Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 14, 15, 7:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: weezl
Wiki Link
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old May 14, 14, 8:50 am

Programs: UA scum/0.688MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR/SPG Gold,Hertz PC, National EE, Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by st.exupery View Post
From the Ultimate Rewards Mall site:
Please note these terms & conditions: Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Shopping cart must be empty prior to accessing Staples through this site to be eligible. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents including third party gift cards sold by Staples.com.
And.....
Been like that for a long time
Old May 14, 14, 9:14 am

Programs: DL GM
I just ordered 2 $200 gift cards through the skymileshopping portal, which has a $15 off purchase of $150 link there. Seems to say in the fine print that it's not valid for purchase of cash equivalent or gift cards, but appears to have gone through.
Old May 14, 14, 9:21 am

Has anyone had any luck on pickup in store purchases with these $200 gc? That could be real convenient ?
Old May 14, 14, 9:25 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
200-dollar Visa Gift cards at Staples.com

Why would you resort to 200 in store when 500's are easily found? Get a 5% card at drugstores.
Old May 14, 14, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by golf7 View Post
Has anyone had any luck on pickup in store purchases with these $200 gc? That could be real convenient ?
If you are asking about picking up online orders in store...very slow shipping. It was significantly faster to have them shipped directly to my address.
Old May 14, 14, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn View Post
Why would you resort to 200 in store when 500's are easily found? Get a 5% card at drugstores.
Because you earn different rewards. The reason why people do the $200 VGCs at Staples is because they have the ink card which gives 5x on office supply stores. It really depends on whether you want miles or cash back.
Old May 14, 14, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by cfwolfs View Post
I just ordered 2 $200 gift cards through the skymileshopping portal, which has a $15 off purchase of $150 link there. Seems to say in the fine print that it's not valid for purchase of cash equivalent or gift cards, but appears to have gone through.
Gave this a try through the UR Mall and it gave the $15 discount on the purchase. VSE doesn't have any specific language in the 1% back terms, so this should bring it down to less than $2/card in activation fees if using Ink.
Old May 14, 14, 10:58 am

I forsee either cancelled orders or some Staples bans forthcoming.
Old May 14, 14, 11:02 am

Programs: UA
Does anyone have any idea when will the points through URmall get posted? I can see my order on 5/3 appeared in the rewards activity, but not posted yet.
Old May 14, 14, 11:17 am

RetailMeNot has a 15 off 150 coupon code. Which i just used to order 10 giftcards. 2069 - 15 - visa savings edge discount of 20.69 = total cost 2033.31. if i get UR bonus points all the better!

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/staples.com?c=5839876

Last edited by ZBigFam; May 14, 14 at 11:17 am Reason: link to retailmenot provided
Old May 14, 14, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by hmmurdock View Post
I forsee either cancelled orders or some Staples bans forthcoming.
If you are suggesting bans or cancelled orders for using the $15 of $150 coupon on gift cards...incorrect. No restrictions on the use besides, "Excludes Clearance Items." Since I am not buying clearance gift cards, no problem.
Old May 14, 14, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beyond986 View Post
Does anyone have any idea when will the points through URmall get posted? I can see my order on 5/3 appeared in the rewards activity, but not posted yet.
My orders were 4/27 and 4/29 and I received notification from UR on 5/6 and 5/8, with the points posting when my INK Bold card closed on 5/10.
Old May 14, 14, 11:45 am

BB site page on limits says there's a $100 limit per day loading from a debit card. Does this also apply to kiosks as suggested by the Wikipost?
Old May 14, 14, 11:47 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by JackTripper View Post
BB site page on limits says there's a $100 limit per day loading from a debit card. Does this also apply to kiosks as suggested by the Wikipost?
Let's take a trip, okay?
To this thread... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...er-checks.html

Then to look at the wiki...

Bluebird Load Limits:
BB loading via VR/MP or WM load: $1,000/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
Online Debit Card Load* - $100/day and $1,000/month
Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
ATM Withdrawals - 3 x $500/day and $2,000/month
Too hard?
But go ahead and load them online, then report results later.
Old May 14, 14, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by TheMacallan View Post
If you are suggesting bans or cancelled orders for using the $15 of $150 coupon on gift cards...incorrect. No restrictions on the use besides, "Excludes Clearance Items." Since I am not buying clearance gift cards, no problem.
Right. Scale up your purchases with the coupon and see what happens.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: