Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by picards007
I got "alternate tender required" yesterday loading bb and the change payment method did not work. Going to try again today without any split to see what's up.
What is the change payment method?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
See the "PIN now available on gift cards thread" for details. Basically when you swipe, you push the change payment button to force the system to charge the card as debit. Required for certain VGCs and MCGCs
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by picards007
I got "alternate tender required" yesterday loading bb and the change payment method did not work. Going to try again today without any split to see what's up.
Got something similar. I never split a card though
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by wonderboy
Got something similar. I never split a card though
Kate or register?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:18 pm

loaded 8 of these at register with no problem today
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pecan Pie
loaded 8 of these at register with no problem today
Don't you ever get questioned loading so many cards at the register?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
used the same register as yesterday and was able to load one card to BB without issue. also purchased a MO with a OV using the work-around.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Originally Posted by wonderboy
Anyone having trouble loading these $200 cards onto BB at WM recently?
You gotta be more specific if you want anyone to spoonfeed it to you. Kate or CSR?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by mastermind85
Don't you ever get questioned loading so many cards at the register?

my WM has more than one register, as I'm sure yours do, too. 2-3 loads/cashier is usually fine.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by mastermind85
Kate or register?
Kate
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:11 am

Has anyone had issues with Visa Savings Edge rebates posting? I had Staples charges post on 7/9 for $3,100, but no corresponding $31 rebate.

Tried calling the fine folks over at Visa Savings Edge on Friday afternoon, but had nobody pick up. I'll be trying again this week.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NewCitizen
Has anyone had issues with Visa Savings Edge rebates posting? I had Staples charges post on 7/9 for $3,100, but no corresponding $31 rebate.

Tried calling the fine folks over at Visa Savings Edge on Friday afternoon, but had nobody pick up. I'll be trying again this week.
My last Staples VGC purchase was on 8/4, VSE rebate posted 3 days later on 8/7.

Have you had previous rebates post successfully?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:45 pm

I just got my Ink card and thought I would start with $1K worth to get my feet wet. We were traveling this weekend and I went into an out of state staples to buy, the cashier had to call over the manager for approval, the manager came asked me for an ID and said he won't sell me GC's because my ID is from out of state and walked away - he has the right to refuse! I called him back asked him to explain why he is refusing (something related to fraud etc) - I had to tell him it is my card and I want to buy it he can call whoever he wants to get authorization if he didn't have the authority! Since I stood my ground, he finally gave in, apologized for being hasty and did the transaction.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Trying to buy in a state different than where you live a no-no? Didn't think it would be this much of a hassle to buy $1K worth - maybe I'll just order them online!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by neony77
I just got my Ink card and thought I would start with $1K worth to get my feet wet. We were traveling this weekend and I went into an out of state staples to buy, the cashier had to call over the manager for approval, the manager came asked me for an ID and said he won't sell me GC's because my ID is from out of state and walked away - he has the right to refuse! I called him back asked him to explain why he is refusing (something related to fraud etc) - I had to tell him it is my card and I want to buy it he can call whoever he wants to get authorization if he didn't have the authority! Since I stood my ground, he finally gave in, apologized for being hasty and did the transaction.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Trying to buy in a state different than where you live a no-no? Didn't think it would be this much of a hassle to buy $1K worth - maybe I'll just order them online!
Please don't ever visit my state.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by uneeq
Please don't ever visit my state.
Extremely helpful! Thanks! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.