Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
If I bought a couple (4x$50) Staples GCs, would I be able to buy 1 $200 VGC without any issue? I assume I can try to use a portal to get more points.
Like it's been said. Staples doesn't like this. GC > VGC. Good way to get out of Staples good graces. Not worth the risk.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by f0xx
Like it's been said. Staples doesn't like this. GC > VGC. Good way to get out of Staples good graces. Not worth the risk.
For me this will be like a 1 time thing. Only reason why I am thinking of doing this is that I want to take advantage of the Lowes 5% quarterly bonus on my Chase Freedom and they only sell $50 Staples GCs. This would not be a regular thing since I don't have the Ink cards. I guess I could try the in-store right to dump the Staples GCs but I hear its YMMV based on the cashier.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:58 am

For me this will be like a 1 time thing. Only reason why I am thinking of doing this is that I want to take advantage of the Lowes 5% quarterly bonus on my Chase Freedom and they only sell $50 Staples GCs. This would not be a regular thing since I don't have the Ink cards. I guess I could try the in-store right to dump the Staples GCs but I hear its YMMV based on the cashier.
You can get many other gift cards from lowe's including gas stations. 20% off gas is an awesome deal. I'd say you just need to go a different route.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by WhosYourFarmer
You can get many other gift cards from lowe's including gas stations. 20% off gas is an awesome deal. I'd say you just need to go a different route.
Done that already. Bought like $300 in gas cards thus far. Not going to buy like $800 of gas cards atm. Trying to max out the $1500 if possible. Already doing restaurants to make up that $1500 but I know I am not going to eat out like $1000 between now and the end of June.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So many people trying to rationalize their greed and selfishness. It's truly sad.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by silver4300
Seriously, what do you think is going to happen when trying to push through a $10,000 order or $40,000 in under a week? Why shift all your MS to one method to see how much you can get through? The additional gains are marginal. Perhaps 1% extra - yet with longer wait times. Personally, I shifted a moderate amount of my MS (10% toward the Staples deal. If people had just added staples into their normal MS spending pattern, it may have survived.
Maybe others did just shift 10% to this deal like you, as 10-40k is a mere 10% of MS to some...so in theory they did the same % shift as you and you no longer have anything to gripe about...btw, would you like some cheese to go with your whine
Old May 13, 2014, 5:58 am

In one of the Staples threads someone expressly posted that they did this and got their GCs zeroed out. If you want to do it, by all means go ahead, but the potential to get blacklisted by Staples isn't an idle threat.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:32 am

200-dollar Visa Gift cards at Staples.com

Data point-
Discover CB posted for me today. 4/26 and 4/28 orders paid. My 5/3 order went pending but never paid out with the rest of them today.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by f0xx
Really? There are a lot of people here I'd consider acquaintances that I've helped/currently help that share back/forth information. Just because not everything is public, doesn't mean there aren't avenues to exploit.

Just because UMAD in another thread doesn't mean you have to take your "oh no one shares information" to every single thread.
Don't get me wrong. You are snarky and all but you definitely give back to the forums.

Now if people didn't bring there "I'm greedy and scared to lose my golden goose by it being shared after I found out" to every single thread I would then stop rebutting it.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brito11
In one of the Staples threads someone expressly posted that they did this and got their GCs zeroed out. If you want to do it, by all means go ahead, but the potential to get blacklisted by Staples isn't an idle threat.
What do you mean zeroed out? That they had success and was able to liquidate them all? Or that Staples caught wind of it and took all their GC money? LOL.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:51 am

Just to add some data:

I ordered 6K worth from April 28-May 4 in 6 transactions. The first three in U promise are showing as pending, the last posting on 5/5. I am still hopeful the other 3 post as they we all ordered before the May 6 memo.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
Maybe others did just shift 10% to this deal like you, as 10-40k is a mere 10% of MS to some...so in theory they did the same % shift as you and you no longer have anything to gripe about...btw, would you like some cheese to go with your whine
Very few people are MSing 100-400k per week.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:40 am

400kk in manufactured spend per week?

Originally Posted by silver4300
Very few people are MSing 100-400k per week.

Anyone doing that much certainly doesn't have time to fly , and they are doing it to sell the miles or some other rebate they are getting.

Good luck while it lasts. I won't make a moral judgment on you, but then they won't let me be on the jury if the airline can make some sort of civil case or the government some sort of criminal case (highly unlikely on the latter). I'd have to state in Voire dire I don't think you are guilty and these companies have to live with the results of their offerings and can't go crying to courts for redress (as many airlines did with frequent flyer brokers--and won with the "tortious interference" theory of contract law).

Look , the closest I am coming to a rebate from staples is one $200 Visa card and a laptop that was supposed to be left on my front doorstep but somehow didn't get delivered (I go through 10 $250 laptops per year the way I treat them, so I always have 2 on hand). But, That's on UPS. I'll note as an aside the last thing that disappeared from my doorstep was a bidet ,and those aren't exactly light)
I'm off topic: Good luck with 400k per week. I wish you were 12 years old because that would be an hilarious cluster**** PR nightmare for a business.

OK, I wouldn't do any of this stuff because I am not going to cost a business money without talking to them first to make sure they realize the ramifications of what they are doing. AXP knows what they are doing and doesn't need to be talked to about their 3% rebate. Suntrust arguably doesn't know what they are doing but at least I talked to them. My argument to them was their only profitable Delta debit card client was not the type of client they want to attract. They should want high income customers, and those customer are going to have $1 million tax bills and are going to debit $35k per day for days on end as a friend of mine recently did.
Suntrust's thinking was people were overpaying taxes intentionally , but nobody does that for Delta miles, and churning money orders (they were definitely doing that).
Old May 13, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aresay
The college saving portal still has not changed its language
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Just to add some data:

I ordered 6K worth from April 28-May 4 in 6 transactions. The first three in U promise are showing as pending, the last posting on 5/5. I am still hopeful the other 3 post as they we all ordered before the May 6 memo.
I got the points for a 5/3 Upromise purchase (showing as pending), but there's no posting yet for a 5/5 purchase. Hopefully, they're just being a bit slow.

That said, even without the cashback, these purchases are a satisfactory deal. Of course, given the hassle of getting rid of the $200 cards, I'm going to be less interested in this promo if cashback is dead.

And I also don't understand the complaining. It's not rocket science to conclude that a deal that pays YOU to buy cash -- and they gives you lots of Ultimate Rewards points -- isn't going to last very long. People are going to "abuse" that, and the businesses involved will have to respond. It's just the way of the world.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by brito11
Are you talking about the Staples GCs getting zeroed out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.