Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Old Sep 6, 15, 1:55 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Lucky888; Oct 17, 15 at 11:01 pm
Old Sep 8, 15, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
I went to the Galleria today here in Houston and dipped my toe in the Simon GC pool. Totally painless, except they asked to fill out the form for $1000+ purchase. I bought 1 $500 VGC and left. I might go back and buy $2-3k and fill out the form and then just cool it.
I just started MS'g this past weekend and it went off without a hitch and I will be visiting a friend in Houston this weekend and plan on hitting up that same mall
Old Sep 8, 15, 6:23 pm

Still trying to figure this MS stuff out.

Finally found the grey simon mall gift card.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking to buy $5k worth of these cards per month using my sapphire preferred card and then loading them to redbird or bluebird. After that I will use red/bluebird to pay the credit card off. Buying a $500 gift card at a $4 fee is .8%. Charging the sapphire will get me a bonus of 1%. Small profit but being able to transfer those points to a partner airline will make them more valuable.

Is this logical?

Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 15, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by pootie316 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking to buy $5k worth of these cards per month using my sapphire preferred card and then loading them to redbird or bluebird. After that I will use red/bluebird to pay the credit card off. Buying a $500 gift card at a $4 fee is .8%. Charging the sapphire will get me a bonus of 1%. Small profit but being able to transfer those points to a partner airline will make them more valuable.

Is this logical?

Thanks.
Sure. If the profit margin makes sense considering the costs of time and effort, go for it. If, however, you have means of MS more efficiently, you should probably prioritize that.
Old Sep 8, 15, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this logical?

Thanks.
why is your profit from SAP only 1%? do you plan on using your UR pts to buy a rev tkt? also I prefer not to use the Amex acct to pay off the CC that I used for the GCs except if its an Amex CC Im paying off eg I used a Citi CC to buy the SGCs I will use the funds to pay off a Chase CC but not any Citi CC
Old Sep 8, 15, 11:58 pm

bought 2 cards today, one loaded at walmart just fine but the other one won't. kept saying to use a different card. anyone encounter this problem?
Old Sep 9, 15, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
bought 2 cards today, one loaded at walmart just fine but the other one won't. kept saying to use a different card. anyone encounter this problem?
call the # on the back and input what they ask of you , if you dont get past the exp date (it doesnt ask for the sec code on the back) then the card was never activated and you will to bring it back to the mall you purchased it at. If it tells you the amount you put on it, then try again with a cashier if you used a kate the 1st time
Old Sep 9, 15, 7:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by craz View Post
why is your profit from SAP only 1%? do you plan on using your UR pts to buy a rev tkt? also I prefer not to use the Amex acct to pay off the CC that I used for the GCs except if its an Amex CC Im paying off eg I used a Citi CC to buy the SGCs I will use the funds to pay off a Chase CC but not any Citi CC
FYI OP, there is no harm in paying off the credit card that you used to buy the GCs with. It's a personal choice of some but then there are others like me that have been paying off the same credit card for a long time with no AA. So yes, you can buy with your SAP and then use your Redbird/BB/Serve to pay off your SAP. If you want to diversify, you can also pay ANY other bill you have. Mortgage, student loan, other CCs, etc but no reason to if you don't want to.
Old Sep 9, 15, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 15 at 8:37 pm
Old Sep 9, 15, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
since that poster mentioned using and paying off their Chase SAP CC, I take it you have been doing the same with a Chase CC and never had any problems? Awhile back some folks ran into trouble with Chase as they knew exactly what they were up to since they paid it off as youre suggesting and were shut down So please confirm that you are buying tons of GCs with a Chase CC and paying it off with the likes of a BB ,RC or serve and havent had any problems
I will not say that I have specifcally done this scenario on Chase only. However, this is no different than going to Simon Mall, buying GCs with Chase, and then going to WM to do billpays which I have done many times. I suspect that the issue you refer to may have more to do with loading Serve with Chase, i.e. $1k to $1.5k and then directly paying that exact amount back. I know some are scared of this. My sister though did exactly that for months with no AA and that's the most she spent on that card at any time.

Not to mention that Chase is finicky anyways. There is no "safe" thing to do or not to do other than not doing all 5x in Office stores on Ink lol. As always though, don't do more than 1x your CL in a month and do other spend on the card. At $5k/month only though, OP would be at the lower end of the MS totem pole. Also, I wouldn't suggest to just send a straight $5k if that's the worry. Spread it out a little, send $1k and then $2k, and $1.5k, etc.

Last edited by cdancer20; Sep 9, 15 at 9:00 am
Old Sep 9, 15, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 15 at 8:41 pm
Old Sep 9, 15, 10:07 am

lets put Simon on the side for now. Its been posted that you can use your Amex to buy GCs and use your BB,RC Serve to pay it off w/o any worry. Its been said dont do that with Chase.I used Citi as an ex, AFAIK Citi hasnt been a problem, the fact that you or someone you know hasnt had any problems with Chase is great, neiher have I but I still wouldnt tell someone else to go ahead and do it as long as there were reports of folks having problems with Chase. Or at least let the person know that some folks have had problems in the past with Chase and let them decide how they want to proceed.

I think paying off a very small amount to Chase shouldnt raise any problems eg $325.87 as long as $500 wasnt the total due.Nor would I pay it all off from 1 acct when doing so. So yes paying 1k-2k-3k as you said I would never do, unless I couldnt care if Chase shut me down
Everything with MS is a risk. Regardless of the bank. That's common sense. IME though most people that have had issues with Chase was buying GCs in bonus categories and getting shut down from there or doing 70-80% MS on the card. I am not personally aware of anyone that got shutdown specifically for only buying GCs at 1x at Simon Malls. If there are, then feel free to add that data point for the OP. I do not have that data point to add so I will not/cannot. Also, I highly doubt that the people shutdown were shutdown b/c they paid via Serve/BB/Redcard. They were shutdown b/c they spent $XX on GCs, period. The banks are not stupid. If they find out you are spending that much on GCs every month, they will know what you are doing regardless of how you pay the credit card off each month.
Old Sep 9, 15, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last edited by craz; Sep 12, 15 at 8:45 pm
Old Sep 9, 15, 11:53 am

But as with most other things since you already formed your opin you have to be right and everyone else wrong
As I said in my very FIRST post, everyone has their own personal choice of what to do. Do what you are comfortable with. End of story.
Old Sep 9, 15, 1:24 pm

Is this logical?

Thanks.
You've gotten different perspectives from senior members here in terms of the liquidation part. Whether it's logical to SM at 0.8%, it highly depends on which airlines you're transferring your Ultimate Rewards to and how you plan to use the miles for. For instance, if you're looking at SQ or Avios, you can probably do much better with other options, even by factoring in the devaluation from Membership Rewards. If you're looking at UA, just remember you're paying $800 for every 100k miles and you should factor in those costs when you're calculating your intended redemptions. With the right cards, UA miles can come much cheaper than 0.8%.

IMHO, 0.8% is expensive for most miles-earning cards and cashback cards make a bit more sense to me. Others might disagree, so it all depends on your objectives.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: