Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by f0xx
Let's take a trip, okay?
To this thread... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...er-checks.html

Then to look at the wiki...

Too hard?
But go ahead and load them online, then report results later.
Read more at that link, since using giftcards for online loads gets your BB locked (for online loads). For in store activities, the swipe limit is $1k per day.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by hmmurdock
Right. Scale up your purchases with the coupon and see what happens.

The $15 off is a one time use coupon.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:13 am

Right. Scale up your purchases with the coupon and see what happens.
Scale up? I took advantage of a single use coupon to make a typical order for my account within the terms of the coupon. I have no reason to suspect the coupon was a mistake (I believe this coupon was very intentional), so I'll enjoy the savings.

I'm sure if someone violates the terms of the coupon they will have orders cancelled. Thank you for your concern.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by JackTripper
BB site page on limits says there's a $100 limit per day loading from a debit card. Does this also apply to kiosks as suggested by the Wikipost?
WM loads are not related with the online debit card loads of $100. You can load at WM up to $1000/day and up to $5000/month. And NO you can't use VGCs to do the online debit card load. It must be a debit card issued by a bank.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by TheMacallan
Scale up? I took advantage of a single use coupon to make a typical order for my account within the terms of the coupon. I have no reason to suspect the coupon was a mistake (I believe this coupon was very intentional), so I'll enjoy the savings.

I'm sure if someone violates the terms of the coupon they will have orders cancelled. Thank you for your concern.
My comment wasn't directed to those who would make a single purchase. I have zero concern for those making a single purchase.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
WM loads are not related with the online debit card loads of $100. You can load at WM up to $1000/day and up to $5000/month. And NO you can't use VGCs to do the online debit card load. It must be a debit card issued by a bank.
Thank you.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:36 am

My comment wasn't directed to those who would make a single purchase. I have zero concern for those making a single purchase.
Then you need to take the opportunity to explain that in a post rather than the one you started with.

I agree, there are plenty of fools who will not read the terms and screw things up for themselves.

These forums, and the associated deals, gain value when guidance is provided by people like yourself (a/k/a "Literate").
Old May 14, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Thank you.
I bought a gift card with the $15 coupon; my wife did the same. I guess if you open lots of accounts to use more coupons, you might have trouble. Otherwise, it would seem the biggest risk is getting your order cancelled. They can't ban you for simply taking advantage of a promo they're advertising -- or at least they shouldn't!
Old May 14, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by TheMacallan
If you are suggesting bans or cancelled orders for using the $15 of $150 coupon on gift cards...incorrect. No restrictions on the use besides, "Excludes Clearance Items." Since I am not buying clearance gift cards, no problem.
False. From staples.com:

Both transaction and product coupons are not valid on desktop or laptop computers; tablets; netbooks; Apple® products; Bose® products; Amazon Kindle®; NOOK®; HP ink and toner; Epson® ink and toner; gift cards; mobile phones and mobile phone services; Staples® EasyTechSM professional-grade and on-site services; business service provider or custom-printing service provider Web sites; daily deals; phone cards; and postage stamps.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:39 pm

so to sum up recent events:
1% off GC from vse is done
but is 2x points from UR mall still good?
Old May 14, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by jsmithj88
so to sum up recent events:
1% off GC from vse is done
but is 2x points from UR mall still good?
Other way around.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
WorldPoints mall is offering 2x points

Retailer Exclusions
Purchases of promotional products are not eligible to earn bonus points. As of 3/29/2011 purchase of eGift Cards are not eligible to earn bonus points. Build to order desktops and laptops, printing services, premiums, copy services, business cards, special order stationary, custom printing, other business services, are not eligible to earn bonus points. As of May 19, 2010 purchases of gift certificates and gift cards ARE eligible to earn bonus points. Gift cards cannot be used to make online purchases, and if a Rewards card is used for any portion of your payment, that portion of the payment is not eligible to earn bonus points. Before placing any items in a shopping cart, ensure that you clicked through to Staples from this web site. Items placed in a shopping cart where you accessed Staples from another online location will not qualify for bonus points. Your shopping cart must be purchased within 36 hours of opening in order to qualify for bonus points. PLEASE NOTE: If your order has not been reported (showing in a pending award status) after 40 days, please contact WorldPoints Mall customer service immediately. Staples will NOT research customer inquiries after 90 days and orders inquired upon after 90 days will not be awarded.
Not super hot. But if you're stacking it with the FIA AMEX. You're essentially getting 4x.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:01 pm

Got this email from Staple, cancelled orders after couple hours - i used the 15 off 150 coupon, on 2 separate orders. both thru UR
Dear Staples Value Customer;
Thank you for placing your recent order with Staples.
I, sincerely apologize, but your order that is being processed will be canceled. The coupon that was redeemed is not valid for gift card purchases. The order can be replaced, however without the coupon.
· Both transaction and product coupons are not valid on desktop or laptop computers; tablets; netbooks; Apple® products; Bose® products; Amazon Kindle®; NOOK®; HP ink and toner; Epson® ink and toner; gift cards; mobile phones and mobile phone services; Staples® EasyTech℠professional-grade and on-site services; business service provider or custom-printing service provider Web sites; daily deals; phone cards; and postage stamps.
Once the card has been deactivated a refund will be issued to the method of payment that was applied to the order.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact Staples at 866-493-8108, available 8:30am-8:00pm EST Monday thru Friday.
If you would like to view the status of your order, please click on the following link:
http://www.staples.com/orderstatus
Sincerely,
Shawna T.
Staples Operations Support Representative
Old May 14, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
lol, Staples noobies thought it'd go through.
For those of us that are experienced Staplers knew it'd happen.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:07 pm

It seems nerve-wracking to have a lot of money in VGCs in the mail. Any disadvantage to buying in-store?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.