Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Question about $10-12k of qualified spending on my Delta Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about $10-12k of qualified spending on my Delta Amex

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Question Question about $10-12k of qualified spending on my Delta Amex

I' tried to read all of the threads here, but the amount of information is overwhelmingly huge it makes my head spin!!

So, please, be tolerant. All I want to do is to arrange have over the next ~6 months about $10-12k of qualified spending on my Delta Amex to hit my $25k limit.

From what I understand, this should work...

1. Buy $500 or $1000 visa gift cards (need the type with a PIN?) at CVS or somewhere that accepts my Amex for these cards. I presume that this transaction doesn't count as a cash advance or similar - in other words it's going to be good for my spend credit. Is that right?

2. Buy Money Order with these from WM. Max <$2k per transaction. Must use as a debit card with PIN, right?

3. Walk away with MO. Pay MO into my own bank.

4. Pay Amex in usual way.

Is this it? Do I get a star?

Some concerns & questions...

Are the PINs on these cards preset, or do I set them?

Will I get issues with WM wanting to see my name on these - do I have to use the sleight of hand techniques I read about? I'm not too good at that

Can the MOs be bought at a machine, or over the internet?

I assume there's no way I can credit the debit cards direct into my bank account, or get cash from an ATM with them?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:11 pm

1-4 are correct

This post may help:
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/0...ds-at-walmart/

PIN depends on which card you buy. The ones in CVS and Walgreens (Vanillas) you do not set the PIN in advance)

WM: varies. I have never had trouble with any WM employee asking to see the card but others have a different experience. You have to try it out.

Machine : varies if your WM has a machine or not. I have never seen one.

No way to get the MO over the internet or to get Cash out that I know of.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks cyclotron

So the vanillas then have a PIN probably behind some scratch off?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:28 pm

No scratch-offs on any of these.
Just use any four digits (e.g. 1234) when you use them for the first time

Read the wiki here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:29 pm

You're in my area, the WM money center here doesn't care that your debit card (Don't call it a gift card) does not have your name on it, no sleight of hand needed. This area is very lenient
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:31 pm

Not sure if you're already familiar with Amazon payments, but it's a pretty easy way to do at least $1k/month fee free (as long as you have someone you trust enough to send $1k) and would take care of about half your desired spend. Might be worth looking in to as a lower cost option.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hitman1420
You're in my area, the WM money center here doesn't care that your debit card (Don't call it a gift card) does not have your name on it, no sleight of hand needed. This area is very lenient
Cool - thanks!

Is that the one in RSM by any chance? That's my closest (or the Foothill Ranch WM just of the 241 is larger).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help people!
Old May 1, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

One more question...

Why bother with the MO part? It looks like I can transfer directly to my bank account, or write a check (checks are free until June 1st 2014 BTW)
Old May 1, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by tanglin
I' tried to read all of the threads here, but the amount of information is overwhelmingly huge it makes my head spin!!

So, please, be tolerant. All I want to do is to arrange have over the next ~6 months about $10-12k of qualified spending on my Delta Amex to hit my $25k limit.

From what I understand, this should work...

1. Buy $500 or $1000 visa gift cards (need the type with a PIN?) at CVS or somewhere that accepts my Amex for these cards. I presume that this transaction doesn't count as a cash advance or similar - in other words it's going to be good for my spend credit. Is that right?

2. Buy Money Order with these from WM. Max <$2k per transaction. Must use as a debit card with PIN, right?

3. Walk away with MO. Pay MO into my own bank.

4. Pay Amex in usual way.

Is this it? Do I get a star?

Some concerns & questions...

Are the PINs on these cards preset, or do I set them?

Will I get issues with WM wanting to see my name on these - do I have to use the sleight of hand techniques I read about? I'm not too good at that

Can the MOs be bought at a machine, or over the internet?

I assume there's no way I can credit the debit cards direct into my bank account, or get cash from an ATM with them?

Thanks!

Why dont you just buy Amex GC at the 3.5% rate at CB right now - that is what I do to make my 60k spend on my delta card
Old May 1, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kingrat
Why dont you just buy Amex GC at the 3.5% rate at CB right now - that is what I do to make my 60k spend on my delta card
Or 3x additional DL miles per $ if you prefer the miles.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:03 pm

No kidding. Buying AMX CC 60k in one card. How long did you spend that much?
Old May 1, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

CB? Is 3.5% a discount or a charge? Sorry for being slow of thinking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.