Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Are we sure portals are shut down? I have seen the posts from the gentleman who said his would be, but I think that is not the portal many of us are interested in....
Cashback before stated memo posted.
Cashback after has not.

Take it as you will.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:27 pm

So, I noticed that at checkout, it is at least initially indicating that you can pay for the VGCs with Staples Gift Cards. Does anyone know if this actually works or will it punk out and disallow it before the completion of the order ?
Old May 12, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Maavieir
We should have created a closed blog years ago open to others by invitation only.
Did you create a FT account just to complain about a deal dying?

Look, it's the same debate that happens in every thread. Should we share or not? I have no doubt that the added attention sped up the demise of this deal. But on the other hand, the AmEx GC deal with Barclay Boost is another insane deal that's been hyped by the blogs all over the place, and it hasn't died yet. The mint deal was going on seemingly forever before it died, and that wasn't just hyped in the blogs, it was in mainstream news outlets.

I think I am in the majority here, where often rely on FT to find new methods of MS that I wouldn't otherwise know about. I don't scour the portal deals every day, so I appreciate the people who do. And bottom line, every deal will die eventually, and a new one will grow to take its place.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by Hbax
So, I noticed that at checkout, it is at least initially indicating that you can pay for the VGCs with Staples Gift Cards. Does anyone know if this actually works or will it punk out and disallow it before the completion of the order ?
Although it's buried a few pages back, although the technical ability exists, Staples frequently cancels those orders. You may get away with it a few times, but getting the replacement card after cancellation takes 2-3 weeks IME. Also, they may ban you from future purchases, but I was only given a warning
Old May 12, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by MarcusBWI

Look, it's the same debate that happens in every thread. Should we share or not? I have no doubt that the added attention sped up the demise of this deal. But on the other hand, the AmEx GC deal with Barclay Boost is another insane deal that's been hyped by the blogs all over the place, and it hasn't died yet. The mint deal was going on seemingly forever before it died, and that wasn't just hyped in the blogs, it was in mainstream news outlets.

I think I am in the majority here, where often rely on FT to find new methods of MS that I wouldn't otherwise know about. I don't scour the portal deals every day, so I appreciate the people who do. And bottom line, every deal will die eventually, and a new one will grow to take its place.
So many assumptions here. Can our resident Wisconsin-based logician please pick this apart?
Old May 12, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Hbax
Good luck. Buying VGC w/ Staples GC will be a quick way to get you banned from Staples.

Then just continue being another one of the sheep.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:42 pm

Oh well.
Old May 12, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
Then just continue being another one of the sheep.
From f0xx's profile page: "f0xx has not made any friends yet"

It's hard to imagine why, isn't it?
Old May 12, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
So has it been confirmed for EVERY portal that this is shutdown? I mean I see clearly in TopCashback that "gift cards will not earn cashback." but have all T&C been updated to say this? Or rather is it that Staples has put it's foot down so regardless they are not paying?
Old May 12, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by cdancer20
So has it been confirmed for EVERY portal that this is shutdown? I mean I see clearly in TopCashback that "gift cards will not earn cashback." but have all T&C been updated to say this? Or rather is it that Staples has put it's foot down so regardless they are not paying?
Read the memo upthread.
Old May 12, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
The college saving portal still has not changed its language
Old May 12, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Read the memo upthread.
The memo that I read beforehand looked as if it was an email sent directly to the affliate links. Is this the one that you are referring to? Also if so, that does not prove that they sent this memo to EVERY affliate.
Old May 12, 2014, 3:21 pm

This is from the Chase UR portal:

" Please note these terms & conditions:

Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Shopping cart must be empty prior to accessing Staples through this site to be eligible. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents including third party gift cards sold by Staples.com. Not eligible on Promotional Products. Discount reward certificates and Copy and Print shop orders are not eligible. Staples Business Advantage orders are not eligible. Contact with Staples for price matching, sales assistance, etc. will likely cancel eligibility. Any return, exchange or other adjustment made at a physical store location for an on-line purchase may result in your purchase being deemed ineligible. Phone orders are not eligible."

So it appears dead, YMMV though....
Old May 12, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by papilini05
This is from the Chase UR portal:

" Please note these terms & conditions:

Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Shopping cart must be empty prior to accessing Staples through this site to be eligible. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents including third party gift cards sold by Staples.com. Not eligible on Promotional Products. Discount reward certificates and Copy and Print shop orders are not eligible. Staples Business Advantage orders are not eligible. Contact with Staples for price matching, sales assistance, etc. will likely cancel eligibility. Any return, exchange or other adjustment made at a physical store location for an on-line purchase may result in your purchase being deemed ineligible. Phone orders are not eligible."

So it appears dead, YMMV though....
Pretty sure it has always said that. Although if staples stops paying chase, I'm sure chase will stop paying us
Old May 12, 2014, 4:13 pm

No I didn't come on here just to complain. Im just the voice of a silent majority that are sick of contributors information being exploited by the for profit blogs. I can't imagine coming up with a great MSing plan and sharing it. Then watching it die in a week because some blogger wants to increase their affiliate link hits to chase. I think ultimately many who would have contributed to the game may not for fear of it coming to an early demise, but I hope I am wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.