Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Double dipping staples: combining gift cards

Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points

The staples online visa deal can be made even sweeter as portals will give points for gift card purchases made with staples gift cards.

The problem is that staples.com limits you to five gift cards in a transaction so you'd have to make lots and lots of transactions. For me, I use a churn that results in $25 staples cards ...

Any suggestions other than buying B&M and returning?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:04 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
The staples online visa deal can be made even sweeter as portals will give points for gift card purchases made with staples gift cards.

The problem is that staples.com limits you to five gift cards in a transaction so you'd have to make lots and lots of transactions. For me, I use a churn that results in $25 staples cards ...
can you expand on your *churn*?

also you're saying go thru portals to first buy staples GC (and get points/cb/miles on your CC + w/e the portal bonus is,) then go thru same portals and purchase visa GCs with staples GC and the portals will still give you CB/points?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FTRox87
can you expand on your *churn*?

also you're saying go thru portals to first buy staples GC (and get points/cb/miles on your CC + w/e the portal bonus is,) then go thru same portals and purchase visa GCs with staples GC and the portals will still give you CB/points?
search for meijer, i have a thread dedicated to this.

Yes I have verified that portal will give points for staples.com 3rd party GC purchased with staples GC.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:00 am

FYI, buying gift cards with gift cards online at staples.com is a bannable offense. It might go through a few times, but if you do it consistantly on a regular basis they will catch up with you eventually. Not something you want to do as then any purchase made through staples.com, legit or otherwise, will not ship. They literally blacklist your address permenantly and the only solution is to move....

Just thought you might want to know this before you get in too deep
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:03 am

Any suggestions other than buying B&M and returning?
There are already two new threads discussing Staples VGCs. Do we really need a third thread?

Last edited by silver4300; Apr 29, 2014 at 8:08 am
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by silver4300
There are already two new threads discussing Staples VGCs. Do we really need a third thread?
I think he's talking about using Staples GC to buy other GC. Double dipping...
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
FYI, buying gift cards with gift cards online at staples.com is a bannable offense. It might go through a few times, but if you do it consistantly on a regular basis they will catch up with you eventually. Not something you want to do as then any purchase made through staples.com, legit or otherwise, will not ship. They literally blacklist your address permenantly and the only solution is to move....
I'll have to run the cost of buying multiple po boxes.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:34 am

Any suggestions other than buying B&M and returning ?
most portals eventually deduct cash back earned by such
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
most portals eventually deduct cash back earned by such
I was trying to consilidate gift cards. You can do that by buying something with say 10 $25 GCs, and then when you return you get one $250 gc.
Old May 2, 2014, 6:31 am

I went online to purchase VGC with Staples e GC (purchased thru my son's high school band program) my order was canceled and now I've got staples e gift cards with no balances! A few calls to staples to correct-still working on getting my balance back. In the meantime, any tips on how I'll be able to spend these? Have I been banned from purchasing VGC? Use another email address? Another physical address?
Old May 2, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
They don't let these slip through very often anymore. I used to do it all the time with discounted staples GCs, but haven't been able to get one through for 2 weeks and it's annoying to have your GCs tied up in limbo
Old May 2, 2014, 8:13 am

@pointsmom

See post number 4. One suggestion is to buy FAR items.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:14 am

Bump, I have way too many $15 Staples GCs. Any good way to combine all my GCs into 1? Just go to the store and ask them? I don't want to do anything that causes ill will towards me at Staples.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Bump, I have way too many $15 Staples GCs. Any good way to combine all my GCs into 1? Just go to the store and ask them? I don't want to do anything that causes ill will towards me at Staples.
Have you found a way to combine them? I am stuck with tons of small denomination Staples GCs that I would like to combine.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by cyclotron
Have you found a way to combine them? I am stuck with tons of small denomination Staples GCs that I would like to combine.
i did this on accident: used them all to buy an item then returned it next day
they gave me one big card instead of ~10 little ones

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.