Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I walk in my local SM, buy my cards, shop a bit, many times on the way out they have a different lady at the counter, so I buy some more...
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
"At Houston Galleria, they always call (as in they have for months) to do a pre-auth on my CC if I'm buying multiple GCs. Slight annoyance/slowdown but NBD. You can tell because they write the pre-auth number on the form you fill out."

That is called a Code 10 Call. They are suspecting you of fraud. They are guaranteed payment if the Code 10 Operator gives them authorization, though.

I think all retailers should practice the "Code 10 Call" on large gift card transactions. It may take longer but at least they are guaranteed payment.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:26 pm
Suspended

They're not necessarily suspecting fraud. If that was the case, they'd start by asking for ID, and the issuer would likely call the cardholder or ask the person to put the cardholder on the phone. This is mostly to ensure payment will go through after gift cards have been opened and/or activated as part of the sale process.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:41 am

Has anyone encountered any issues with Chip enabled cards? The last time I picked up cards ($10K) the clerk mentioned that $3K was the new limit if my card has a chip. She rang me up anyway, and my next purchase isn't for a few more days, but wondering if anyone else has had a problem recently.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: united mileage plus
Guys,

I am extremely new to this but very intrigued by the idea of MS.
Reading this however it seems extremely complicated.
Can anyone recommend a good starting point for me to read and a good starting point to begin MS?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:01 am

Try the "Manufactured Spending" Wiki at the top of this forum.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by realmetman
Guys,

I am extremely new to this but very intrigued by the idea of MS.
Reading this however it seems extremely complicated.
Can anyone recommend a good starting point for me to read and a good starting point to begin MS?
Read as much as you can before you jump in. Because once you jump in, you're in the deep end.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DVDBob
Has anyone encountered any issues with Chip enabled cards? The last time I picked up cards ($10K) the clerk mentioned that $3K was the new limit if my card has a chip. She rang me up anyway, and my next purchase isn't for a few more days, but wondering if anyone else has had a problem recently.
They had this policy at one of my local malls when they had first gotten the chip reader machines. They said that until they got the verification system setup to use the chip cards, the limit would be $3k per card. After a few days it was back to normal.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Please continue the discussion in the new thread for 2016:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ds-2016-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.