Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:59 pm

I just received email from giftcardmall with pins..
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by WoodenRobot
High five.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:42 pm
Used to be exsynner

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by WoodenRobot
Me too. First time.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
If I receive VGCs but my separate letter with activation codes doesn't arrive, I found dialing the following number directly to be quicker in getting the VGCs activated: (877) 426-2551.
Thanks for the tip, I got right through rather than waiting 20+ minutes!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I am confused by your question. You get the 5x category bonus from your CC on VGCs regardless if you use the portals or not since they come from the CC. The portals were just icing on the cake with additional cash back on top of the 5x category spending.

Just FYI, you can still order non-VGCs (Target, Home Depot, etc) via portals for Staples.com and get the additional cash back/points on them from the portals.
Within the last 2 weeks, I ordered other store gift cards from Staples via Discover Deals and TCB and didn't get cash back from either.

Last edited by Larry Ordway; Feb 12, 2015 at 8:18 pm Reason: change wording
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Larry Ordway
Within the last 2 weeks, I ordered other store gift cards from Staples via Discover Deals and TCB and didn't get cash back from either.
I am sure they closed the loop on that.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:11 pm

How long does it take to see your bonus 3% when using your Ink card through the UR portal. When using my CSP, I usually see a notification within a week or so.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:09 pm

Has anyone received their $20 Visa rebate card(s) from the $300 VGC promotion that ran during the week of January 4?

The Staples status tracker says my rebates have been mailed, but nothing has shown up yet.

Thanks....
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Has anyone received their $20 Visa rebate card(s) from the $300 VGC promotion that ran during the week of January 4?

The Staples status tracker says my rebates have been mailed, but nothing has shown up yet.

Thanks....
Be patient.
I'm still waiting for them, too
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by bearsdidit
How long does it take to see your bonus 3% when using your Ink card through the UR portal. When using my CSP, I usually see a notification within a week or so.

Gift cards will no longer earn you bonus points through portals. This was closed quite awhile ago unfortunately. Don't expect anything to show up.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by BigB985
Gift cards will no longer earn you bonus points through portals. This was closed quite awhile ago unfortunately. Don't expect anything to show up.
Gotcha, thanks. I might as well skip a step and go directly to my local Staples for VGCs.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:22 am

Thanks....
How do you guys come across the information that staples are having these GC rebate offers?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by poisonsag
How do you guys come across the information that staples are having these GC rebate offers?
Weekly ad
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by poisonsag
When it appears in the weekly ad, somebody always posts it here ...... so you don't actually have to check the weekly ad every week......
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:21 pm

When it appears in the weekly ad, somebody always posts it here ...... so you don't actually have to check the weekly ad every week......
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.