Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 14, 15, 7:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: weezl
Wiki Link
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 5, 14, 11:44 pm
  #1201  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MKE
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Posts: 637
Originally Posted by maxmnx View Post
I've received emails saying I earned a cashback bonus from Discover (for earlier purchases using my Ink), but my statement just closed and nothing is on it.

Has anyone actually seen a credit on their statement?

If yes, how long did it take to post?
I got mine today for a purchase made on 5/4
phdtomd is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 8:23 am
  #1202  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 306
Originally Posted by mastermind85 View Post
With ink, isn't this still a good value even without portals?
I think so. With the 1% CB and 5x points I'll continue buying these to pay some bills on Evolve and load the BB.
Nehawk is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 8:33 am
  #1203  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Posts: 1,573
Originally Posted by Nehawk View Post
I think so. With the 1% CB and 5x points I'll continue buying these to pay some bills on Evolve and load the BB.
Be careful, Evolve is shutting down some payees because of too many payments in one month.
heyeaglefn is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 8:41 am
  #1204  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WAS
Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Posts: 2,576
If all other cash back portals are dead.
https://shop.fuelrewards.com/me____.htm?gmid=4519

I wonder if this one will work. lol
f0xx is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 8:45 am
  #1205  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 4,356
Originally Posted by f0xx View Post
If all other cash back portals are dead.
https://shop.fuelrewards.com/me____.htm?gmid=4519

I wonder if this one will work. lol
My guess would be no. Even though there is no wording about it, I doubt that Staples didn't send them the memo as well lol. Wishful thinking f0xx.
cdancer20 is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 8:53 am
  #1206  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 306
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn View Post
Be careful, Evolve is shutting down some payees because of too many payments in one month.
I have heard this. Thankfully my starter home can be knocked out in < 4 payments. I won't be moving much through Evolve but hopefully it continues to be a nice bump to the UR balance each month
Nehawk is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 9:52 am
  #1207  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 238
Originally Posted by f0xx View Post
Share more data please. Dates.
Staples probably didn't pay out, meaning... Discover didn't pay out.
Here's when I placed my Staples orders, and when I received the corresponding cashback email from Discover:
Staples orders: May 3, 6, 12, 17
Discover cashback email: May 5, 10, 16, 17

I paid for all of the purchases of Staples gift cards with an Ink card, and did not make any charges on the Discover card, and haven't for over a year. But yesterday I did make a purchase using my Discover, hoping to trigger the cashback.
maxmnx is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 9:54 am
  #1208  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 238
Originally Posted by phdtomd View Post
I got mine today for a purchase made on 5/4
Did you see it on a statement or just in your account?
Also, did you pay with Discover or Ink?
maxmnx is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 10:16 am
  #1209  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WAS
Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Posts: 2,576
Originally Posted by cdancer20 View Post
My guess would be no. Even though there is no wording about it, I doubt that Staples didn't send them the memo as well lol. Wishful thinking f0xx.
I like to think outside the box.

Originally Posted by maxmnx View Post
Here's when I placed my Staples orders, and when I received the corresponding cashback email from Discover:
Staples orders: May 3, 6, 12, 17
Discover cashback email: May 5, 10, 16, 17

I paid for all of the purchases of Staples gift cards with an Ink card, and did not make any charges on the Discover card, and haven't for over a year. But yesterday I did make a purchase using my Discover, hoping to trigger the cashback.
Hmm. Interesting.
Next statement maybe?

Originally Posted by maxmnx View Post
Did you see it on a statement or just in your account?
Also, did you pay with Discover or Ink?
Correct. We need more info.
f0xx is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 10:44 am
  #1210  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ATL
Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Posts: 955
Finally got my order yesterday. Sounds like they're batching them out at GCM.

Thought for sure that it would get cancelled, because I accidentally left a $25 off $50 coupon in my cart when I checked out. Probably the best gift card deal I'll ever get.
sechs is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 5:40 pm
  #1211  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 107
Anyone reporting getting the 2x points with UR mall? I haven't yet, or are any other portals live?
goober153 is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 6:27 pm
  #1212  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MKE
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Posts: 637
Originally Posted by maxmnx View Post
Did you see it on a statement or just in your account?
Also, did you pay with Discover or Ink?
I used my ink and it was in my account, I had previously received an email about it. I have already sent it to me bank account
phdtomd is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 8:05 pm
  #1213  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 34
Need some suggestion on what to do here...
Made purchase @ staples.com via discover on 4/30.

Got email on 5/8 saying I got cashback (says will take 6-8 weeks)
Statement closed on 5/10 but $0.00 in the cashback section. I did not have any purchase, I have been making payment to an existing BT.

should I be making a purchase? or call discover and ask about this?
hc000 is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 8:18 pm
  #1214  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WAS
Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Posts: 2,576
Originally Posted by hc000 View Post
Need some suggestion on what to do here...
Made purchase @ staples.com via discover on 4/30.

Got email on 5/8 saying I got cashback (says will take 6-8 weeks)
Statement closed on 5/10 but $0.00 in the cashback section. I did not have any purchase, I have been making payment to an existing BT.

should I be making a purchase? or call discover and ask about this?
f0xx is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 11:01 pm
  #1215  
Formerly known as FTRox87
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX
Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Posts: 1,428
Originally Posted by sechs View Post
left a $25 off $50 coupon in my cart when I checked out. Probably the best gift card deal I'll ever get.
where'd you get that coupon for 50% off? appreciate the heads up.
FTR 787 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: