Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Do not accumulate more cards than you can comfortably float for an extended period of time. Available routes to unload GC's can suddenly disappear at any time.
After all the research I've done that's the number one rule I follow. I always have plan to unload my floating funds. ^
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
Originally Posted by Flyby01
That was me. I ended up visiting the Orlando Premium Outlet Malls since I was in the area. I only purchased $1k in Simon GCs. I also visited the Florida Mall, which is not a Simon Mall. They were only selling AGCs over there.
The Florida Mall is a Simon Mall. Absolutely it is, even still. We have purchased at least $30K over the last few Orlando trips, making our trips pay for themselves.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by RedCyclone02
Anyone have issues using a Simon Mall gift card at Kate today? I tried several times.... got a piece of paper each time that stated debt transaction not available - please contact financial institution. Never was able to load.
I had similar issue with reloading Serve with SMGC. It only happened on one of my Serve accounts though. The other worked fine. I used Kate after getting the same slip at a cashier. I have another BB account, but the card was in the car so I didn't try it. I have a min spend coming up, so I'll try it again next week.

Last edited by roconor40; Oct 4, 2015 at 9:23 am
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by roconor40
I had similar issue with reloading Serve with SMGC. It only happened on one of my Serve accounts though. The other worked fine. I used Kate after getting the same slip at a cashier. I have another BB account, but the card was in the car so I didn't try it. I have a min spend coming up, so I'll try it again next week.
When was this? I couldn't reload a Redbird with an OVGC last night, I wonder if Amex's systems were having problems.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by t325
When was this? I couldn't reload a Redbird with an OVGC last night, I wonder if Amex's systems were having problems.
This was on 09/30. I loaded $1500 on Redbird on 10/01 with SMGC's no problem.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:28 am

Why all the SMGC?

I recently got into MS to satisfy a large minimum spend and to earn my wife some AA EQM using her Barclay Silver Aviator (get her to platinum). I've been going to the local Simon Mall. In talking to the manager at guest services, he said there are several people who purchase 19 cards at a time (just under $10k), and they do so frequently. I've read that SMGC code as department store. Is there a particular card that serious MS's are using to justify such large and frequent purchases, perhaps a particular cashback card or a card with department store bonus?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:43 am

Wink

Originally Posted by munchcolo
I've read that SMGC code as department store.
Where?

You didnt read a few pages back.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:45 am

I've read that SMGC code as department store.
My purchases of SMGCs are coded as "professional services"
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:06 am

Is simon mall GCs the cheapest way to MS?

Giftcards.com has raised their fees and it does not make sense anymore.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by gauravpgupta
Is simon mall GCs the cheapest way to MS?

Giftcards.com has raised their fees and it does not make sense anymore.
I would say they're certainly the least hassle method for satisfying minimum spend. If you're able to do the 10k, it's a good haul for the fast transaction time.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Majuki
I would say they're certainly the least hassle method for satisfying minimum spend. If you're able to do the 10k, it's a good haul for the fast transaction time.
+1, quick and easy at a cost of ~$0.079pp. While not the most lucrative it is just one method to accumulate points/miles or meet min spend rather easily.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently got into MS to satisfy a large minimum spend and to earn my wife some AA EQM using her Barclay Silver Aviator (get her to platinum). I've been going to the local Simon Mall. In talking to the manager at guest services, he said there are several people who purchase 19 cards at a time (just under $10k), and they do so frequently. I've read that SMGC code as department store. Is there a particular card that serious MS's are using to justify such large and frequent purchases, perhaps a particular cashback card or a card with department store bonus?
It's not the most lucrative but it's simpler and easier than many other methods. I look at it this way -- if I use an AA card and deposit into a Redcard, I'm getting miles at a rate that will earn a trip to Asia in C for $958. Even if I go the MO route, the C trip will cost only $1042. If I use my Citi DC card, I can offset the spend completely, although then I'm only getting a little over half the points for each trip to Simon.

I think this is the best way to get miles or points from cards that are only 1x, plus it's a large chunk of MS if you can get the max number of cards.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
It's not the most lucrative but it's simpler and easier than many other methods. I look at it this way -- if I use an AA card and deposit into a Redcard, I'm getting miles at a rate that will earn a trip to Asia in C for $958. Even if I go the MO route, the C trip will cost only $1042. If I use my Citi DC card, I can offset the spend completely, although then I'm only getting a little over half the points for each trip to Simon.

I think this is the best way to get miles or points from cards that are only 1x, plus it's a large chunk of MS if you can get the max number of cards.

Why wouldn't you use Starwood card for all milage earning through this method? Then you get 1.25 miles per $1 spent.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Why wouldn't you use Starwood card for all milage earning through this method? Then you get 1.25 miles per $1 spent.
True, but diversification, credit limits and risk management matter. There are only a couple of cards that earn starpoints (personal and bus) but several that earn AA miles.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:05 pm

Is there a particular card that serious MS's are using to justify such large and frequent purchases, perhaps a particular cashback card or a card with department store bonus?
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
The EQ can be good as well as just miles/points. Also, it's a good way to get a status quickly (hotel or air). If you want a certain status for Marriott or Hilton etc then you can buy in increments of $10k. Additionally, you get al the points as well. With the Discover double Cashback it can be good for that. It's not the greatest return but you can always redeem for discounted GCs to make it go a bit further. If I'm going by the SM then I'm gonna get 20 cards but I won't make a special trip unless I'm going for a particular status. You could get SW companion pass without having to churn CCs. It only takes 2-3 flights with companion to recover the MS cost. obviously,it's much better if you can do 2 CCs. I have $550 booked in flights in November with CP so $1100. No more cash out of pocket, just points. I'd get SM for SW pts over buying a ticket any day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.