Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ChurnChop
That was the same story at my Staples. Not a lot of questions, but they looked perplexed which was also a look of confusion and concern. A lot of MSers hit that store in San Diego, wiping out a large amount of GCs. All the managers have been told the truth by me and others so they don't concern themselves with fraud which is all they are worried about. They are more than happy to sell them now without the "look", they always say, "miles and points!". The only thing they hate is tearing off the tabs.

I buy about $800 per card (have 2 Inks) or $1,600 twice a month. Not much. One of the managers that knows me says there is one guy who comes in that would buy $20,000 in one shot if he could. He said they are limiting purchases to $2,000 per day per person because of that guy who cleans out the store every time and leaves nothing for other customers.

I got a feeling someone reading this thread is that guy. Chances are good. That's where the problem is. Go slow and enjoy the ride and leave some of the spoils for others. There will always be more cards coming.
Sorry, but if I am going to enjoy the ride...it has to be fast and hard and the only thing I'm leaving for others is a steaming pile of poo.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by payeco
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HVUS8

Removes the cover perfectly with no tears in less than a second per card. I swear it seems like the cards were designed to be opened with this thing. Cashiers love you for bringing this in with you.
Wow -- what the true MS professional is carrying!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by payeco
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HVUS8

Removes the cover perfectly with no tears in less than a second per card. I swear it seems like the cards were designed to be opened with this thing. Cashiers love you for bringing this in with you.
Originally Posted by iahphx
Wow -- what the true MS professional is carrying!
I have found that it is all about the direction of force when you peel. Don't peel back. Peel up and away (i.e. kind of the opposite way you would think of doing it). I'm running over 90% getting the strips off in the first go without any residue.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ChurnChop
That was the same story at my Staples. Not a lot of questions, but they looked perplexed which was also a look of confusion and concern. A lot of MSers hit that store in San Diego, wiping out a large amount of GCs. All the managers have been told the truth by me and others so they don't concern themselves with fraud which is all they are worried about. They are more than happy to sell them now without the "look", they always say, "miles and points!". The only thing they hate is tearing off the tabs.
I always tear the tabs off before I get to the cashier. It saves you and the cashier time and energy. Plus I am sure they will thank you for it later. Actually I have been thanked before.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I always tear the tabs off before I get to the cashier. It saves you and the cashier time and energy. Plus I am sure they will thank you for it later. Actually I have been thanked before.
Unless you get the dreaded "cash only" and look like a fool for prematurely opening the gift cards.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 22calbr
Unless you get the dreaded "cash only" and look like a fool for prematurely opening the gift cards.
If you have been going to that store and know the people and rules already (as the OP stated), there is no issue.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:06 pm

I am sorry if some of the questions are dumb

1) I read that you cannot reload gift cards in bluebird? So now if i have bunch of VISA gift cards in hand what is the best way to liquidate them now?

2) Silly question but - I have bunch of gift cards (Starbucks, whole foods etc) and i have few change remaining on them ($1- $3) how do you take care of this final pennies remaining on your retailer gift cards?

Thanks..!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Originally Posted by cdancer20
If you have been going to that store and know the people and rules already (as the OP stated), there is no issue.
Did I miss something? The $200 Visa card is available to order online, what is the advantage of buying them in store?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jwudbwei
Did I miss something? The $200 Visa card is available to order online, what is the advantage of buying them in store?
Not having to wait a week or so to buy the VGC cards when they are available. Also there is extra work to be done in having to manually activate each card on the website from the activation letter.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Not having to wait a week or so to buy the VGC cards when they are available. Also there is extra work to be done in having to manually activate each card on the website from the activation letter.
Yeah, I just placed my first large online order in months (probably since the cashback bonuses died), because my most convenient store is running out of cards and, honestly, it feels like I've been in there too often. I find the online system to be a bit of a hassle with both the waiting and the validation. Last time, I had to call when I never got the second envelope. If you have a convenient store location, where they don't hassle you, it's probably better to buy there.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:07 pm

I have not received 1% savingedge adjustment for 1K purchase on 10/1. Does anyone have same issue?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by 22calbr
Nah, I just have the idiot manager telling me 'federal law' restricts the amount you can purchase with credit card.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by poisonsag
2) Silly question but - I have bunch of gift cards (Starbucks, whole foods etc) and i have few change remaining on them ($1- $3) how do you take care of this final pennies remaining on your retailer gift cards?
If you live in CA you can go to the retailer and ask for the amount back in cash. Retailers have to provide you the balance in cash if the balance is under $10. I believe some other states have similar laws so read up on your local laws relating to gift cards.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by jwudbwei
Being able to use Staples gift cards/rebate cards. Using them online will get your address banned. If your location doesn't know or doesn't care about the no gift cards for gift cards rule it's great.

When they were running the VGC/MCGC promotions over the spring and summer I got about 25 of the $20 rebate cards. If you buy the VGCs 2x or 3x at a time in store and use one of these rebate cards you're actually earning a few bucks on the purchase.

GCM or someone was also selling $100 Staples GCs for $85 on eBay a few weeks ago. You can split tender on the purchase and only use enough on those GCs to wipe out the fee for each purchase you make.

In any case, until I run out of rebate cards I'm going to make all my purchases in store.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:01 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
speaking of which where have all the GC rebate offers disappeared from all the office stores... did ppl rape em something awful at the beginning of the year that whoever was in-charge of those promos doesnt even bother with em at all??

I cant believe those sorta promos would be 'seasonal' or only run in the spring etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.