Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by gorgeoustresses
Has anyone reported the increase of the fee for Simon mall gift cards?

Each GC is now 3.95 instead of 2.95...

My cashier said it's because so many people buy the cards. Fair enough... the law of supply and demand at its finest...
Still 2.95 if paying by cash and 3.95 if paying by cc.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Happy
Our Simon's CSRs told us that they banned people buying below the amount that requires filling form if said people keep coming back buying the $2500 - in their mind, you deliberately avoid compliance requirements and considered "bad people".

Filling out the form each and every time so far has not been an issue with our local Simon's where we are able to do the 10K limit per day per person as set by the corporate, though we only bought 60 to 70% of the allowance and only come in once or twice a week. Our CSR stresses that buy large qty is not the issue with the forms, buying the 2500 frequently is how "good people" inadvertently turn into "bad people" in their internal system. Our mall manager even got the design we wanted from the office when the kiosk ran out of it because someone in the morning bought 10K and a corporate account bought 20K just ahead of us.
May work for Simon, but not the tysons concierge. If you are a frequent buyer above 3K, you have to fill a form and it works for 2-3 times (done that), after that either you have to give up or you have to have an approved Business account. Also, it is not the concierge, it is the gift card issuer that gets the form/ data in this case.

At the Simon malls, I just do $5k-$6k when I go and am glad to fill out the paper work. Remember that is META Bank (MS Friendly) vs. Sunrise
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:05 pm
Suspended

was hoping there would be a Wiki, but at last there isnt (yet).

today was my 1st trip to a Simon, now that PP is out and at $3.95 @ Simon that saves $2. for some reason I thought Simon was only an Outlet op, playing around the website I saw they owned reg malls as well(alot closer)

I only purchased $2k since that is what I was short to tap up a CC before its CXed (AF time) I wasnt little taken back when she opened the strong box and it was all Amex on top. I said I was hoping for VISAs and she no problem they are on the bottom. 2nd set back it has all this holiday stuff all over them hard IMO to cover it up when you want to swipe it for MOs.In the end went with the ones with the snowman on them thought it would be easier to cover it then the Happy holidays. Next stop Wally, and bingo no problems at all

Now can someone tell me what the face of the GCs look like all yr long? Is it like the reg MBs with GC written across the middle, does it have a sticker like those from the OSs?

the good thing is hopefully this will make it a bit easier to do the min Spend on my Carriers card to get the min Spend on tkt purchase waviered for the Elite status = it wont be a $$ making venture for me

1 question probably an answer via PM is best, if I purchase say $2000 at The Mall of LA and then $2000 at the Mall of Pasedena do their computers talk to one another like CVs, and they will ask me to fill out the form or if I purchased $6k and then wanted another $6k will they tell me I can only buy $4k at the 2nd Mall? tia
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
was hoping there would be a Wiki, but at last there isnt (yet).

today was my 1st trip to a Simon, now that PP is out and at $3.95 @ Simon that saves $2. for some reason I thought Simon was only an Outlet op, playing around the website I saw they owned reg malls as well(alot closer)

I only purchased $2k since that is what I was short to tap up a CC before its CXed (AF time) I wasnt little taken back when she opened the strong box and it was all Amex on top. I said I was hoping for VISAs and she no problem they are on the bottom. 2nd set back it has all this holiday stuff all over them hard IMO to cover it up when you want to swipe it for MOs.In the end went with the ones with the snowman on them thought it would be easier to cover it then the Happy holidays. Next stop Wally, and bingo no problems at all

Now can someone tell me what the face of the GCs look like all yr long? Is it like the reg MBs with GC written across the middle, does it have a sticker like those from the OSs?

the good thing is hopefully this will make it a bit easier to do the min Spend on my Carriers card to get the min Spend on tkt purchase waviered for the Elite status = it wont be a $$ making venture for me

1 question probably an answer via PM is best, if I purchase say $2000 at The Mall of LA and then $2000 at the Mall of Pasedena do their computers talk to one another like CVs, and they will ask me to fill out the form or if I purchased $6k and then wanted another $6k will they tell me I can only buy $4k at the 2nd Mall? tia
The CSR should show you a laminated cardboard that has ALL the designs available, and there is a separate cardboard for the holiday designs.

The regular designs have a completely black color one with a big THANK YOU in darker black on the card. This is the one you would want. Another regular design is a light gray with small words of Simon Gift Card. That is the 2nd choice. Then they have a Green and Light Blue THANK YOU on light color background, and a Red birthday candles which are not very resembling candles.

There is no sticker on their cards. They are just bundled by rubber bands by designs and put in a soft bag that has lock. Some CSRs keep them in the bag, some CSRs take them all out and throw them in the drawer when they are on duty - it depends on who is on duty.

No, they do not swipe your DL, it is Paper form to fill out - my mall prefer people who fill out paper form and happily sell you $10K per person per day, even with a semi-permanent notice on the kiosk counter to inform you such. They do NOT like people repeatedly buy $2500 to avoid filling out forms.

Yes, the paper form info gets input to their system and they do keep track of it this way. So while I do not know how the back office works but per my friendly CSR, their system is "shared" by area malls (we have 2 here) and they are vigilant in compliance (Metabank).
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
The CSR should show you a laminated cardboard that has ALL the designs available, and there is a separate cardboard for the holiday designs.

The regular designs have a completely black color one with a big THANK YOU in darker black on the card. This is the one you would want. Another regular design is a light gray with small words of Simon Gift Card. That is the 2nd choice. Then they have a Green and Light Blue THANK YOU on light color background, and a Red birthday candles which are not very resembling candles.

There is no sticker on their cards. They are just bundled by rubber bands by designs and put in a soft bag that has lock. Some CSRs keep them in the bag, some CSRs take them all out and throw them in the drawer when they are on duty - it depends on who is on duty.

No, they do not swipe your DL, it is Paper form to fill out - my mall prefer people who fill out paper form and happily sell you $10K per person per day, even with a semi-permanent notice on the kiosk counter to inform you such. They do NOT like people repeatedly buy $2500 to avoid filling out forms.

Yes, the paper form info gets input to their system and they do keep track of it this way. So while I do not know how the back office works but per my friendly CSR, their system is "shared" by area malls (we have 2 here) and they are vigilant in compliance (Metabank).
Thanks!

Im the middle of reading the whole thread, which I will finish doing tomorrow. At the SM I went to they didnt have a laminated cardboard display, but a piece of paper inside a page protector and all it showed was the holiday cards, didnt know they had the reg as well (maybe this place only had the holiday ones) That Black one sounds like the best, i wasnt too happy with the snowman and all the colors since I dont know of any bank DC that is as colorful.

I would think this time of yr getting the holiday GCs wont look out of place, so hopefully Wally wont look too closely and the SM folks wont raise any flags
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by BADELAYS
May work for Simon, but not the tysons concierge. If you are a frequent buyer above 3K, you have to fill a form and it works for 2-3 times (done that), after that either you have to give up or you have to have an approved Business account. Also, it is not the concierge, it is the gift card issuer that gets the form/ data in this case.

At the Simon malls, I just do $5k-$6k when I go and am glad to fill out the paper work. Remember that is META Bank (MS Friendly) vs. Sunrise
Why is sunrise not considered friendly?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by craz
Thanks!

I would think this time of yr getting the holiday GCs wont look out of place, so hopefully Wally wont look too closely and the SM folks wont raise any flags
Simon Mall customer service staff know exactly what most of us are doing, but it seems to be no big deal. Just ask them what the limits are, and you should be fine on a personal account. (That is... if the mall has enough to sell you. The local ones here allow $10k, and sometimes they're out of stock.)
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:41 am

I recently used a Simon gift card at Family Dollar. When I swiped it went through as credit. I had to ask the associate to run it specifically as debit and then it worked. I've gotten lucky twice now. There aren't any reasonably close Walmarts for this to work.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:46 am

Remember that is META Bank (MS Friendly) vs. Sunrise
Meta MS friendly? I think that is the first time I have seen that claim. I agree Simon seems to be but Meta in general sure isn't they banned me at AAA after less than $5k of purchases over six months. There is whole thread here on Meta and their general intolerance of MS.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majuki
Simon Mall customer service staff know exactly what most of us are doing, but it seems to be no big deal. Just ask them what the limits are, and you should be fine on a personal account. (That is... if the mall has enough to sell you. The local ones here allow $10k, and sometimes they're out of stock.)
The place I went to yesterday here on the EC, she didnt seem to care and didnt ask any questions other then which card/s did I want.

$10k Im not interested in anything close to that at least per purchase, at least till Jan. Since I found a few SMs not far from me Id rather do $2000-2500 unload them and restock, then to have $10k and find out Im stuck with them. I use another means to feed my birdies

This weekend I will be in the LA area, so I imagine I will run into alot of what folks have posted thus far in this thread. The way she had the boxes covered yesterday tells me the place I went to isnt hit upon that often 3pm and no shortage of GCs in her box
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Different SM in the same city have different rules as to purchase amounts.

About 3:00 a new staff comes on duty, so we enter and pick up 2 grand, shop and buy 2 grand on the way out.

We have on center that wants paperwork for anything over 500, think they are on a power trip.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Meta MS friendly? I think that is the first time I have seen that claim. I agree Simon seems to be but Meta in general sure isn't they banned me at AAA after less than $5k of purchases over six months. There is whole thread here on Meta and their general intolerance of MS.
I meant that despite high volume at Simon malls and filling forms Meta has not banned many people. I don't do more than 15k at a Simon mall every month, but my friend has been doing $60- $80k each month (10k each trip with form) and he has not been banned by Meta (yet). Agreed Meta is a newer provider for Simon, but they clearly know where and how majority of the Simon GC's are going.

They sure have different practices at different places. They still keep selling these gift cards despite majority of the high volume may be going towards MS with not much swipe fees and maybe not even much float given the quick liquidation.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:41 am

I meant that despite high volume at Simon malls and filling forms Meta has not banned many people.
Yeah I agree with that point but I think the differentiator there may be Simon vs. Metabank because I agree you can do volume in a day at Simon that would get you closed down real fast via other Metabank venues.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:25 pm

Anyone else ever encounter this -

Loaded 4 Simon GCs without a problem (500x3 + 499.99x1). Waited my 10 minutes and returned to load a 5th - except this time I received "Debit Not Approved Host Timeout" - tried the card a few times at kiosk to no avail then went to the register and got "Debit not Approved call authorizer"

Went out to my card and grabbed a 6th Simon card than I had. Came back in and it loaded fine at the Kiosk.

Call to the 800 number on the card confirms that the card has a full $500 balance.

So, is it possible that the network was just down for the few minutes that I was trying to load card 5, but was back up by the time I tried card 6?

Serve account shows 6 loads and 1 reversal.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, VA Silver, IHG Plat, HH Gold
same happened to me I waited a few days tried again and it worked

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.