Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I thought staples closed the portal loophole for VGCs?
You never know. Anything can happen in love, war & MS.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
Hopefully I see some shipment notifications for those soon.
Got the confirmation "The following items from your order have shipped"
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:18 pm

Anyone ever successfully use one of these at Aldi? Thought I read some anecdotes of success, but I was just met with failure.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by Jpr0930
Anyone ever successfully use one of these at Aldi? Thought I read some anecdotes of success, but I was just met with failure.
I'd suggest checking the general PINed card thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
I'd suggest checking the general PINed card thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html
Good point..that's likely where I read the anectdotes. Forgot about that thread.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I routinely use it at Aldi, no problem. I first register the cards at gowallet.com and add a pin.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:30 pm

Used GC Plastic - Recycle?

For those folks still doing the $200 GC to BB thing... what do you all do with the cards once they are used up? Just chuck them in the bin on the way out of Wally World? (Depending on the store, I would love to see the face of the person assigned to empty out those garbage bins and see a ton of these cards inside )

I am amassing quite a collection. Wondering if there is a way to recycle these things, even just to be environmentally friendly...
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by jk77341
For those folks still doing the $200 GC to BB thing... what do you all do with the cards once they are used up? Just chuck them in the bin on the way out of Wally World? (Depending on the store, I would love to see the face of the person assigned to empty out those garbage bins and see a ton of these cards inside )

I am amassing quite a collection. Wondering if there is a way to recycle these things, even just to be environmentally friendly...
I would keep used GCs for at least a couple of months and mark them with the date they were used in case you ever have any charge backs or other unforeseen incidents. I band my used GCs each day with packing tape and write the date on the tape with a sharpie.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
I would keep used GCs for at least a couple of months and mark them with the date they were used in case you ever have any charge backs or other unforeseen incidents. I band my used GCs each day with packing tape and write the date on the tape with a sharpie.
Goes in the first trash can I see between kate and car
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by jk77341
BestBuy has a bin for used gift cards for recycling in the entrance area.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by oohaahouch
Goes in the first trash can I see between kate and car
Hope that continues to work for you...
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:10 pm

^ No backup plan for just in case something happens. Bad idea.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by drminn
I routinely use it at Aldi, no problem. I first register the cards at gowallet.com and add a pin.
Thanks. Also read a couple different places that the last 4 of the card work as pin out of the box. My problem was I thought I was setting pin at the register..lol..so many different products with so many intricacies.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Well, the way it works for me is, as soon as i am done at kate, while the last reciept is printing, i bp th cc, start walking towards car, get confirmation of bp, trash the gc, drive home! Hope you know money cant move back 2 steps in current banking scenarios.😨
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: AA PLT
They work fine, just remember that no cash back is available at the register.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.