Facepalm>
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:58 am

Legitimate business does not liquidate the GCs right to Wally. Legitimate business buys these as incentives / compensations to employees and clients. If you think you have a "legitimate business" with a EIN so you could buy the $1K value, well, the days you can do this are numbered. Both Simon's and Meta monitor corporate accounts closely. There are posts upthread about corporate accounts got shut down.

You have no clue of our Simon's mall situation. Each mall operates differently. The conversation is not with CSR. The Mall Manager volunteered this information from the very beginning. She said they know full well what people buy this for. In fact she was surprised I buy with non miles earning cards. Told her I have more than enough miles for the next 3 years so cash back works better.

People are either naive or stupid to think they could fly under the radar by not letting CSRs or Mall management know what they are up to. The retailers are not stupid, they encourage people to do this as long as people comply with the rules by filling out forms instead of doing the evasive things. It is all about compliance that as a merchant who sells the prepaid cards must do to meet the government requirements. Google AML if you have no idea what is all about.

Have no issue buying the consumer limit with call in order and then come pick the cards up. I just need to show up and make payment. Though in general I prefer to drop by when happen to be in the area instead of making a call ahead because I would be obligated to make the trip if I make a call for the order. If I could not make it I would cause inconvenience to them as cards are loaded (but not activated yet) and they have to do the accounting.

This is how accommodating my mall is, when preferred style is out of stock at the kiosk, CSR would call the office and the mall manager would bring more out . I can buy $10K every day if I want, and pay however split I like. Though for me once a week is good enough - it is a hobby not a chore.
I will agree that only you will know your own simon mall situation. If you are comfortable discussing with them, have established trust, a relationship, then go ahead. That is probably the best case scenario.

I personally rather not have to pay twice as much, spend twice as long, purchasing and unloading, for the same amount of points. My time is far more valuable than any MS ever can be. I can get $50K once a month if I want and they'll even bring them to my office... And this hobby has been solid for about a year now.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will agree that only you will know your own simon mall situation. If you are comfortable discussing with them, have established trust, a relationship, then go ahead. That is probably the best case scenario.

I personally rather not have to pay twice as much, spend twice as long, purchasing and unloading, for the same amount of points. My time is far more valuable than any MS ever can be. I can get $50K once a month if I want and they'll even bring them to my office... And this hobby has been solid for about a year now.
Exactly. When we did not go for 2 weeks, they asked why. Well, we went on a cruise because it was too cheap to pass. They were really interested to find out. There is a rapport between them and us so the interaction is very pleasant.

And my consumer purchases are more than your 50K once a month activity despite that I would need to drop by more frequently but since it is part of the outing to regular shop and dine anyway with only extra 10 to 15 min excursion, does not waste much of my "valuable" time for pleasure. Never has any issue in buying. Liquidating though is where the time is spent and it can get old. Corporate account saves you money, and a bit of time in getting the cards, but then it does not do much in the liquidating side.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:41 pm

Exactly. When we did not go for 2 weeks, they asked why. Well, we went on a cruise because it was too cheap to pass. They were really interested to find out. There is a rapport between them and us so the interaction is very pleasant.

And my consumer purchases are more than your 50K once a month activity despite that I would need to drop by more frequently but since it is part of the outing to regular shop and dine anyway with only extra 10 to 15 min excursion, does not waste much of my "valuable" time for pleasure. Never has any issue in buying. Liquidating though is where the time is spent and it can get old. Corporate account saves you money, and a bit of time in getting the cards, but then it does not do much in the liquidating side.
100% agree on everything except liquidating. My personal opinion, I much rather make one swipe to clear out 1000 instead of 2x500. Especially when I'm doing $50K+ of these alone, saves a tremendous amount of time, money, plus stress on any already disgruntled underpaid worker. Raises less eyebrows... And factor in about 10 other ways of MS completely separate from the mall...But as always YMMV, do what works best for you.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:17 pm

That is because you are a Titan of Industry and a Powerful Man. Your character, integrity, salary and position within the Company are worthy of Respect. You go girl.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

100% agree on everything except liquidating. My personal opinion, I much rather make one swipe to clear out 1000 instead of 2x500. Especially when I'm doing $50K+ of these alone, saves a tremendous amount of time, money, plus stress on any already disgruntled underpaid worker. Raises less eyebrows... And factor in about 10 other ways of MS completely separate from the mall...But as always YMMV, do what works best for you.
Does not matter one swipe or two swipes, you still need to get to the place to swipe - that is the part I am talking about being time consuming. Now if you can do that thing sitting at home then it would be my envy!

As for disgruntled underpaid workers, I found that some of the attitudes actually are more to do with personality than being underpaid. Also for those who have good nature, they do appreciate being treated politely and cheerfully because most of their normal customers are PITA in general. We travel a lot therefore often are absent in action for several weeks. When I return, they often ask, 'where have you been? Haven't seen you for a while. Everything is fine?" some sort of pleasantry always exchanged.

In any case, it actually is refreshing when the disgruntled underpaid employees would suddenly open up her face with a broad smile when she sees you because you break the monotony of her job and you are always nice to her. I dont mind to bright up someone's day even just for a brief moment. I was really surprised a few days before X'mas when I walked out a Wally I bumped at a CSR who just returned from a break - she greeted me with a hug for Happy Holidays. wow.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 12, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:49 pm

... I bumped at a CSR who just returned from a break - she greeted me with a hug for Happy Holidays. wow.
Pic's or it didn't happen...
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by quanh79
I bought 4 Simon Mall gc yesterday, after I called and setup the pin; I went to Kate to load them to BB. I only successful loaded 2 out of 4. The two failed loads after multiple tries gave shown a same message "card not accepted".... has anyone encountered this before? Thanks!
This happened to me in the last few days.

1 out of 12 staples $200 visa GC gives me 'card not accepted'.
1 out of 11 Simon $500 visa GC gives me 'card not accepted'.

Tried on two different days and got the same error.

The rest of the cards had loaded fine.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:04 pm

Does not matter one swipe or two swipes, you still need to get to the place to swipe - that is the part I am talking about being time consuming. Now if you can do that thing sitting at home then it would be my envy!

As for disgruntled underpaid workers, I found that some of the attitudes actually are more to do with personality than being underpaid. Also for those who have good nature, they do appreciate being treated politely and cheerfully because most of their normal customers are PITA in general. We travel a lot therefore often are absent in action for several weeks. When I return, they often ask, 'where have you been? Haven't seen you for a while. Everything is fine?" some sort of pleasantry always exchanged.

In any case, it actually is refreshing when the disgruntled underpaid employees would suddenly open up her face with a broad smile when she sees you because you break the monotony of her job and you are always nice to her. I dont mind to bright up someone's day even just for a brief moment. I was really surprised a few days before X'mas when I walked out a Wally I bumped at a CSR who just returned from a break - she greeted me with a hug for Happy Holidays. wow.
Less swipes and bigger profits are my preferred method. And there are ways to unload at home. You don't always have to go to wally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.