Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:59 pm

Everyone (clerks - grocery store, staples/office depot, etc.) usually know fully well why I am buying GC's ... these people aren't dumb, even if you want to think they are.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by WackNut
With the average interchange fee of 1.6% I can't see how they can profit, so I can see why they would care...
My guess is that it's not Simon that pays the fee. It's probably USB that acts as the acquiring bank and takes hit on the fees. But USB expects to recoup that cost and some more as the GC is used, since they would be the ones collecting fees. MS via GC is probably loss-making proposition for them, but I guess they don't care as long as it's not significant enough. If the masses are doing it, they would probably get out of the GC business altogether, or raise fees/charge more fees for CC purchases to cover the cost. This is what has happened to online options.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by pritomd
Neat that they actually are okay with it. Now I wish the same was true on the other side with Walmart employees Then again, I guess they don't win out as much.
So true. And the aggravating thing for me is that sometimes Wally folks have different policies even when they are working side by side. At my local Walmart, there are a few who are completely nonchalant about a series of GC unloads, and then there are a few who are GC haters. When they are working the same shift, it's literally luck of the draw. Well, I should be happy that Wally still is a GC unload option in my area, cause it's the last remaining option for me.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by crazy_p.o.w.
Sometimes when asked, I will just say that I am doing a home remodel and I give this to my contractors to buy materials. Makes budgeting easier, tracking purchases and don't have issues with payment or money going missing.
Kind of hard to keep with that one when my wife and I are in twice a week buying $10k each. I went with the truth a while back and nobody has asked since.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Chelski
I always tell them they are gifts for myself. My primary mall knows as well. There is nothing to hide, nor is there a reason to broadcast. The ladies actually enjoy me coz I'm not coming in having them fill out a form coz the kiddie rides ate someone's quarter or asking for VIP books.
The first time i walked into my SM to buy cards, the sales guy just said 'how many' and instantly started processing them at $500 each, without me even saying the amount. Never asked what i was doing with them, they knew already.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Kind of hard to keep with that one when my wife and I are in twice a week buying $10k each. I went with the truth a while back and nobody has asked since.
You have a black card and MS with your wife?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kudu19
"Oh that's it? I thought you were one of those guys that come here to buy 20 or 30 at a time. They spend $10,000 to $15,000 at a time"

YMMV at your location of course but I thought the limit was 19 cards with total purchase under $10K. I always get 19 x 5 for $9500 plus fees.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Remodeling Bill Gates house???
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
YMMV at your location of course but I thought the limit was 19 cards with total purchase under $10K. I always get 19 x 5 for $9500 plus fees.
19@$500, 1@$400 usually so ~$9980
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
My locations want the total to be below $10k including fees.

As I said YMMV.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
My locations want the total to be below $10k including fees.

As I said YMMV.
I was just letting you know they will do more than 19 cards since you said you thought that 19 was the limit. Mine has place a limit of 19 @ $500. And yes YMMV.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just letting you know they will do more than 19 cards since you said you thought that 19 was the limit. Mine has place a limit of 19 @ $500. And yes YMMV.
At my Simon they've twice suggested buying a >$500 card to come closer to $2K, but I like the multiples of $500. A $900 MO annoys me.

And yes, they do know what we're doing.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
At my Simon they've twice suggested buying a >$500 card to come closer to $2K, but I like the multiples of $500. A $900 MO annoys me.

And yes, they do know what we're doing.
I will have to ask my mall coz I'd like to get greater than $500 if they allow it especially if it's like $900 since it's easy to liquidate at WM. I always get the odd card in a different style.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will have to ask my mall coz I'd like to get greater than $500 if they allow it especially if it's like $900 since it's easy to liquidate at WM. I always get the odd card in a different style.
Did I do the arrow backwards? I meant less than $500.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVP GOLD, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PenneyPincher
Trying to get the image out of my mind... a manager standing on a pier talking to it about MS...

I handle rental properties for myself and sometimes for family members. We all have several of them. I've had clerks remark that's A LOT of money in GC'S! even for just 1 or 2 500.00 cards! I ask them if they like having to pay the gas company almost 4.00 to pay the gas bill online? Then I tell them that I have MANY gas bills and I pay them free with this debit card and the GC fee is covered with the cashback on my CC. They are satisfied with that and remark that it's clever, rather than worrying whether they just allowed a criminal to rip the store off or perform some other illegal act.

A little schmoozing and they are happy happy happy to sell me what I want.
Everybody happy happy happy!
Clearly "pier" was a typo lol, i wasn't thinking about fishing haha.

Glad to see that SM don't mind what we are doing and i do agree, more GC's mean more fees for them so why would they care. As i said, i'm still new to this so based on other's experience if saying what we are doing is not a problem i won't feel i need to hide anything hereon. So far SMGC is the best way to go given the lower fees.
Thank you all for the good advice as always

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.