Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: All, but no status!
Walmart starts new money transfer service

Who knows what will come of it, but kind of interesting:

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...oneygram.html/
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:58 am

Patsley noted that the price differences range from $50 cents to $2, depending on the transfer amount.

I wonder how my walmart sells MO for 25 cents...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vinhboy
Patsley noted that the price differences range from $50 cents to $2, depending on the transfer amount.

There's not

It's transferring $ to another Walmart. This is designed to send $, not get MO's or pay bills
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hilton C, Marriott Pt, Delta Pt
They're not selling MOs. They're offering money transfer services at their stores.

http://blog.walmart.com/money-transf...prices-for-all

"Walmart-2-Walmart offers a simple and transparent fee structure with just two price points: customers can transfer up to $50 for $4.50 and up to $900 for $9.50."

Just looking at the price structure, it doesn't appear to be a MS material/vehicle.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.

My Wally is 55 cents. ^
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
up to $900 for $9.50

1.06%

if they only accept CC (unlikely).

Last edited by pier11; Apr 17, 2014 at 12:25 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I just thought it was interesting in the sense that WM is undermining MG, with w-2-w transfers to start but it may lead to other changes, probably not good for us.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pier11
up to $900 for $9.50

1.06%

if they only accept CC (unlikely).
Good point. If they accept CC, I'd use my 2% card to send myself money all day long!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Etihad Gold, Amtrak Select
Walmart-2-Walmart: MG/WU competitor

Article in WSJ about Walmart's new money transfer service to rival MoneyGram and WU:

The giant retailer on Thursday unveiled the new service, Walmart-2-Walmart, which will allow customers to send and receive up to $900 at a time at more than 4,000 stores. The new service applies only to payments that are sent and received in the U.S.
The service launches April 24. Wal-Mart said the service fees—$4.50 for transfers up to $50 and $9.50 for transfers up to $900—are 50% or more below the cost of existing offerings.
MoneyGram said Walmart-2-Walmart's service fees are 25 cents lower than what MoneyGram offers through Wal-Mart for transfers up to $50, and $2 less than MoneyGram's fee on transfers between $50 and $200.
First things first:
1) Yeah, it's super expensive compared to other MS.
2) No word on how to buy these (assume DB/cash only).
I'm not advocating this as the next best thing in MS, but wanted to share this with those who follow the industry as I do.

The key takeaway here is this means WMT is expanding it's financial services footprint, and doing so by reducing the costs of existing methods in the market. This is GOOD NEWS for us. This is even better news, of course, if you actually use services like MG or WU to send money to family and friends.

You can read the article in full here.

Last edited by luggagebin; Apr 18, 2014 at 5:43 am Reason: Updated link
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:35 am

"Shares in MoneyGram, which provides money-transfer services in Wal-Mart stores and said it was surprised by the move, fell 17.7%. Shares in Western Union dropped 5%."
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:01 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
wait, whats the point of this, is this an in-house solution to WU money transfer? ... like say you go on a hiking trip, lose your wallet or something, call up your brother and have him wire you some money to the closest WM from his local WM? is that what WM-2-WM is in essence?

WM is gonna cannibalize and crush MG and WU - stock price reflects that, but not sure if that is entirely good as most of us use MG for MOs.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FTRox87
wait, whats the point of this, is this an in-house solution to WU money transfer? ... like say you go on a hiking trip, lose your wallet or something, call up your brother and have him wire you some money to the closest WM from his local WM? is that what WM-2-WM is in essence?

WM is gonna cannibalize and crush MG and WU - stock price reflects that, but not sure if that is entirely good as most of us use MG for MOs.
That seems like a good practical use, and maybe a reason we could be talking about this in the "Travel Technology" forum.

But your second point is what I had in mind – I say: the system works great from our perspective right now; let's not monkey around with it please!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Originally Posted by f0xx
My Wally is 55 cents. ^
My WM is free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.