Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
One more datapoint on how everything varies by the specific mall. I once was at Arundel Mills in MD and purchased two $500 cards with a real credit card (not an Amex GC) -- had to fill out the form, plus the woman had to call some manager type guy to approve the sale. And it took that manager type guy about 10 mins to arrive. Both employees scrutinized my form, as well as the credit card and my drivers license, very carefully.
Weird, I bought from them a couple weeks ago and it was like the first time they had ever sold one it seemed. Guess people have caught on en masse.

Originally Posted by mastermind85
Anyone know what the best rate to purchase to prevent getting blacklisted etc? (Tysons, VA if anyone has experience there)
Well, given that Tysons Corner Center isn't operated by Simon, I doubt they'll blacklist you, but rather just wonder what you're talking about and assume you are crazy.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: free agent
I was in Anchorage yesterday for my 24 hour mileage run, and Simon property wasnt too far from my hotel.. didn't stop by bec website said i am only able to get AMEX GC from management office (no thanks...) but want to see if anyone have recent datapoint at anchorage simon, in case i find myself in this freezing city again.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by thehustla
Has anyone had a problem running these on a Amex Gold Biz Card? Planning to meet min spend
I would definitely recommend calling AMEX and letting them know the amount and the location of the simon mall you are planning to visit.

All of our AMEX cards were blocked from purchases - the first time we went and you can only swipe each card once each day. Next time we called and had no issues thereafter. AMEX is a pain in the behind like that.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: UA, AA
Has anyone reported the increase of the fee for Simon mall gift cards?

Each GC is now 3.95 instead of 2.95...

My cashier said it's because so many people buy the cards. Fair enough... the law of supply and demand at its finest...
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by gorgeoustresses
Has anyone reported the increase of the fee for Simon mall gift cards?

Each GC is now 3.95 instead of 2.95...

My cashier said it's because so many people buy the cards. Fair enough... the law of supply and demand at its finest...
The change happened on Nov 24th, was reported on this thread (page 44-45 or so).
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You did not know when csr swiped the card to activate them?!

Nor you did not check the card numbers on your receipt?!

I cannot believe people would not verify the gift card numbers on the receipt before they walk away.

You may not have recourse because those sales are final.
Not true, you can return them. I once had a cashier give me AMEX by mistake, I noticed when I was leaving the mall. I returned the cards and they issued a refund.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:43 am

So now that WM BP is dead, how is everyone liquidating these? WM MO's? I'll be keeping an eye on MO's and hope WM doesn't kill that next.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by gorgeoustresses
I would definitely recommend calling AMEX and letting them know the amount and the location of the simon mall you are planning to visit.

All of our AMEX cards were blocked from purchases - the first time we went and you can only swipe each card once each day. Next time we called and had no issues thereafter. AMEX is a pain in the behind like that.
For the amex business gold, I just finished my 10k last night (2500 x 4, not on the same day) it was declined once because amex wanted to make sure it's not fraud.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler
Not true, you can return them. I once had a cashier give me AMEX by mistake, I noticed when I was leaving the mall. I returned the cards and they issued a refund.
same as my experience and the cashiers didn't give me grief for their mistake.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:24 am

So now that WM BP is dead, how is everyone liquidating these?
on my end B/P is still working at KMart and some WMs so it's not dead around here (yet).
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
on my end B/P is still working at KMart and some WMs so it's not dead around here (yet).
Thanks for your input. I'll have to do some test runs at my local WM's, I have about 5 that I go to but haven't been MS'ing in the last two weeks because I'm trying to buy a house.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:04 pm

Thanks for your input. I'll have to do some test runs at my local WM's, I have about 5 that I go to but haven't been MS'ing in the last two weeks because I'm trying to buy a house.
Can't you liquidate at least $5k/month via Serve at WM via Kate/cashier/CS? That's how I liquidated some of mine just a couple of wks ago.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dizcards
Can't you liquidate at least $5k/month via Serve at WM via Kate/cashier/CS? That's how I liquidated some of mine just a couple of wks ago.
Of course. The poster asking about this is likely one of the super high volume people.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by smitty06
I havent heard reports of anyone getting blacklisted for personal cards. Some business accounts have been shut down.
Tysons
I have been shut down about 3 months ago, when I did 10-15k per month to feed my Citi Exec purchase requirements.
As your purchases increase your name goes on a list and then they monitor your purchases (The issuing bank) and advises the concierge not to sell anymore.

I did about $60k in Total about 3 months (me and spouse) always around $2500 each time/week till they banned and asked us to contact the compliance person at the bank. I knew the outcome so did not bother calling. ( Why do your cards always get emptied in one go at walmart- lol)

So tread carefully, eventually you will be axed if you are doing any kinda high volume. I have to make the longer drive to Simon malls to feed my birds now. This would have been useful given the savings of a $ per card, but ah well. Good times.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BADELAYS
Tysons
I have been shut down about 3 months ago, when I did 10-15k per month to feed my Citi Exec purchase requirements.
As your purchases increase your name goes on a list and then they monitor your purchases (The issuing bank) and advises the concierge not to sell anymore.

I did about $60k in Total about 3 months (me and spouse) always around $2500 each time/week till they banned and asked us to contact the compliance person at the bank. I knew the outcome so did not bother calling. ( Why do your cards always get emptied in one go at walmart- lol)

So tread carefully, eventually you will be axed if you are doing any kinda high volume. I have to make the longer drive to Simon malls to feed my birds now. This would have been useful given the savings of a $ per card, but ah well. Good times.
Our Simon's CSRs told us that they banned people buying below the amount that requires filling form if said people keep coming back buying the $2500 - in their mind, you deliberately avoid compliance requirements and considered "bad people".

Filling out the form each and every time so far has not been an issue with our local Simon's where we are able to do the 10K limit per day per person as set by the corporate, though we only bought 60 to 70% of the allowance and only come in once or twice a week. Our CSR stresses that buy large qty is not the issue with the forms, buying the 2500 frequently is how "good people" inadvertently turn into "bad people" in their internal system. Our mall manager even got the design we wanted from the office when the kiosk ran out of it because someone in the morning bought 10K and a corporate account bought 20K just ahead of us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.