Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thanks for registering and sharing. The limit information is new to me.
I'm gonna get some more GCs this week from both my usual malls, I'll see how it goes!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: free agent
2.95 yesterday @ a DC area SM, but sound like i gotta buy pile of giftcards asap to dodge 2k limit. 2k limit per day? let's say i give 5 different CC so technically i could do 10k per trip to SM?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Putt86
2.95 yesterday @ a DC area SM, but sound like i gotta buy pile of giftcards asap to dodge 2k limit. 2k limit per day? let's say i give 5 different CC so technically i could do 10k per trip to SM?
I called my SM and indeed the fees are going up Monday to $3.95 but the limits are the same, up to $10k/day on a single credit card.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler
I called my SM and indeed the fees are going up Monday to $3.95 but the limits are the same, up to $10k/day on a single credit card.
One more thing, it looks like they are trying to deter people from using a cc to purchase the SM cards because the fee will remain the same at $2.95 if you pay cash.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:51 am

the SM I go to has a $10k/day limit, another nearby SM has a $2k/day limit. I wonder how these limits are set at each store.

Last edited by rtraveler; Nov 22, 2014 at 10:22 am
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Putt86
Just ask. One SM near me is 10k/day, another is $2k/day, go figure.

Last edited by rtraveler; Nov 22, 2014 at 10:22 am
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:18 am

One more thing, it looks like they are trying to deter people from using a cc to purchase the SM cards because the fee will remain the same at $2.95 if you pay cash.
I don't think they are trying to deter people. I think they are trying to make money.

This whole thing has the makings of someone's economics PhD thesis. They're actually trying to see how well they can capitalize this while staying on the right side of things. What is the target price and purchase limit needed to get the level of volume and risk mitigation that they're looking for and comfortable with? If they float the price up enough, and the volume down enough, they're eventually going to arrive at a point where the high-volume MSers and the scammers/cons - the people that Simon probably considers riskiest - lose interest. They're going to hit a sweet spot where this only works for people trying to meet bonus spend requirements. Where's that limit? Maybe they're trying to find out.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still had Simon cards from the last batch this morning, but I decided to get more of them even if I didn't get rid of the ones I had. I went to the MC at WM first and Donna was there, so there was no problem getting rid of all of them. I then drove out to the mall, bought some Lindt chocolates at the outlet store and went to get more cards. The cashier there was fairly new (she trained on me), so I didn't ask if I could do more than one order -- if it had been one of the experienced cashiers or the manager I would have. She didn't know anything about the price increase.

I went back to WM and Donna was still at the MC, so I ended up buying $9,000 more in MOs for a total of $12,000 in one morning. That's by far the most MSing I've done in one day. Now I can buy more Simons tomorrow before the increase.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: free agent
Just ask. One SM near me is 10k/day, another is $2k/day, go figure.
any chance you can share location? Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:39 pm

went to the great mall.
the usual girl said they were gona get new training next week, not sure what changes so i would assume the higher fees that have been reported is accurate
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:56 pm

Angry

Sorry if this has been asked.

Just got back from the glorious SM with 2k worth of GC's in hand to my local FD to feed serve. Got the visa tender not allowed. My fist SM attempt to serve. Do these not work with serve?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thehogsters
Sorry if this has been asked.

Just got back from the glorious SM with 2k worth of GC's in hand to my local FD to feed serve. Got the visa tender not allowed. My fist SM attempt to serve. Do these not work with serve?
You seriously asking this question?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by kaiotes
went to the great mall.
the usual girl said they were gona get new training next week, not sure what changes so i would assume the higher fees that have been reported is accurate
Please report back. Great Mall was selling $10k previously, so let us know if they lower the limits.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by kenme1
You seriously asking this question?
ok Jerkoff, yes

from page 35
"Everyone has a first post and here is mine. Have been loading Metabank Simon Mall Visa gift cards into Serve at Walmart for a couple of months. Never a issue. Today I got a "tender not available" at two different tellers at two different Walmarts. Kate was broken. Confirmed that $ was on the card, I had the correct pin, and swiped it for a coke to make sure that worked. It did. Odd thing is earlier in the day I loaded a Metabank Visa from Staples and that went fine. Yes I read the wiki and know what it says about the tender message. What do you do when that happens? Can an individual card have a hickup?"

So obviously I'm not the first to have this problem.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I still had Simon cards from the last batch this morning, but I decided to get more of them even if I didn't get rid of the ones I had. I went to the MC at WM first and Donna was there, so there was no problem getting rid of all of them. I then drove out to the mall, bought some Lindt chocolates at the outlet store and went to get more cards. The cashier there was fairly new (she trained on me), so I didn't ask if I could do more than one order -- if it had been one of the experienced cashiers or the manager I would have. She didn't know anything about the price increase.

I went back to WM and Donna was still at the MC, so I ended up buying $9,000 more in MOs for a total of $12,000 in one morning. That's by far the most MSing I've done in one day. Now I can buy more Simons tomorrow before the increase.
great deal sir, i say go back for some more

Last edited by MasterCharge; Nov 22, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.