Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Why use anything else when you have Wally W. MOs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Gold

So I have been in the points a miles game for 3 years now. This is my first month heavily pursuing MS. Mostly because my gf and I signed up for 5 credit cards on our last apporama and need to spend $20k in the next 3 months.

I have nailed down buying visa gc at drugstores for 4.95 per $500.

So for $1000 I pay $9.90. Then I go over to wally w. and get a $1000 MO for $0.70. So my total cost for $1k is $10.60 or 1.06 cents per mile. No category bonuses right now. I also have the ability to buy some of my gc at 2.95 for $500 which I also change to MOs at wally w and then deposit back into my bank. Im only using MS right now to meet minimum spending requirments. The only time it would seem worth it to me to MS just of the purpose of earning those points is when I can use my chase ink card at office supply stores for the 5x bonus, but I have only been able to find $200 gift cards for a 5,95 fee, but that is alot of time at Wally W working through that many gift cards.

My question is this, why do I need Bluebird or any of the others when Ive got this system down? Am I at risk with having too many MOs hit my bank account in one month? I cashed out $8k in the last 2 weeks using this method.

I read about some of the portal opportunities to sometimes make a little profit churning a few gc s, but it seems like alot of work for little benefit unless you can churn through many thousands of $ quickly. Any advice on that? How many gift cards are people buying at once?
Old May 8, 2014, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by alaskantraveler
So I have been in the points a miles game for 3 years now. This is my first month heavily pursuing MS. Mostly because my gf and I signed up for 5 credit cards on our last apporama and need to spend $20k in the next 3 months.

I have nailed down buying visa gc at drugstores for 4.95 per $500.

So for $1000 I pay $9.90. Then I go over to wally w. and get a $1000 MO for $0.70. So my total cost for $1k is $10.60 or 1.06 cents per mile. No category bonuses right now. I also have the ability to buy some of my gc at 2.95 for $500 which I also change to MOs at wally w and then deposit back into my bank. Im only using MS right now to meet minimum spending requirments. The only time it would seem worth it to me to MS just of the purpose of earning those points is when I can use my chase ink card at office supply stores for the 5x bonus, but I have only been able to find $200 gift cards for a 5,95 fee, but that is alot of time at Wally W working through that many gift cards.

My question is this, why do I need Bluebird or any of the others when Ive got this system down? Am I at risk with having too many MOs hit my bank account in one month? I cashed out $8k in the last 2 weeks using this method.

I read about some of the portal opportunities to sometimes make a little profit churning a few gc s, but it seems like alot of work for little benefit unless you can churn through many thousands of $ quickly. Any advice on that? How many gift cards are people buying at once?
Just keep doing what you are doing. No point in trying to break what is working for you.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Just keep doing what you are doing. No point in trying to break what is working for you.
Good advice. I think where people get into trouble is when they go into the deep-end too fast. It's easy to get greedy and want more and more, but there are always risks involved. With that said, if you decide to go with more options, make sure you not only know what your doing, but know what risks you are taking, so you're not surprised when they happen.

You've been doing this hard for a month. Stick with that and see what happens. It's like they say with drinking: you know your own limits.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:40 am

I'm very new to this, but I have stayed away from the MO route because of perceived risks. Buying money orders from me, to me, then depositing it into my everyday bank account for MS just sounds like it would attract way too much attention. I know a lot of people do it and have success. I just can't wrap my head around it yet. The risk (no matter how small) of my bank account and/or my MSing credit card of choice being shut down doesn't appeal to me.

I have considered opening a new account at a small local bank or credit union for the sole purpose of depositing a few thousand worth of MO's each month and then transferring that money to my main bank account. But again... I think that would instantly raise red flags.

All that said, if your current system works, then I tip my hat to you. It seems everyone that's in this has their preferred choice(s), so enjoy what works for you, and the vacations you will get to experience.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:24 am

I still use my 3 Bluebird accounts because I have access to VR.

If that access went away, I'd just go the MO route. Too much of a hassle loading Bluebird.

I don't go to Wal-Mart at all. I get MOs elsewhere - no long lines with the bowels of society at Wal-Mart. Another added benefit is the Western Union ones I get seem to read better depositing @ ATMs.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: AA PLT
Many of us have lost Wally's MOs because of new MSers' lack of discretion.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by healthnut
Good advice. I think where people get into trouble is when they go into the deep-end too fast. It's easy to get greedy and want more and more, but there are always risks involved. With that said, if you decide to go with more options, make sure you not only know what your doing, but know what risks you are taking, so you're not surprised when they happen.

You've been doing this hard for a month. Stick with that and see what happens. It's like they say with drinking: you know your own limits.
What if you don't?

Old May 8, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by f0xx
What if you don't?

You get drunk, you fall down - you get up and do it all over again.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:06 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by traveltogo
I'm very new to this, but I have stayed away from the MO route because of perceived risks. Buying money orders from me, to me, then depositing it into my everyday bank account for MS just sounds like it would attract way too much attention. I know a lot of people do it and have success. I just can't wrap my head around it yet. The risk (no matter how small) of my bank account and/or my MSing credit card of choice being shut down doesn't appeal to me.

I have considered opening a new account at a small local bank or credit union for the sole purpose of depositing a few thousand worth of MO's each month and then transferring that money to my main bank account. But again... I think that would instantly raise red flags.

All that said, if your current system works, then I tip my hat to you. It seems everyone that's in this has their preferred choice(s), so enjoy what works for you, and the vacations you will get to experience.
I am totally with you on this one.. I also don't feel comfortable doing the MO thing and so I use BB.. it's just a matter of what works for you..
Old May 8, 2014, 8:12 am

The longer you MS, the more comfortable you become with it. At the beginning, I never dared get more than $1,000 worth of VRs or GCs at once. Now, I would get $10,000 at once if I could. Once you realize that MSing is 100% legal and do it more often, you will become more comfortable with these large amounts. Until then, do not feel bad about how you MS. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. There is nothing wrong with that.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Many of us have lost Wally's MOs because of new MSers' lack of discretion.
How exactly did that happen?
Old May 8, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
How exactly did that happen?
Kates near me have not sold MOs in quite some time, so a visit to the MC has been required. Until a month or so ago, this was generally not a problem, but on recent visits I've been turned down asking to buy with a split tender before even taking out a card. From a little gentle probing, it seems that customers have been coming in asking how to use GCs to buy MOs.

Apparently, this has made managers of local Wally Expresses uncomfortable, so they've put an end to the practice. One store has tightened up so much that they posted signs saying that all financial transactions must be done at the counter, not the register -- including BB loads. Obviously, when Kate is being cooperative, this isn't an issue, but I went in last night to do some loading she was turned off. I waited at least 10 minutes at the empty MC counter until a manager showed up just in time to chastise the cashier who took pity on me and offered to load at her register.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Kates near me have not sold MOs in quite some time, so a visit to the MC has been required. Until a month or so ago, this was generally not a problem, but on recent visits I've been turned down asking to buy with a split tender before even taking out a card. From a little gentle probing, it seems that customers have been coming in asking how to use GCs to buy MOs.

Apparently, this has made managers of local Wally Expresses uncomfortable, so they've put an end to the practice. One store has tightened up so much that they posted signs saying that all financial transactions must be done at the counter, not the register -- including BB loads. Obviously, when Kate is being cooperative, this isn't an issue, but I went in last night to do some loading she was turned off. I waited at least 10 minutes at the empty MC counter until a manager showed up just in time to chastise the cashier who took pity on me and offered to load at her register.
Mind if I ask which WM is this (to avoid)? PM if needed. Thanks.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:50 am

From a little gentle probing, it seems that customers have been coming in asking how to use GCs to buy MOs.
Smh...
Old May 8, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lad2
Mind if I ask which WM is this (to avoid)? PM if needed. Thanks.
+1, I'm interested in knowing this as well. PM if you'd prefer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.