Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by mastermind85
About how long does it take to load 1k?
About 2 min per swipe
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by mastermind85
About how long does it take to load 1k?
~8-10 minutes.
Kates take FOREVER to process.
That's why it took me 3-4 days to liquidate $2k.
Not time effective.

Raises a lot of suspicion when you're standing there forever.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by f0xx
~8-10 minutes.
Kates take FOREVER to process.
That's why it took me 3-4 days to liquidate $2k.
Not time effective.

Raises a lot of suspicion when you're standing there forever.
If you talking WM, just go to the cashier. Much faster. I don't have any problem doing 5 with one cashier.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by Explore
I'm perfectly willing to continue loading $200s for the UR payoff. I figure this opportunity isn't going to be around forever.
With the 6.95 fee per card the 5% cb from Ink means only 3.40 ahead and that doesn't include any liquidation costs, if any, such as MO purchase. That's less than a 2% return, unless you're using an Ink Visa to get the edge savings or using a discount code. Am I missing something?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Churnman
With the 6.95 fee per card the 5% cb from Ink means only 3.40 ahead and that doesn't include any liquidation costs, if any, such as MO purchase. That's less than a 2% return, unless you're using an Ink Visa to get the edge savings or using a discount code. Am I missing something?
With VSE (1% discount): 1035 pts for $4.88 (or $0.0047/pt). As long as you are not using UR for statement credits (i.e., at least using them for travel on the UR portal at $0.0125/pt) then you are getting back $12.94 per card or a gain of $8.06 prior to liquidation costs (~3.9% net return). Redeeming with partners improves that calculation.

Personally, I load these $200VGC to BB throughout the month and liquidate that way (at least now that evolve has reduced the allowed number of payments).

Last edited by picards007; Jun 13, 2014 at 11:16 am Reason: spelling + maths are important
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by picards007
With VSE (1% discount): 1007 pts for $4.88 (or $0.0048/pt). As long as you are not using UR for statement credits (i.e., at least using them for travel on the UR portal at $0.0125/pt) then you are getting back $12.58 per card or a gain of $7.70 prior to liquidation costs (3.6% net return). Redeeming with partners improves that calculation.

Personally, I load these $200VGC to BB throughout the month and liquidate that way (at least now that evolve has reduced the allowed number of payments).
1035 pts for 4.88 (minor maths error)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lz80521
1035 pts for 4.88 (minor maths error)
ooops! forgot the 5x on the fee too
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:32 pm

Buying VGC with Staples GC

Originally Posted by retired7328
confirmed....i did it last month

So...has anybody done this recently? I did it to maximize my Freedom 5x. Then I do it yesterday and I get a phone call from staples saying the computer rejected this, and they will refund my gift cards/credit card.

I can personally give a flying .... if my online account gets blacklisted. The only thing I purchase from Staples is $200 VGC's anyway. Now that they don't pay out for portals anymore, I have zero problem going back into the stores to purchase. What I need to do, however, is liquidate these Staples GC's I purchased. Might be sitting on them until a FAR opportunity comes up again.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Broncocsu05
So...has anybody done this recently? I did it to maximize my Freedom 5x. Then I do it yesterday and I get a phone call from staples saying the computer rejected this, and they will refund my gift cards/credit card.

I can personally give a flying .... if my online account gets blacklisted. The only thing I purchase from Staples is $200 VGC's anyway. Now that they don't pay out for portals anymore, I have zero problem going back into the stores to purchase. What I need to do, however, is liquidate these Staples GC's I purchased. Might be sitting on them until a FAR opportunity comes up again.
Did two days ago. No issues. Got some weird error codes. Went back the next day and liquidated the rest.

Evolve takes a little while to post to Sallie Mae, and make sure you choose the right mailing address.

I'm just doing this to knock out the promo for Ink.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by yoloswaggins
Did two days ago. No issues. Got some weird error codes. Went back the next day and liquidated the rest.

Evolve takes a little while to post to Sallie Mae, and make sure you choose the right mailing address.

I'm just doing this to knock out the promo for Ink.

I have a feeling you're misreading my title. Not buying Visa GC's from staples with a Credit Card. That's old hat/reliable. I'm talking about actually buying the Visa's with a Staples GC. It's worked in the past, and now has suddenly begun rejecting after having placed the order. Staples rep didn't sound angry, threaten to ban me, whatever...they just said "no can do...would you like for us to continue the order with the credit card number on file for this order?"

no...i want to liquidate my friggin staples gift cards.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:43 pm

Is there a limit per transaction or per time period, e.g. like AGC?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Can I get the $20 rebate from an online VGC order?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Can I get the $20 rebate from an online VGC order?
No
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:43 am

Does anyone know if this VGC qualifies for this $20 rebate? https://www.stapleseasyrebates.com/p...tml?sku=763604
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by eSurfer
Does anyone know if this VGC qualifies for this $20 rebate? https://www.stapleseasyrebates.com/p...tml?sku=763604
Being as how it specifically says "at staples stores only", I'd say no. Why don't you try it and report back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.