1. min spend
2 Arrival +
3 SPG

Last edited by retired7328; Dec 4, 14 at 12:33 pm
Old Dec 4, 14, 11:11 am

Programs: UA, DL, USAir, AA, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
It depends on one's locale.

Sunnies in my Wally World are hardcoded debit card or cash only at the POS. It also could only be bought one at a time.

There is no hassle at Simon's - all smile and laughter in and out in 10 min with split payments in however customer prefers. Do need to fill out form each time but daily amount allowed is intact. They are far more suspicious to those who dont want to fill out forms and keep buying sub 3K at this location. Those who do, after a few times, become "good people" on their internal records per the CSR.
Simon's are definitely a YMMV situation, as has been said many times on this forum. I originally drove about 50 miles to nearest Simon and purchased 5-500 VGCs for minimum spend. Wife purchased same amount a little bit later that day on different card. A few weeks later, when I went back, I asked what the max purchase was and was told $10K a day, but over $3K needed paperwork. I said give me $3k worth. She did everything and then said with the fees, the order came to over $3k and I had to fill out paperwork. I said sure and proceeded to fill it out. Nothing out of the ordinary except a space for "intended use of the cards (gift, budgeting tool, online shopping, etc)". I put down budgeting tool. I asked for a copy of the form so that I could have it filled out for future purchases and she complied. A few weeks later we found ourselves in Houston outlet mall where $2.5K purchase triggered the paperwork drill and a call to the cc bank to ensure the card was okay. Needless to say, I've been back to my closest mall to purchase more. Maybe a lot more MSers or stolen cc in Houston triggers that response.
Old Dec 4, 14, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAref2014 View Post
Simon's are definitely a YMMV situation, as has been said many times on this forum. I originally drove about 50 miles to nearest Simon and purchased 5-500 VGCs for minimum spend. Wife purchased same amount a little bit later that day on different card. A few weeks later, when I went back, I asked what the max purchase was and was told $10K a day, but over $3K needed paperwork. I said give me $3k worth. She did everything and then said with the fees, the order came to over $3k and I had to fill out paperwork. I said sure and proceeded to fill it out. Nothing out of the ordinary except a space for "intended use of the cards (gift, budgeting tool, online shopping, etc)". I put down budgeting tool. I asked for a copy of the form so that I could have it filled out for future purchases and she complied. A few weeks later we found ourselves in Houston outlet mall where $2.5K purchase triggered the paperwork drill and a call to the cc bank to ensure the card was okay. Needless to say, I've been back to my closest mall to purchase more. Maybe a lot more MSers or stolen cc in Houston triggers that response.
Exactly. People should know by now, your locale definitely determine what you can do. This extends to everything relates to the activities of the whole food chain.

The amount in my mall does not include fee.

There is no such question on the form here - so not only the allowed amount varies, the form is NOT standard either. The mall manager KNOWS what people are buying these for. She freely talked about this to us, that "most people buy them for their airline miles and hotel points." They just want to make sure people do not try to evade the form by so-called "fly under the radar." They have compliance to do, and people who tried to avoid compliance requirement would be banned after they are discovered. CSRs said she had seen "good people" inadvertently turned to "bad people" on their internal records when they tried to only buy below threshold.

There are folks come in to buy $10K a pop, all on one card. There are also corporate accounts buying $20K a pop. In fact on multiple occasions we came in the same day after such purchasers brought out all our preferred design at the kiosk. Our mall manager was super accommodating and brought new inventory out from the office.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 4, 14 at 11:48 am
Old Dec 4, 14, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Has anyone had a problem running these on a Amex Gold Biz Card? Planning to meet min spend
Old Dec 4, 14, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by thehustla View Post
Has anyone had a problem running these on a Amex Gold Biz Card? Planning to meet min spend
What problem do you possibly think there would be?
Old Dec 4, 14, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky View Post
What problem do you possibly think there would be?
Unrelated large consistent biz purchases or even worse, FR.
Old Dec 4, 14, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by retired7328 View Post
1. min spend
2 Arrival +
3 SPG
I am calculating that, using my Amex Everyday preferred on grocery stores I can be using it @ Simon mall for %1.5 MR. I am not in a big hurry and I can wait until a Bonus transfer of MR to an interesting airline. I think I can make better use of $1.5 +Bonus MR than 2.1 Arrival points on airlines. Now that Amex gold will not have the bonus 15K after spending 30K, probably will dedicate my old blue to grocery stores
Old Dec 4, 14, 1:43 pm

This is what I am doing Need to meet 10k. 5k down, and 5k to go. $2500 each time. The 3rd attempt was declined. I thought I hit my limit, but a few days latery AMEx called to make sure it wasn't a fraud because I charged 2500 at one mall, and another 2500 at another mall 2hrs later.
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo View Post
This is what I am doing Need to meet 10k. 5k down, and 5k to go. $2500 each time. The 3rd attempt was declined. I thought I hit my limit, but a few days latery AMEx called to make sure it wasn't a fraud because I charged 2500 at one mall, and another 2500 at another mall 2hrs later.
Did you get the 75k offer? Planning to apply for it
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:12 pm

At $2.95 fee for $500 and no category bonuses, the cost per point is 0.6 cents. Is that the main reason people buy this particular gift card?
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by NetBrowser07 View Post
At $2.95 fee for $500 and no category bonuses, the cost per point is 0.6 cents. Is that the main reason people buy this particular gift card?
$3.95 *

Additional, most people buy these to meet min spend to receive bonuses.
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:35 pm

Yup. 3.95 now. Minimum spend for some, MS for other.
.08 per mile is still pretty good if you want to MS for miles for Business or First class travel.
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo View Post
Yup. 3.95 now. Minimum spend for some, MS for other.
.08 per mile is still pretty good if you want to MS for miles for Business or First class travel.
Agree. 0.79 cents is still pretty good. Just curious if there were any other benefits.
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:48 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by roneyc View Post
SO and I have been filling out the form for months and don't mind. If a SAR is ever initiated, I have my VGC's and Bluebird records to prove I'm not kiting but using for legitimate expenses.

What I do mind is the daily limit of $3k. Galleria is not too far from my home but parking can be a PITA. Used to be able to get it all taken care of in a single trip.
+1, i have family in HOU that feel the same way, are you about to find any VR outlets there?
Old Dec 4, 14, 4:48 pm

Did you get the 75k offer? Planning to apply for it
The AMEX forum has a thread about this. It took me a lot of tries for the 75k to pop up. Most of the time it's 25k or 50k bonus.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: