Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by joykid
When I went to SM to purchase GC, there was a guy on front of me doing transaction and I saw he was buying 20 of $500 GCs using Amex Gold Business credit card and have to filled out the form but he looked calm and just filled out the form. Looks like he does this thing a lot.

1. I wonder why he could do that, buying large amount ($10k) of GCs using Amex cc without worried that Amex will freeze his Amex Gold Business card and hit him with Financial Review (FR) for buying large amount of GCs? My personal experience: I bought $1000 of GCs using my Amex SPG card and paid the balance off, my account was frozen by Amex and was hit by FR !!
Or does this exception only for Amex Gold card?

2. Where can I find information about which Walmart that still have Kate active and running for loading debit GC to BB? Please share the link to the thread.
I have one local Walmart that still have Kate and I had been loading my GC to BB there but last week something happened, the "Bluebird" function is not available anymore but other functions are ok. Looks like they programmed it that way now
I haven't tried to use the option "Walmart Moneycard", does it function the same way as "Bluebird" option and will allow me to load my GC to BB?
1. You got a FR after buying ONLY $1k in GCs? That's very unusual.

2. Might want to check the WM Kiosk thread. Sorry, I forgot my spoon at home today.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:43 am

When I went to SM to purchase GC, there was a guy on front of me doing transaction and I saw he was buying 20 of $500 GCs using Amex Gold Business credit card and have to filled out the form but he looked calm and just filled out the form. Looks like he does this thing a lot.

1. I wonder why he could do that, buying large amount ($10k) of GCs using Amex cc without worried that Amex will freeze his Amex Gold Business card and hit him with Financial Review (FR) for buying large amount of GCs? My personal experience: I bought $1000 of GCs using my Amex SPG card and paid the balance off, my account was frozen by Amex and was hit by FR !!
Or does this exception only for Amex Gold card?

2. Where can I find information about which Walmart that still have Kate active and running for loading debit GC to BB? Please share the link to the thread.
I have one local Walmart that still have Kate and I had been loading my GC to BB there but last week something happened, the "Bluebird" function is not available anymore but other functions are ok. Looks like they programmed it that way now
I haven't tried to use the option "Walmart Moneycard", does it function the same way as "Bluebird" option and will allow me to load my GC to BB?
FR for 1K in GC? Jeez. What are you, unemployed with no income?? Or were you running a lot of non-ms expenses through as well perhaps?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Point of reference for all you worry worts out there. Been doing $8k every two weeks at Simon for over a year all on two SPG Amex cards (mine & wife) without any issues. Just sit back and enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by dboston1
They are well aware of why we do this. On my last trip, the woman asked if I was buying the cards for the credit card points. I said no and asked what she meant. In a rather disapproving voice she said, "lots of people are buying these just to earn points on their cards."
What is the point of lying? I would just say, yeah.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by aGeist
What is the point of lying? I would just say, yeah.
It was her general tone, plus with it all being run by Blackhawk now, who knows how long it will last. It just didn't seem like she was asking me to be friendly but more to determine whether I'd be allowed to buy them. I may just have been reading too much into it.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by dboston1
I may just have been reading too much into it.
Probably.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Same experience in the CA Bay Area - all the SM CS agents ask about your points/ trips when you buy more than 1 card. Someone's been boasting.

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
I've been MSing about $25k a month for years, and just now added simon mall GCs into my arsenal, which entails a bit of a trek for me but worth it IMO. Anyway, very first purchase I show up and the girl at the info desk tells me I can buy $20-ish (I'm not listening to this amount) to $500. I ask, "what's the most I can buy? I need thousands". To which she replies, "oh are you making points?" (Or something like that) and goes on to say "all of our points makers have been in today. Where are you going? Do you have any trips planned?"
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Probably doesn't exist - you'll need to network with other local MS.

Experiment - Cost to you is almost nothing.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
I've been MSing about $25k a month for years, and just now added simon mall GCs into my arsenal, which entails a bit of a trek for me but worth it IMO. Anyway, very first purchase I show up and the girl at the info desk tells me I can buy $20-ish (I'm not listening to this amount) to $500. I ask, "what's the most I can buy? I need thousands". To which she replies, "oh are you making points?" (Or something like that) and goes on to say "all of our points makers have been in today. Where are you going? Do you have any trips planned?"
insert facepalm emoticon.

THIS is why people who have been doing MS for a long time loathe the blogs and newbs who are, ummm, not so bright (i'm not talking about the OP, he's just relaying a story). trust me, even a year ago there was no talk like this in simon malls. MSers were an outlier back then and of the type that knew what they were doing. does anyone really believe it helps the longevity of deals to have such conversations? reading the follow-on comments, apparently, yes. my 'story' everywhere, as to why i buy cards, is fact based (i DO use the cards for this very legitimate purpose. it's just a small % of the cards i buy), and is believed by everyone because it's plausible and my real business is part of the chit chat. btw, 'points makers'?!? what is she, 9? lol

chok dee, folks. my simon ship has sailed. i'm sure all you points maker and BHN will have a long and happy partnership. i'd suggest, perhaps, approaching simon mgmt and/or BHN about some sort of point makers xmas promotion sponsored by mms...

out.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical

THIS is why people who have been doing MS for a long time loathe the blogs and newbs who are, ummm, not so bright (i'm not talking about the OP, he's just relaying a story). trust me, even a year ago there was no talk like this in simon malls. MSers were an outlier back then and of the type that knew what they were doing. does anyone really believe it helps the longevity of deals to have such conversations? reading the follow-on comments, apparently, yes. my 'story' everywhere, as to why i buy cards, is fact based (i DO use the cards for this very legitimate purpose. it's just a small % of the cards i buy), and is believed by everyone because it's plausible and my real business is part of the chit chat. btw, 'points makers'?!? what is she, 9? lol

chok dee, folks. my simon ship has sailed. i'm sure all you points maker and BHN will have a long and happy partnership. i'd suggest, perhaps, approaching simon mgmt and/or BHN about some sort of point makers xmas promotion sponsored by mms...

out.
Cannot agree more.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:14 pm

out.
Yeah we got it you are out. I think that your last 10 post about it we understand. You will be surely missed here. Personally for me I am devastated.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:43 pm

out.
I'm still loving it. I hit it pretty good, and once I fill up the bluebirds each month, I just move to MO's. This is a good producer right now. No way would I recommend people to slow down or stop. It will stop for everyone at the same time. Period. Simon didn't swap to BH just to stop selling the cards. They want these cards sold, and BH knew about them before agreeing to the contract.

I know these Simon GC were being sold about a decade ago, though that was more of a means to order cubano's via CC that didn't have your name attached to the card. If it has lived that long, BH won't be able to shut it down very quickly.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:47 am

A data point from SE Wisconsin. The clerk looked through his "process sheet" and informed me that I would need to fill out their form for any purchase of 3K or over. I asked for 2.5K - no problem, no documentation, not even ID. Unloaded 1.5K on BB@Kate yesterday, will do the rest today.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by imdeng
A data point from SE Wisconsin. The clerk looked through his "process sheet" and informed me that I would need to fill out their form for any purchase of 3K or over. I asked for 2.5K - no problem, no documentation, not even ID. Unloaded 1.5K on BB@Kate yesterday, will do the rest today.
Nicely done. When you use Kate BB@Kate to unload, do you have to do it separate $500 transactions or is there a way to specify 1.5K and then swipe 3 GC of $500/each all in one transaction?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Nicely done. When you use Kate BB@Kate to unload, do you have to do it separate $500 transactions or is there a way to specify 1.5K and then swipe 3 GC of $500/each all in one transaction?
You can't split payment at Kate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.