Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 11:56 am

$400(2x200) via Upromise portal tracked correctly for me, still pending though.

Posted | Funding Status | Company & Description | Amount
05/03/14 | Pending | Staples.com transaction on 04/28/14 | $20.70
Old May 7, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by adlibitum
Two orders on chase UR tracked from 4/28.

Also tried ebates, no tracking yet, anyone else try ebates?
ebates tracked for me, ordered 4/30.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Upromise tracked: 4/30, 3X200, 5%
Old May 7, 2014, 1:44 pm

Something really weird happened to me. I currently have three chase cards - Freedom, Explorer and CSP. The last two are signature with $5K Limit and Freedom has $5.5K Limit (Non-Sig)

Recently, from last month, I am nearly hitting very hard on Chase cards. As in, my Total spend is approx $30K/Month on all these cards (All are MS).

What happened was few days back (10 days ago) got few orders from staples. It was pending for 2 days, and the charge disappeared, and my available CL was increased. Later, with this new available CL, I purchased some more things and yesterday all of a sudden, the OLD pending charges were reappeared again for both my CSP and United Cards. This action made my Util as follows -
1. United $7K (Total Charges) of $5K CL and available CL=$0
2. CSP with $4.8K of Total Charges with $0 Available CL

Basically, I can see that I have exceeded my CL bit far this time and for the United Card, they borrowed some CL from the CSP.
Just today, I scheduled the payments of some thing like around $1K on each of these cards. But still I need some time to get the remaining balance.
Will these actions decrease my scores with Chase? Should I transfer all my UR over100,000 ?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by newuser0
Something really weird happened to me. I currently have three chase cards - Freedom, Explorer and CSP. The last two are signature with $5K Limit and Freedom has $5.5K Limit (Non-Sig)

Recently, from last month, I am nearly hitting very hard on Chase cards. As in, my Total spend is approx $30K/Month on all these cards (All are MS).

What happened was few days back (10 days ago) got few orders from staples. It was pending for 2 days, and the charge disappeared, and my available CL was increased. Later, with this new available CL, I purchased some more things and yesterday all of a sudden, the OLD pending charges were reappeared again for both my CSP and United Cards. This action made my Util as follows -

Basically, I can see that I have exceeded my CL bit far this time and for the United Card, they borrowed some CL from the CSP.
Just today, I scheduled the payments of some thing like around $1K on each of these cards. But still I need some time to get the remaining balance.
Will these actions decrease my scores with Chase? Should I transfer all my UR over100,000 ?

AA time.
Abandon ship! Abandon ship! Just kidding.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:10 pm

Something really weird happened to me.
Unfortunately, I cannot offer you any advice on your current dilemma. Good luck and please don't ever change.^
Old May 7, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by beyond986
anyone's order on 5/3 got confirmed or shipped?
My order from 5/4 showing as shipped from warehouse
Old May 7, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by bjk497
My order from 5/4 showing as shipped from warehouse
Mine was updated in the last few hours to reflect the same.
Old May 7, 2014, 5:25 pm

Don't try to run before you can walk.
Old May 7, 2014, 5:49 pm

Safeway cashback?

I guess I was mistaken thinking these gift cards could be used for cashback? At least, did not work for me today, used last four digits as pin, not accepted.

Somewhere else it might work for cashback or YMMV?
Old May 7, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
I guess I was mistaken thinking these gift cards could be used for cashback? At least, did not work for me today, used last four digits as pin, not accepted.

From the website to set up PIN.

Set card transaction PIN

Please enter your desired card PIN below to use for debit transactions on your Visa Gift Card. We'll share this information with the card issuer for security purposes. Please note, the PIN cannot be used for cash withdrawals at ATM or merchant locations.
That's how it's bolded on the website...
Old May 7, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by fulthrust7
Can we also start abbreviating to SGC to keep things to a minimal on google searches. I realize the cat is out of the bag w blogosphere and this post, but just a thought of caution.
If you think that Staples isn't reading this thread and subforum already you're delusional. Using abbreviations if you want to save time is fine, but it does nothing to prevent companies from finding out what we're doing.

You can never use Visa gift cards for cash back (e.g ATM withdrawals) you need to put them through a secondary account like Bluebird or Serve and get the cash that way (basically just glorified online checking accounts). You can also use something like Evolve money to pay your bills/mortgage/insurance.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

If you could cash out gift cards like that nobody would use BB or Serve or MO. Lol
Old May 8, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Anyone getting their orders to track since the memo went out? Also, how many days does it take usually for the Visa Savings Edge rebate to post?
Old May 8, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Shipping confirmation from Staples today for my 5/4 order, nothing from Upromise yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.