Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm irritated that I still haven't gotten miles for a $2000 purchase via Alaska portal. I bought my cards with a $6, and got miles for just $6 within 3 days.
when was the purchase?
Old May 13, 2014, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by vinyalwhl
Quote:

I'm irritated that I still haven't gotten miles for a $2000 purchase via Alaska portal. I bought my cards with a $6, and got miles for just $6 within 3 days.

when was the purchase?
4/28
Old May 13, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Looks like they caught on.

10% off Associate Rewards savings, exclusions apply.
Savings not applied: unfortunately none of the items currently in your cart qualify for your exclusive Rewards discount.
Before I made an order too lol
Old May 13, 2014, 10:48 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
4/28
it takes a month for those miles to post. how many times have ppl gotta tell you this?

Originally Posted by f0xx
Looks like they caught on.

Before I made an order too lol
didnt you just make an order the other week where it worked? or did you not submit that order: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22818203-post363.html
Old May 13, 2014, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
it takes a month for those miles to post. how many times have ppl gotta tell you this?
I didn't ask when they would post. I just said I was irritated that other portals have posted their cash back for orders after mine was placed.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87

didnt you just make an order the other week where it worked? or did you not submit that order: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22818203-post363.html
I didn't submit it because my CSP statement was coming up
Didn't know if I'd have enough time to liquidate.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:13 pm

Couple of weird things happened to me:

1. As I was trying to activate my cards one of them on the activation website said "your card is not ready to be activated". Has any of you had this happen to them?
2. I received my 10 cards in one envelope but have yet to receive my activation codes.

Any of you have similar experiences?
Old May 13, 2014, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by kannon99
Has anyone gotten the error "Your card is not ready to be activated" when you try to activate it? I tried a few times with the wrong activation code before I used the right one. I wonder if it triggered the card to be shut off from activation.
Originally Posted by infamousdx
One of my 5 $200 GCs is still telling me this today. I'll have to call to find out. I'm entering the correct activation code on the separate sheet that came in the mail.
Originally Posted by thepaul500
I had this happen on one of mine. Had to call in. They put in a ticket and said it would be activated 2 hours later (it was)

The awkward part was the guy checked the activation of all the other ones and said basically "good, I see all your other ones are activated, and have already been used..... "dramatic pause".......do you have a copy of the terms and conditions for these?" I thanked him for his time and hung up.
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Couple of weird things happened to me:

1. As I was trying to activate my cards one of them on the activation website said "your card is not ready to be activated". Has any of you had this happen to them?
2. I received my 10 cards in one envelope but have yet to receive my activation codes.

Any of you have similar experiences?
You seriously couldn't go back ONE page?
This sub-forum is seriously going down hill.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:26 pm

Sorry foxx my fault.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kannon99
Has anyone gotten the error "Your card is not ready to be activated" when you try to activate it? I tried a few times with the wrong activation code before I used the right one. I wonder if it triggered the card to be shut off from activation.
Just had this happen to me... will call in the morning
Old May 14, 2014, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by JackTripper
I seem to have missed the post where this is "dead." Is Ink no longer giving 5x points on GC from Staples? Which part of the Wikipost no longer is working?
Is the 5x dead or alive? Not clear from the responses.

p.s. Wiki suggests "pay bills from evolvemoney" but as far as I know you can't pay credit card bills w. evolve (like you can with BB and Serve).
Old May 14, 2014, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by st.exupery

p.s. Wiki suggests "pay bills from evolvemoney" but as far as I know you can't pay credit card bills w. evolve (like you can with BB and Serve).
That is correct. Evolve you can't buy CC bills. You can only legit bills like utilities, mortgage, student loan, car loan, etc.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I didn't ask when they would post. I just said I was irritated that other portals have posted their cash back for orders after mine was placed.
Have not seen one person post that they received points posting from a Cartera portal with that late of date....they are up to at least 4/24 and I am quite happy with that. If you do not like the wait then I would use a portal that pays out quicker than Cartera's do.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by st.exupery

That's correct but you can pay other bills. My household, for instance, has almost $4800 in bills each month that I can pay with Evolve. Between our Ink cards that's just under 25,000 UR points each month or nearly 300,000 a year until this method gets killed. That's more than enough for 2 first class tickets to Europe just for paying my bills.

Personally I hope Evolve doesn't ever allow paying CC bills because it'll be over very quickly because of abuse.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:52 am

From the Ultimate Rewards Mall site:
Please note these terms & conditions: Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Shopping cart must be empty prior to accessing Staples through this site to be eligible. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents including third party gift cards sold by Staples.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.