Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by stevester
Like amex which receives some travel itineraries on purchases, do you guys think chase would receive line item information from the sales.

Specially since they promote office supply stores with 5x points, wouldnt they have some kinda program in place with staples to do this?
No.

Look for the merchants you're purchasing through in this list:

https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/

Avoid Level 3's... those give out itemized list. All Staples and OD's in my area are lvl 2's.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by SpootyPuff
No.

Avoid Level 3's... those give out itemized list. All Staples and OD's in my area are lvl 2's.

Thanks. The staples I buy from doesnt have anything listed for 'Enhanced Data Level'.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:48 pm

anyone buy them online lately? i bought a few and it looks like gcm changed their website a little. giftcardmall.com/activate now leads to a page that requires login. I made an account, but was still unable to activate. this is so frustrating, I'll probably end up calling to activate.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Roudrani
anyone buy them online lately? i bought a few and it looks like gcm changed their website a little. giftcardmall.com/activate now leads to a page that requires login. I made an account, but was still unable to activate. this is so frustrating, I'll probably end up calling to activate.
giftcardmall purchase is not generally discussed on this thread - I believe that in this thread "buying online" would mean buying from staples.com. Try this thread -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ck-tip-34.html
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Man, my memory is failing me and I am getting mixed up with all the different gift cards. Can someone remind me if the Staples VGC bought in store need to have PIN set? What about the ones bought online?
last 4 pin
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by craz
Its a very YMMV issue, as some stores will limit you to 2, others will 1st call your CC and tell them you want to buy $XXXX in gift cards is it OK. Generally most stores will sell you up to $2k and that includes the fees , so 9 GCs of $200 is the max. But then your CC wont like it and will mostly put ahold on the CC if they see the same amount being charged every time = you have to be creative how you go about the buying and dont try to buy them all on the same day.

I think any purchase over $400 or $500 requires the override and the mgr inputting their code for the transaction to complete, which sometimes can take upwards of 10 mins till the mgr gets to the reg and even longer if they stepped out or are in the private office (loo)
confirm. my store in ct max $2000
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by SpootyPuff
No.

Thanks for the link... just one caveat to those trying... apparently this only works in IE...no dice in firefox/chrome.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by sean79
confirm. my store in ct max $2000
In most Staples locations, the max is 2000 INCLUDING the fees. So you can only buy 9 200s at once.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:19 pm

$20 rebate on $300+ purchase of AGC @ Staples through 2015.06.13

I know it's not a VGC, per thread title.

Through June 13, Staples is offering a $20 rebate on purchases of $300+ in AGC's.

Use the AGC's to purchase VGC's.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by 10PN2s

Through June 13, Staples is offering a $20 rebate on purchases of $300+ in AGC's.

What you suggested is definitely an option if you don't mind jumping through another hoop and then paying the extra $5 in activation fees. It may fit for some but this deal is not for me.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by 10PN2s

should also specify that the $20 rebate is a Staples gift card, not Visa
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Roudrani
Originally Posted by tomsam
giftcardmall purchase is not generally discussed on this thread - I believe that in this thread "buying online" would mean buying from staples.com. Try this thread -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ck-tip-34.html
i had the same issue as Roudrani, had to call in to activate cards ordered from staples.com. not sure if new site just has kinks or what, none of the activation codes worked online
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:54 am

Yesterday I bought a batch of 9 $200 MC's (Visas not always in stock). The receipt printed out with a message next to each one that it will activate within the "next 24 hours" and when I tried to call as usually do to set the pin, gave me message that its not activated and $0 balance.

Never experienced this before having bought both Visas and MC's many times. Has this happened with others and if so has it activated within the timeframe?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by njdealguy
Yesterday I bought a batch of 9 $200 MC's (Visas not always in stock). The receipt printed out with a message next to each one that it will activate within the "next 24 hours" and when I tried to call as usually do to set the pin, gave me message that its not activated and $0 balance.

Never experienced this before having bought both Visas and MC's many times. Has this happened with others and if so has it activated within the timeframe?
Ebay GCs have an up to 4hr delay activation also.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by njdealguy

i only bought 3 vgc and one of them is exactly what you mentioned. It has been over 24hrs and still same issue. Will be going back to staples tomorrow to complain. but this would suck if you bought it out of state etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.