Community
Wiki Posts
Search

this guys could ruin us all

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:37 pm
Suspended

No circles or arrows. Your argument is invalid.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:19 pm

i mentioned here, or maybe on fatwallet that my local walmart called the cops on me after i left the store having done billpays. the next time i went, loss prevention stopped me from making billpays. it all makes sense now, was that same walmart on colony road in wallingford. at least one store has become more vigilant.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
Note to self: do not look like this criminal when going into store to buy gift cards. No double ponytail, no dreads, no pants-falling-down-past-butt look.
Then how the hell you gonna pick up the ladies?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mayday23
I thought the best strategy was to try to blend in with the shoppers and workers at Walmart?
Sorry, I don't tuck my pants into my socks, and routinely forget to wear my cutoff jorts that don't cover my butt.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:57 pm
Original Member

This is an interesting thread. I guess the lack of data on credit card swipe fees makes it hard to compare, but I am surprised at the high-horse that some posters quickly climb on.

If AMEX makes 2% on credit card swipes, pays 5% as a rebate to an MSer who charges $200,000 a year, AMEX would seem to lose $6,000. If someone steals an AMEX credit card and buys $6,000 worth of prepaids, AMEX will cover the loss of $6,000 incurred by the guy who had his credit card stolen.

Is the MSer better than the guy who stole the credit card? Certainly the MSer is better in the eyes of the law since MSing is legal but stealing a credit card is not. But isn't one of the key differences the fact that AMEX extended a sufficient line of credit to the MSer to allow him to make a bit of scratch? The gentleman who stole the credit card and bought some reloadables might not have qualified for a large enough line of credit to do much MSing. And he might not live near a WalMart.

The situation would of course be different if he mugged someone to get the stolen credit card. But if it were obtained nonviolently, is this guy that much different than an MSer? Is it really different for AMEX?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Andy2
This is an interesting thread. I guess the lack of data on credit card swipe fees makes it hard to compare, but I am surprised at the high-horse that some posters quickly climb on.

If AMEX makes 2% on credit card swipes, pays 5% as a rebate to an MSer who charges $200,000 a year, AMEX would seem to lose $6,000. If someone steals an AMEX credit card and buys $6,000 worth of prepaids, AMEX will cover the loss of $6,000 incurred by the guy who had his credit card stolen.

Is the MSer better than the guy who stole the credit card? Certainly the MSer is better in the eyes of the law since MSing is legal but stealing a credit card is not. But isn't one of the key differences the fact that AMEX extended a sufficient line of credit to the MSer to allow him to make a bit of scratch? The gentleman who stole the credit card and bought some reloadables might not have qualified for a large enough line of credit to do much MSing. And he might not live near a WalMart.

The situation would of course be different if he mugged someone to get the stolen credit card. But if it were obtained nonviolently, is this guy that much different than an MSer? Is it really different for AMEX?

Are you serious?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Rick471
Are you serious?
At least halfway. Care to explain the differences, or does the thumbs down fully express your thoughts. I am an MSer, too, by the way, but I think there is a loss to some party in the chain that constitutes the winnings to the MSer. Just like the guy who imprints the credit card.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Allowing the very few to benefit more than most from a bank's reward program is part of the cost of marketing their program and believe me they are reaping billions. Also, do not underestimate the ability of these reward program to get us to use not just a card, but we tend to put real business on these and other cards as well as doing other business with these banks due to other things they are able to promote to us. We then buy their gift cards which causes more swipe money from retailers to come their way.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Andy2
At least halfway. Care to explain the differences, or does the thumbs down fully express your thoughts. I am an MSer, too, by the way, but I think there is a loss to some party in the chain that constitutes the winnings to the MSer. Just like the guy who imprints the credit card.
If MS was putting a serious hit to their bottom line AE would turn off the faucet. Given they made $5.3B in 2013, MS is a drop in the bucket.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hmmurdock
If MS was putting a serious hit to their bottom line AE would turn off the faucet. Given they made $5.3B in 2013, MS is a drop in the bucket.
That's like saying AA made $400million last quarter, so fuel cost is just a drop in the bucket. Without something to compare it to, your logic is invalid.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: Hilton C, Marriott Pt, Delta Pt
If one making a 1-4% profit from CC companies can be put into the same category as a criminal stealing GCs, then how would you classify CC companies making a 10-30% profit from their members?
Of course, they're not in this business to make 2% swipe fees.

You don't have to worry their bottom lines. They're pretty good with numbers. Just don't miss your payments.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:38 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by flyertalk77
If one making a 1-4% profit from CC companies can be put into the same category as a criminal stealing GCs, then how would you classify CC companies making a 10-30% profit from their members?
Of course, they're not in this business to make 2% swipe fees.

You don't have to worry their bottom lines. They're pretty good with numbers. Just don't miss your payments.
I am not being critical of MSers. I am one, too. And the credit card companies are free to charge loan shark interest rates and prey on over-spenders and those too easily conned by marketing. I was just saying that perhaps we should not sit here and make fun of the guy who imprinted credit cards, which was what the first two pages of the thread were about, including some offensive posts early this morning that were deleted. Everyone has a way of trying to make a buck and it is not my place to feel superior. I think they made a movie on point called Trading Places. Given the right opportunity, the guy from the article might become one of the all-time great MSers.

And by the way, couldn't all of the rationales for making a buck from MSing be applied to credit card imprinting - it is just a drop in the bucket to the really big corporation that rips off a lot of its customers anyway. And I do not use my credit card for any additional spending compared to what I would use it for if MS did not exist (unless you count buying things with the MS profits).
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
That's like saying AA made $400million last quarter, so fuel cost is just a drop in the bucket. Without something to compare it to, your logic is invalid.
Actually it's not like saying that at all. Fuel costs to an airline are a cost of doing business. Giving spending and sign up rewards are not. If the costs they had budgeted for the reward programs were moving outside expectations they would take action. Program devaluation, changes to terms and conditions or discontinuation of cards, they have plenty of options. I could certainly put on my former auditor hat and comb through the 10k but I have AE gift cards to churn and MO's to deposit.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA silver
In the case of fraudulent charges, doesn't the vendor eat the cost not the credit card company? My father was a small business owner and got hosed by an amex chargeback to the tune of 2-3K.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by thebat
He was arrested for buying gift cards with stolen/fraudulent CC's.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/25330742/n...gift-card-scam

That's all your going to hear now from WalMart and Staples managers. I wouldn't be surprised if the police are called next time I try to load up some Ink.
Glad they caught him. If they caught more of them, we would have an easier time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.