Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Thanks. I got a couple new Amex cards for upcoming travel after not being a cardholder with them for years, so I'm treading carefully.

I need to do about $1,750 on my Amex cards. Hoping to either load gift cards to my Bluebird (which I've had for years) or use the gift cards to buy money orders at WM or elsewhere.
You shouldn't have any issues. I'd be sure to get up text fraud alerts just in case, though I suspect an FA is far more likely with an initial GC from somewhere like WM than SM.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macrophage
With the new chip system implemented, does anyone know if the holdup at the end of a large transaction the processing of the payments as a batch, or the activation of the VGCs?

It usually takes 2-3 mins for me for a 19 card purchase.
For swipe, it takes one screen to process the payment.

For chip insert, it takes multiple screens before you can remove the card. My gauge is it is 3 times longer time needed than swipe.

On top of that the receipt is much longer because swipe card produces 4 lines for the transaction while chip card produces 16 lines including terminal ID. Therefore it is 3 to 4 times longer time needed to process a transaction with a chip card.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Happy
For swipe, it takes one screen to process the payment.

For chip insert, it takes multiple screens before you can remove the card. My gauge is it is 3 times longer time needed than swipe.

On top of that the receipt is much longer because swipe card produces 4 lines for the transaction while chip card produces 16 lines including terminal ID. Therefore it is 3 to 4 times longer time needed to process a transaction with a chip card.
It's not just multiple screens to get to the signature --

Lets have this as an example (real experience):
- chip
- chip
- non-chip swipe

After all payments are taken, we just wait for 2-3 minutes for the full receipt to cut out. The wait always happens at the end.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Just got my CSP and One VIP card yesterday... planning on heading out to the mall to get 4K in cards then over to a Walmart to load up onto my One VIP
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Mcdonoughdr
Just got my CSP and One VIP card yesterday... planning on heading out to the mall to get 4K in cards then over to a Walmart to load up onto my One VIP
Good luck reloading the entire 4k today!
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Good luck reloading the entire 4k today!
By that, you mean not possible.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Bought 8 $500 cards today and had no issues! They made me do a paper with some info and authorized my card but all went well. Stopped at 2 walmarts on the way home and was able to load the first $2500 onto One VIP. Tomorrow will be the last $1500
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not just multiple screens to get to the signature --

Lets have this as an example (real experience):
- chip
- chip
- non-chip swipe

After all payments are taken, we just wait for 2-3 minutes for the full receipt to cut out. The wait always happens at the end.
Told you that the chip card has 16 lines on the receipt for one single card, versus the swipe card only produces 4 lines. The receipt is LONG if you have large amount and multiple chip cards to pay.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hiima
By that, you mean not possible.
Read the T&Cs of your prepaid card.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Happy
Read the T&Cs of your prepaid card.
I mean 4k load on to Serve not possible in one day. It'll have to be over 2 days at least.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Mcdonoughdr
Bought 8 $500 cards today and had no issues! They made me do a paper with some info and authorized my card but all went well. Stopped at 2 walmarts on the way home and was able to load the first $2500 onto One VIP. Tomorrow will be the last $1500
I tried to buy first time from the nearest Simon mall. They system is not upgraded to chip and I am unable to buy. Most of my cards have chip and so there is no way I can buy. Any workaround to this?

Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hiima
I mean 4k load on to Serve not possible in one day. It'll have to be over 2 days at least.
Loading onto one Serve card correct but when you have multiples Serve cards then you can load a lot, I have done $9.5k in one visit. Just got to have friendly CSR's and Kate helps.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by ramamosn
I tried to buy first time from the nearest Simon mall. They system is not upgraded to chip and I am unable to buy. Most of my cards have chip and so there is no way I can buy. Any workaround to this?

Thanks.
Not quite understand...can't you just swipe the card like before?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kenme1
Loading onto one Serve card correct but when you have multiples Serve cards then you can load a lot, I have done $9.5k in one visit. Just got to have friendly CSR's and Kate helps.
However OP said "my One VIP" which would indicate 1 card. hiima was 100% accurate when he stated not possible to buy $4k in VGCs and then go to WM to unload those (on same day).
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:45 pm

My simon mall was out of stock of visa today. Person was like man u should come early in the morning. First come First serve.

My fellow MSers in DFW emptying out the racks of simon mall.

Even the nearby best buy was out of stock of visa.2 days back it had around 10 to 15 cards. Damn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.