Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 7:11 am

Figure i'd post here about it first

==============

Dear ____,

In order to ensure program profitability, Staples will no longer commission affiliates sales of gift cards. We have extended you a new program term with this exclusion. Please accept your new term as soon as you receive it . As always, don’t hesitate to reach out to the team if you have any questions!

Best regards,

The Staples Affiliate Team

I don't think the $200 vgc will vanish, but i'm pretty sure the cashback will.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Posted tonight: 5% pending from upromise on both my April 28 & 29 orders.
Same for my 4/28 purchases
Old May 6, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Voyaging
Figure i'd post here about it first

==============

Dear ____,

In order to ensure program profitability, Staples will no longer commission affiliates sales of gift cards. We have extended you a new program term with this exclusion. Please accept your new term as soon as you receive it . As always, don’t hesitate to reach out to the team if you have any questions!

Best regards,

The Staples Affiliate Team

I don't think the $200 vgc will vanish, but i'm pretty sure the cashback will.
Screenshot?

EDIT: Also. My employee discount still works even after leaving them about 2 years ago lol.

Last edited by f0xx; May 6, 2014 at 7:34 am
Old May 6, 2014, 7:35 am

f0xx: it's literally the email with my name edited out. they are clearly aware that they've been paying out on gift card purchases and probably have/will be taking action to correct the crediting of these purchases to their affiliates, which include the various online cashback/points portals

and wow. 10% off! they must have a short exclusion list if the VGC counts
Old May 6, 2014, 8:39 am

I ordered two sets of cards on 4/28. I have received them and the 2 charges have still have not cleared on chase - who is slacking here? They were in pending for a bit and now they are gone for a week or more. Normally, chase takes a few days - but I called and the CSR told me - the charges are still not cleared pending - very strange.

I guess it will be a few more days - and then I can pay them
Old May 6, 2014, 8:44 am

I also bought 10 gc's with Chase, and the charge has dropped off pending but I emailed Staples to ask if my order had been cancelled (i went through Swagbucks) and they said it was being shipped today. I also got an email from Staples confirming shipped today.
very bizarre! I guess they will charge my card today or tomorrow?!

anyone else experience this?
Old May 6, 2014, 8:59 am

My credit card showed the pending charge, then it fell off, now the balance is inclusive of the charge, but i don't see the charge on there at all. Staples website to track my order has been down for two days...but i did get an email stating it was shipped. pretty odd all around.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:01 am

i agree, it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy tbh!
Old May 6, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
What is the worse that is going to happen? Either they don't charge you (Which is good), or the charge shows up. Not sure why everyone is over-analyzing their pending charges, this is going to ship.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: UA
Just curious, anyone's order on May 3rd got confirmed or shipped?
Old May 6, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
What is the worse that is going to happen? Either they don't charge you (Which is good), or the charge shows up. Not sure why everyone is over-analyzing their pending charges, this is going to ship.
It's a sign the end is near when the charge disappears. Didn't you know that!?!?!
Old May 6, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
So is CB officially dead then on these? This didn't even last as long as Google Wallet last year.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AA PLT
So is CB officially dead then on these? This didn't even last as long as Google Wallet last year.
Nothing is officially over.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The email is about Staples' own program, not cashback portals.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:37 am

I placed the order over the weekend on Staples.com, but when i went to check the order status, the page does not load up and request that i contact customer service for any support.

Does this mean my order is cancelled?

Anyone having the same issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.