FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Simon mall gift card(2014-2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1578495-simon-mall-gift-card-2014-2015-a.html)

jedck Aug 20, 2014 8:44 am

I was told about the new 1k limit as well, but the woman at my local mall said it'd be only for business purchases (ie filling out the form and all that)

compddd Aug 20, 2014 8:48 am

Does anyone know what Bank Blackhawk uses? Bancorp, USBank, MetaBank?

What good would these new ones be if you can't load them to BB/Serve?

Churnman Aug 20, 2014 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Volodath (Post 23394487)
Prediction - they only work at Simon Mall stores (and their affiliates...)

;)

As long as everyone and their blogger continue to pump simon for ms, then disaster looms as usual. At this point, I know there'll be new designs offered for a variety of occassions which is nice. But, let's also discuss the negatives of Blackhawk so people's expectations of ms glory with the new cards will subside into reality.

compddd Aug 20, 2014 8:55 am

Does Blackhawk have negatives?

VizeL Aug 20, 2014 9:23 am

I was gonna make my first foray to Simon's on Saturday.

Hopefully something is still there!

Volodath Aug 20, 2014 9:37 am

Originally Posted by compddd (Post 23394586)
Does Blackhawk have negatives?

Blackhawk=Bancorp=FTC Investigation=Vanilla=No MO @ WM = loss of easy MS

USB Visas are just so much less of a hassle...

Edit: Apparently I'm an idiot - while Bancorp partners with Blackhawk on some things (T-Mo Prepaid), Blackhawk runs their own payment network and issues meta-VGCs.

Churnman Aug 20, 2014 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Volodath (Post 23394810)

Truth!

MasterCharge Aug 20, 2014 11:15 am

it still should work fine at other locations for MO if it comes with a PIN.

MileageGoblin Aug 20, 2014 11:45 am

Blackhawk owns GCM who issues MetaBank GCs. Don't know where you are getting information that Simon is going to switch to Bancorp.

Ayase Aug 20, 2014 12:29 pm

I bought 5 cards yesterday, was told that the new program will be cheaper for us and will arrive in a few months.

ftomasze Aug 20, 2014 12:31 pm

You go ahead and keep thinking that.

carlitos Aug 21, 2014 6:57 am

Has anyone tried the Aventura Mall by Simon Mall MCGC from Sunrise Bank? They seem to be very good at accepting CC to buy them. Many International Latin-Americans paying with foreign cards (Forex and Int Fees). With $2.95 Activation for $500, it seems like a better option versus WD VGC. Well, I will go ahead a try one to see if Kate likes it or MO s can be issued at the MC

Churnman Aug 21, 2014 9:08 am

Originally Posted by ftomasze (Post 23395843)
You go ahead and keep thinking that.

I hope many keep thinking that too.

Churnman Aug 21, 2014 9:12 am

Originally Posted by MasterCharge (Post 23395367)
it still should work fine at other locations for MO if it comes with a PIN.

I have access to many cards that work at other places for MO, but I need ones that will work on Kate. That is key for me. As long as these stay that way in the future I'll be happy and very happy to get them in other stores as well. We can only hope for now. I liked the way things have been and the somewhat more limited availability depending on location. Once the masses can get them anywhere, that creates other problems but I'll try to stay optimistic and not think too far ahead.

jimbo18 Aug 21, 2014 11:59 am

Just got back from the mall, my favorite cashier said they won't allow AGC to purchase the visas :(

OHijAAzi73 Aug 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by jimbo18 (Post 23401305)
Just got back from the mall, my favorite cashier said they won't allow AGC to purchase the visas :(

Even the personalized ones with your name on it ?

jimbo18 Aug 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73 (Post 23401367)
Even the personalized ones with your name on it ?

Sadly yes. She called upstairs as is typical and asked if they can accept prepaid cards with the persons name on the front. Answer was no, prepaid cards are not allowed.

imdeng Aug 21, 2014 12:27 pm

I had the same experience regarding AGC. In 3 separate Simon mall locations in my area, I was told specifically that a gift card purchase is not allowed using a gift card. The AGCs I have specifically say "prepaid gift card" on the front - which was a deal breaker.

They also want to see the card first and insist in swiping it themselves. I fear using AGC for SVGC has come to an end, at least in my area.

Churnman Aug 21, 2014 1:00 pm

It was nice while it lasted. Like all good ms ways, they go away as more and more try to get in on it and discretion is lost.

RFDMinnesota Aug 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Multiple swipes (2-3) needed for Simon USBVGCs at Kate today, but the failed swipes didn't spit out error codes like to would for Vanilla variety

compddd Aug 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota (Post 23403370)
Multiple swipes (2-3) needed for Simon USBVGCs at Kate today, but the failed swipes didn't spit out error codes like to would for Vanilla variety

Might just be a bad reader on the Kate?

compddd Aug 21, 2014 10:01 pm

I just logged into my volume account at Simon and the new changes are already in place.

Can order $1000 cards and it says, "The Visa® Simon Giftcard® is issued by MetaBank®, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. Visit simongiftcard.com for more information."

There are two types of Visa cards available, VISA® Simon Giftcard® and VISA® Simon Rewardcard™

I'm not sure what the difference is.

Volodath Aug 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by compddd (Post 23404000)
I just logged into my volume account at Simon and the new changes are already in place.

Can order $1000 cards and it says, "The Visa® Simon Giftcard® is issued by MetaBank®, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. Visit simongiftcard.com for more information."

There are two types of Visa cards available, VISA® Simon Giftcard® and VISA® Simon Rewardcard™

I'm not sure what the difference is.

Looks like the same consumer vs corporate gift cards available before 09/01. Patterns are the same for consumer new vs. old, I suspect Reward Card = corporate VISAs.

compddd Aug 21, 2014 10:16 pm

Who wants to be a guinea pig and order one of the new Simon Meta's and see if they drain at WM? :)

sechs Aug 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Picked up some USB cards from my local Simon mall.

Desk person said that the impetus for the change was an update in corporate identity, i.e., Simon has a new logo and wanted new card designs with it. She said that the mall will offer several Visa designs, including a relatively plain gray one with just the Simon logo. New cards will be in next week, for sale starting the first. As some have discovered, they won't be getting any more of the old USB cards.

I'm guessing that Blackhawk was able to offer Simon a better kickback with new designs. My mall has a big rack of various gift cards, and I wouldn't be surprised if GCM stocks it.

Hbax Aug 21, 2014 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by compddd (Post 23404000)
There are two types of Visa cards available, VISA® Simon Giftcard® and VISA® Simon Rewardcard™. I'm not sure what the difference is.

The Simon Rewardcard VISA is a Prepaid Card, not a Gift Card. I wonder if it will say 'Debit' on it ?

Curiouser and curiouser.

ftomasze Aug 22, 2014 1:01 am

anyone know if the outlet locations sell GC?

Steelcurtain Aug 22, 2014 4:31 am

Yes, the outlets sell the gift cards.

I'm very concerned with Simon Mall now using Metabank. AAA used Metabank and shut me down after several $1,000 test purchases over several months.

GatorBlues Aug 22, 2014 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Steelcurtain (Post 23404915)
Yes, the outlets sell the gift cards.

I'm very concerned with Simon Mall now using Metabank. AAA used Metabank and shut me down after several $1,000 test purchases over several months.

Me too. Metabank very quickly banned me from AAA gift cards in November. Its security department told me that they view offloading the entire amount in one swipe as inconsistent with the purpose of the cards. I called only because the bank required me to call to get my money returned to me for my remaining unused cards.

Churnman Aug 22, 2014 6:05 am

Originally Posted by GatorBlues (Post 23405053)
Me too. Metabank very quickly banned me from AAA gift cards in November. Its security department told me that they view offloading the entire amount in one swipe as inconsistent with the purpose of the cards. I called only because the bank required me to call to get my money returned to me for my remaining unused cards.

This is what our big fear is and the reason many of us old timers like things the way they are. Let me sound like an old grumpy geezer: "change is bad most of the time when something worked before." But, maybe we'll find a few silver linings in this change. I can only hope.

mile ho Aug 22, 2014 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Churnman (Post 23405177)
This is what our big fear is and the reason many of us old timers like things the way they are. Let me sound like an old grumpy geezer: "change is bad most of the time when something worked before." But, maybe we'll find a few silver linings in this change. I can only hope.

Don't know what silver lining you think you might find. I had carte blanche before...

Any way you slice it, this is not good news.

MasterCharge Aug 22, 2014 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Churnman (Post 23400368)
I have access to many cards that work at other places for MO, but I need ones that will work on Kate. That is key for me. As long as these stay that way in the future I'll be happy and very happy to get them in other stores as well. We can only hope for now. I liked the way things have been and the somewhat more limited availability depending on location. Once the masses can get them anywhere, that creates other problems but I'll try to stay optimistic and not think too far ahead.

delete

MasterCharge Aug 23, 2014 3:55 pm

delete

imdeng Aug 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Adding another data point - I looked to increase my SVCG purchase yesterday and asked for 5 cards with 500 each. I was expecting some pushback - but instead the person was happy to sell me 5 cards as long as I was paying with CC and not a gift card. Did ask me to fill a form with name/address/DL# - but assured me that it was only a formality - for their own records.

Gave me his card and asked me to tell my friends that they are very friendly at that Simon mall. Strange.

I drained all the cards at my local WM on BB using Kate over two days. I ran into the 2K limit on Kate - so had to make two trips.

Majuki Aug 24, 2014 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by imdeng (Post 23418120)
Adding another data point - I looked to increase my SVCG purchase yesterday and asked for 5 cards with 500 each. I was expecting some pushback - but instead the person was happy to sell me 5 cards as long as I was paying with CC and not a gift card. Did ask me to fill a form with name/address/DL# - but assured me that it was only a formality - for their own records.

Gave me his card and asked me to tell my friends that they are very friendly at that Simon mall. Strange.

I drained all the cards at my local WM on BB using Kate over two days. I ran into the 2K limit on Kate - so had to make two trips.

The form is no big deal. I asked out of curiosity what the maximum daily amount was, and the customer service folks have always said $3,000. I've always used a credit card, so it's YMMV with gift cards.

I recently moved, but I had a good relationship with the people at my local mall before I did. They even had my number on file because their system would go down every once in awhile, and they would call me when it came back up. :D It's only 1x, but it's still the cheapest game in town if you're looking for meeting a minimum spending target, doing Evolve payments, etc. ^

imdeng Aug 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Assuming SPG Amex and no-cost drain (BB for example) - it costs $2.95 for 503 SPG points - or $12.57 assuming 2.5 cents value per SPG point. So a net gain of $9.62. Assuming monthly volume of 10K, thats $192.48 per month.

If the drain has a fee (e.g. 70 cents for Kate MO), then a 10K monthly volume nets $178.48.

Using both the channels above, a 20K monthly volume gives net benefit of $370.95 per month. Its not a bad outcome but once you count the cost of gas, your time and other hassles, I really wonder whether it is worth the effort other than for meeting hard-to-reach min. spend requirements.

Originally Posted by Majuki (Post 23418275)
It's only 1x, but it's still the cheapest game in town if you're looking for meeting a minimum spending target, doing Evolve payments, etc. ^

Majuki Aug 24, 2014 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by imdeng (Post 23418386)
Using both the channels above, a 20K monthly volume gives net benefit of $370.95 per month. Its not a bad outcome but once you count the cost of gas, your time and other hassles, I really wonder whether it is worth the effort other than for meeting hard-to-reach min. spend requirements.

My wife constantly questions my obsession of collecting miles and points. :D I happened to live down the street from a Simon property that I would pass by multiple times per day, so it really was never a deviation for me. As I said, it's not 5x, but it's not a bad route to go if you need to meet a spending requirement or want to do Evolve payments if you don't have another easy source of VGCs.

chener Aug 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Any one notice that SMVGCs not available on their web site today?

MasterCharge Aug 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by chener (Post 23422110)
Any one notice that SMVGCs not available on their web site today?

nope :p

chener Aug 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by MasterCharge (Post 23422212)
nope :p

Thanks- it looks like it was only a temporary glitch...