Wiki Posts
Search

Social Engineering

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, DL
Social Engineering

I was in my favorite store today and there was a new cashier and new manager. Had to spend like 10 minutes to finish my normal transaction with lots of questions and curiosity from the new manager. However, I was able to do some small talk and get some information out of her. Reminded me of how important it is to build a good image and to maintain a good relationship with the people behind the counter.

Therefore, I was hoping to find some resources to further enhance my social engineering skills. Anyone with a good tip on how to approach and build good relationship with strangers? A good book on social engineering to read?

Thanks for any info in advance.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:22 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
I dont think you actually mean SE, I think what you're going for or rather should go for is called building a répertoire, being amiable and personable.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friend.../dp/0671027034

in any case, wrong forum!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
répertoire
Are you sure you didn't mean rapport?

rap·port
raˈpôr,rə-/
noun
noun: rapport; plural noun: rapports

a close and harmonious relationship in which the people or groups concerned understand each other's feelings or ideas and communicate well.
"she was able to establish a good rapport with the children"
synonyms: affinity, close relationship, understanding, mutual understanding, bond, empathy, sympathy, accord More
"board members fired him for failing to maintain good rapport with the trustees"

Origin
mid 17th century: French, from rapporter ‘bring back.’
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by fluffyCat
Are you sure you didn't mean rapport?

rap·port
raˈpôr,rə-/
noun
noun: rapport; plural noun: rapports

a close and harmonious relationship in which the people or groups concerned understand each other's feelings or ideas and communicate well.
"she was able to establish a good rapport with the children"
synonyms: affinity, close relationship, understanding, mutual understanding, bond, empathy, sympathy, accord More
"board members fired him for failing to maintain good rapport with the trustees"

Origin
mid 17th century: French, from rapporter ‘bring back.’
Obviously répertoire is french for rapport.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by FTRox87
I dont think you actually mean SE, I think what you're going for or rather should go for is called building a répertoire, being amiable and personable.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friend.../dp/0671027034

in any case, wrong forum!
I love when people try to use big words and do not even understand the meaning of the words they are using. Just kidding

OP__Do you really need a book to tell you how to be cordial to someone? Ask how they are doing, make small talk, and move on...it is not difficult enough to require the reading of a book.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
OP, how would you make friends? How is this any different? Let's take a field trip to Kindergarten.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, DL
Originally Posted by PainCorp
OP, how would you make friends? How is this any different? Let's take a field trip to Kindergarten.
Yes. It's not much different. However I'm interested in getting better at it. Not just for MS though being friendly to cashiers/tellers/managers has been really rewarding for me so far. Im sure its the same for many of you too. That's why good should become even better.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:45 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Discussion about social skills is off topic as it is not directly related to Manufactured Spending. Thread closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.