Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:59 pm

As a further data point:

SoCal Simon- purchased 2.5k today, filled out form, no sweat. Customer behind me seemed to be on very friendly terms with the cashier; while I was filling out my form she informed her friend the cashier that she would be purchasing 9.5k that day. All smiles and gift cards.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Corelli
As a further data point:

SoCal Simon- purchased 2.5k today, filled out form, no sweat. Customer behind me seemed to be on very friendly terms with the cashier; while I was filling out my form she informed her friend the cashier that she would be purchasing 9.5k that day. All smiles and gift cards.
I've found the CA Simon Malls are better about allowing larger purchases. It might be the volume of MSers out here. In PA they limited purchases to $3k/day, but it was always hassle free. Even with the $3.95 fee at 1x, they're still a good way to hit minimum spend or top off an account.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Milesinator
In case you didn't notice, there are some real jerks in here, who think they are oh-so-smart simply because they discovered this forum before you.

Some of them *might* realize that they are too clever by a half when they get a letter from the IRS, or worse, their bank gets a civil forfeiture order from an LE agency.
Being a CPA and working for a "big bank" and the "IRS" previously.. I can't wait to read the letter that you are "speaking" of...

I guess my "Legal" purchase of one item and converting it to another "Legal" item is against the law... Don't troll please - we have enough of them here
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sandie511
I can honestly say I have read 40+ hours on MS and it does get confusing...I'll be reading one page and it talks about such and such so I open another page and start reading there, then find more info on yet another page, before long I have over 10 pages/tabs open in flyer talk taking me in all different directions and find out after reading months of info, that procedure does not work any longer, so close that page out and continue...one has to remember those that have been doing this for years know all the ins and outs and when they learned it was not as difficult to get the concept as there were not as many road blocks, thus when new info arrives they have to process just that new info...while the newbie's have to process all the info and so much of it is old, and it sure makes it mystifying on what is going on at the moment...

For instance, you just posted there is an entire thread using pinable prepaid debit cards, I put a number of different options to search that... i.e, pinable card, prepaid cards, pinable debit cards, etc and came up with 7 different threads...not in the mood to figure which one 'might' be the correct thread...as I have searched for the right threads for weeks now...Thanks for the feedback tho...take care
One thing I'll never understand is why new participants think they're the only ones to have to dig thru old material or figure things out on their own. There seems to be this perception that people who've been here for a while had it easy and it's only been recently that it's taken an amount of effort to get up to speed.

Guess what - everyone here had to do the same thing. We all had to read old material, we all had to use trial and error and we all had to get ourselves up to speed.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
One thing I'll never understand is why new participants think they're the only ones to have to dig thru old material or figure things out on their own. There seems to be this perception that people who've been here for a while had it easy and it's only been recently that it's taken an amount of effort to get up to speed.

Guess what - everyone here had to do the same thing. We all had to read old material, we all had to use trial and error and we all had to get ourselves up to speed.
+1

Reading the stuff is one thing, but people are scared to try. Its not that hard to buy a $25 gift card and try to convert for "testing purposes." If it works, go balls to the wall, if not, try another and use that $25 for groceries or gas.

People feel like they need to by a $500 card from the get go.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
If you can not afford one 500 GC, find another game.

Small change is a waste if time,

Do it or forget it.

make a day of it hit 3 or 4 malls and convert them to MO,

Or get a business account and hit 109 k, @ 1,000 a clip,

I drove to Vegas and lost a quarter in the slots, but I did go to Vegas.

Do 500, one could always BS. About a higher amount.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by Lappie
+1

Reading the stuff is one thing, but people are scared to try. Its not that hard to buy a $25 gift card and try to convert for "testing purposes." If it works, go balls to the wall, if not, try another and use that $25 for groceries or gas.

People feel like they need to by a $500 card from the get go.
^, however reading is the best way to find opportunities. because of reading the terms on a particular account i had**, i was able to abuse it up the kazoo with monkeypaks

**was shut down in july when moneypaks began to get pulled from RA.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: UR
Isn't buying $500 VGCs from Simon more expensive than Staples, 0.007838 vs .006717 (or 16.70% higher)?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QlM/edit#gid=0

Only $1k from Simon is cheaper than Staples.

Last edited by jaewang; Dec 2, 2014 at 10:09 am
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaewang
Isn't buying $500 VGCs from Simon more expensive than Staples, 0.007838 vs .006717?

Redo your math, but this time w/o a card that gives OSS bonus
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Redo your math, but this time w/o a card that gives OSS bonus
Right not every one has 5x from staples. i understand that. but most have chase ink here right?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:15 am
Suspended

Right not every one has 5x from staples. i understand that. but most have chase ink here right?
Likely, but that's not important. What matters is the card you're trying to earn points on, and Ink is but 1 of many.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't buying $500 VGCs from Simon more expensive than Staples, 0.007838 vs .006717 (or 16.70% higher)?

As of last week it is, assuming you're using an Ink at both places, but the hassle factor is much less for Simon GCs. Many office supply stores won't let you buy more than a few $200 GCs, whereas most Simon malls let you buy 19-20 $500 GCs at one time.

Then you have to get rid of them -- I buy MOs at WM, where 4 Simon GCs gain me 2 $1000 MOs. Because of the 4-card swipe limit, I could only buy 1 $800 MO at a time with the $200 cards.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Dec 2, 2014 at 10:36 am
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
As of last week it is, assuming you're using an Ink at both places, but the hassle factor is much less for Simon GCs. Many office supply stores won't let you buy more than a few $200 GCs, whereas most Simon malls let you buy 19-20 $500 GCs at one time.

Then you have to get rid of them -- I buy MOs at WM, where 4 Simon GCs gain me 2 $1000 MOs. Because of the 4-card swipe limit, I could only buy 1 $800 MO at a time with the $200 cards.
I typically do my MOs elsewhere, but when I do do it at WM, I typically do 1 $1000 with a $500, 2x$200, and $100 of a $200 card. Repeat. More swipes, but my MC employees are always happy to see me because I know what I am doing and they get a break from the other... customers.... that come in. But yet another reason to do simon over oss is that oss is limited to 50K a year. I easily reach that so if I wanted more....
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN

Agree! You just detailed out your personal cost, which is YMMV person to person. Regardless the liquidation method used (buying MOs or loading BB/Serve), the base cost is higher when comparing Simon vs Staples.

The spreadsheet is meant for newbies that want to buy $500 VGCs. Higher value GCs do not always translate to cost saving.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Higher value GCs do not always translate to cost saving.
...and cost saving is but one factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.