Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Old Nov 1, 14, 9:08 pm
  #496  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 6,901
My suggested edits:

Originally Posted by hamokmonky View Post
Wiki:

step 1: Go to SM
step 2: buy GCs
step 3: leave SM

Too hard?
arlflyer is offline  
Old Nov 2, 14, 5:55 am
  #497  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,456
fee free this week at local mall for corp purchasers. expires nov 7th.
yoyo is offline  
Old Nov 2, 14, 9:35 am
  #498  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: DFW
Programs: AA, USAir, UA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 86
Do you need to register as a business to get the $1000 VGCs or with no fees if at all? How do you justify the need to buy VGCs for business that you are running? What about various people reporting their accounts getting frozen?
sfkhan is offline  
Old Nov 2, 14, 11:21 am
  #499  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chyona
Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Posts: 401
......
MasterCharge is offline  
Old Nov 3, 14, 6:53 am
  #500  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 644
Bought my $10K yesterday on my business account - no issue at all
kingrat is offline  
Old Nov 3, 14, 11:52 am
  #501  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: CA
Programs: BA, AA, United
Posts: 424
Do you have a link for this?

I called my local Simon mall and they don't know of any promotions this week.

Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
fee free this week at local mall for corp purchasers. expires nov 7th.
rambo is offline  
Old Nov 4, 14, 2:21 pm
  #502  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 77
Are all Simon Mall VGC's PIN enabled? I just called the location closest to me and was told the $500 VGC's that they offer are not debit/PIN enabled. I'm just trying to meet a min spend requirement ASAP, and am debating whether I've gotten bogus info. Everything I've read to date about Simon VGC's tells me that they should all be PIN-enabled.
Dizcards is offline  
Old Nov 4, 14, 2:34 pm
  #503  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BOS, PVD
Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Pt, CBP Global Entry
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by Dizcards View Post
Are all Simon Mall VGC's PIN enabled? I just called the location closest to me and was told the $500 VGC's that they offer are not debit/PIN enabled. I'm just trying to meet a min spend requirement ASAP, and am debating whether I've gotten bogus info. Everything I've read to date about Simon VGC's tells me that they should all be PIN-enabled.
Yes they're. The PIN is the last 4 digits of your card number. I've been purchasing these to load onto Serve and buying MOs.
ngoc92 is offline  
Old Nov 4, 14, 2:36 pm
  #504  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by ngoc92 View Post
Yes they're. The PIN is the last 4 digits of your card number. I've been purchasing these to load onto Serve and buying MOs.
Thank you for the quick response!

I'll see how my local OSS's handle me trying to buy non-Vanilla OV's, and if that doesn't go well, I'll resort to the Simon GC's. I need $5k on an Ink right now, so $200 OSS VGC's will be better than any Simon GC's...WM liquidation not-withstanding...
Dizcards is offline  
Old Nov 4, 14, 3:23 pm
  #505  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,197
Originally Posted by Dizcards View Post
Thank you for the quick response!

I'll see how my local OSS's handle me trying to buy non-Vanilla OV's, and if that doesn't go well, I'll resort to the Simon GC's. I need $5k on an Ink right now, so $200 OSS VGC's will be better than any Simon GC's...WM liquidation not-withstanding...
Do your math again.

the $200 has a $6,95 fee versus the $500 Simon's has only $2.95 fee. Also this is assuming your Staples carry $200 which you will need 25 of them. Staples registers need manager override on any gift card purchase larger than a few hundreds, anywhere between $500 to $800 so good luck with that.

Both are readily liquidable at WM with identical methods and cost if there is any.

Even with the additional 1% from Visa Savings Edge after you registered your Ink and only would work at Staples, your cost of getting 1000 UR pts is $0.0049, versus buying the Simon's at $0.0059 - that is $1 difference per 1000 UR pts between Staples and Simon's. But you would have a lot more work handling the $200 cards.

So for a $1 big difference per 1000 UR pts you are willing to do 2.5 times more work to meet your $5K spend using the $200 cards at Staples then the $500 cards at Simon's? (handle 25 x $200 versus 10 x $500) More power to you to save that $1 big buck per 1000 UR pts...

Not to mention the Simon's let you buy up to $10K per day in most location... 2 to 3 trips you would take care of the whole thing if you dont want to freak Chase out for 1 $5K on your first purchase. You may have many more trips to Staples to accomplish that because back to back transactions, especially on brand new card, has a tendency to trigger fraud alert.
Happy is offline  
Old Nov 4, 14, 4:38 pm
  #506  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 252
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Do your math again.

the $200 has a $6,95 fee versus the $500 Simon's has only $2.95 fee. Also this is assuming your Staples carry $200 which you will need 25 of them. Staples registers need manager override on any gift card purchase larger than a few hundreds, anywhere between $500 to $800 so good luck with that.

Both are readily liquidable at WM with identical methods and cost if there is any.

Even with the additional 1% from Visa Savings Edge after you registered your Ink and only would work at Staples, your cost of getting 1000 UR pts is $0.0049, versus buying the Simon's at $0.0059 - that is $1 difference per 1000 UR pts between Staples and Simon's. But you would have a lot more work handling the $200 cards.

So for a $1 big difference per 1000 UR pts you are willing to do 2.5 times more work to meet your $5K spend using the $200 cards at Staples then the $500 cards at Simon's? (handle 25 x $200 versus 10 x $500) More power to you to save that $1 big buck per 1000 UR pts...

Not to mention the Simon's let you buy up to $10K per day in most location... 2 to 3 trips you would take care of the whole thing if you dont want to freak Chase out for 1 $5K on your first purchase. You may have many more trips to Staples to accomplish that because back to back transactions, especially on brand new card, has a tendency to trigger fraud alert.
Your analysis is right in this case if he needs to hit minimum spend quickly. If the goal is to earn points as quickly as possible, then 5x via OSS is still more effective. I order them online 9 cards at a time. You also have to consider the person's CL. If you have an Ink with a $10K CL, you could turn it over once at OSS and end up with 50K+ UR. In order to do that with SMGC, you would have to turn over your CL 5 times and that raises red flags, not to mention that you would also have to have 5x the Serve/BB accounts to liquidate them onto and do an additional 50 swipes at WM just to get the same amount of points.

Last edited by crapz1; Nov 4, 14 at 4:50 pm
crapz1 is offline  
Old Nov 4, 14, 4:42 pm
  #507  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 167
But he is getting a lot more points in the process.
fyugioh is offline  
Old Nov 4, 14, 5:44 pm
  #508  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,994
Originally Posted by Dizcards View Post
Are all Simon Mall VGC's PIN enabled? I just called the location closest to me and was told the $500 VGC's that they offer are not debit/PIN enabled.
I had to phone to set the PIN for each card. I chose to use the last 4 digits of each card for ease in remembering it, but could equally have chosen a 4 digit string meaningful to me and set that for each card.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Nov 4, 14, 5:50 pm
  #509  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,197
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I had to phone to set the PIN for each card. I chose to use the last 4 digits of each card for ease in remembering it, but could equally have chosen a 4 digit string meaningful to me and set that for each card.
I also phone in to set PIN on all cards so no need to look at the card for the PIN but use the same PIN on everything.
Happy is offline  
Old Nov 4, 14, 5:53 pm
  #510  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,197
Originally Posted by crapz1 View Post
Your analysis is right in this case if he needs to hit minimum spend quickly. If the goal is to earn points as quickly as possible, then 5x via OSS is still more effective. I order them online 9 cards at a time. You also have to consider the person's CL. If you have an Ink with a $10K CL, you could turn it over once at OSS and end up with 50K+ UR. In order to do that with SMGC, you would have to turn over your CL 5 times and that raises red flags, not to mention that you would also have to have 5x the Serve/BB accounts to liquidate them onto and do an additional 50 swipes at WM just to get the same amount of points.
Originally Posted by Dizcards View Post
Thank you for the quick response!
I'll see how my local OSS's handle me trying to buy non-Vanilla OV's, and if that doesn't go well, I'll resort to the Simon GC's. I need $5k on an Ink right now, so $200 OSS VGC's will be better than any Simon GC's...WM liquidation not-withstanding...
Isn't that is exactly what he needed, right now? Get that done quickly and he would have the 60 or 70K in hand, then do the remaining yearly earning whatever way he prefers to do. There are other ways than BB/Serve to liquidate your cards and $200 a piece is a PITA no matter whichever way you choose.
Happy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: