Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Most efficient way to MS if cost isn't an issue?

Most efficient way to MS if cost isn't an issue?

Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
The uber-basics, without any discounts, point malls, rebates or anything else (both methods basically unlimited):

Buying GCs from grocery stores, convenience stores, etc: $4.95/$500 = about 1 cent per mile. Slightly less than that if you buy Money Orders to cash out.

Buying GCs from Staples with Ink card: $6.95/$200 (1000+ miles) = .7 cents per mile. Ditto on money order thing.

Those are pretty much the easiest methods that you can get.
Thanks all for the comments, I am not against doing my own homework - in fact I read over these forums for a solid month before buying a single bean. And yes, there are a great many methods out there and the one that YOU are most comfortable with are the ones that you will dive deeper into. The 2 methods above (along with AP) are what I am going to concentrate on and ramp up as needed. Figure I can always buy the miles/points I need to augment the MS that i am comfortable continuing going forward...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:21 pm

I'd say in your scenario, the best way MS methods will involve those that do not require going to the store since that can be time consuming depending on how convenient the locations are to you. If you accumulate a variety of methods that will allow you to do so online then you'll never have to leave your seat. Amazon payments as already mentioned. Serve will allow you to load $1k/$1.5k (w/ ISIS) per month. I've been able to use the PayPal Business Debit card conservatively for about $1k+/mo as well. I have to go to pick the reload cards up at a drugstore but it is literally along the way I walk home from work. I timed myself and it adds no more than 4 minutes to my commute. Good luck!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by neworleans flyer
Thanks all for the comments, I am not against doing my own homework - in fact I read over these forums for a solid month before buying a single bean. And yes, there are a great many methods out there and the one that YOU are most comfortable with are the ones that you will dive deeper into. The 2 methods above (along with AP) are what I am going to concentrate on and ramp up as needed. Figure I can always buy the miles/points I need to augment the MS that i am comfortable continuing going forward...
I by no means believe I am an expert or veteran, but once you have your own solid methods down that you feel comfortable with, and that work for you; you will realize that having someone ask to have your favorite method explained on an open internet forum for anyone to read may not be your favorite thing to do. (My English teacher would be mad at that run-on sentence) Somethings should be slightly difficult for the masses to get into. It protects both them and the method.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:39 pm

Depends on your credit line as well.
It is pretty easy to go to store x, buy in quantity for item y, set up yourself as an Amazon seller and ship the lot to their warehouse. If you can buy 10-20k in product at a time and send it in all at once it is pretty low effort.

But you may be floating that money awhile and if you don't do enough research on 'item y' you might get stuck with them.

Another low effort but requires float is Kiva Loans. If you figure the cost of floating funds in you might beat 1.8 cents a mile.

One caution: Miles are not worth what you can buy them for, the value is based on how you use them. Look at best fare price use flexible dates and search all routes (because that is what you often need to do to book an award ticket) figure miles to get that same fare, then subtract from cash ticket price the tax and fees on the reward ticket, divide by number of miles. That is the value. Now subtract your MS costs. Was it worth the effort?

It isn't always. Time is money.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whitey4545
I by no means believe I am an expert or veteran, but once you have your own solid methods down that you feel comfortable with, and that work for you; you will realize that having someone ask to have your favorite method explained on an open internet forum for anyone to read may not be your favorite thing to do. (My English teacher would be mad at that run-on sentence) Somethings should be slightly difficult for the masses to get into. It protects both them and the method.
I disagree fully with your claim.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
It's true. I just got off the phone with whitey's English teacher and was she was quite upset.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:20 pm
jmw

you will realize that having someone ask to have your favorite method explained on an open internet forum for anyone to read may not be your favorite thing to do. (My English teacher would be mad at that run-on sentence) Somethings should be slightly difficult for the masses to get into. It protects both them and the method.
+1. Best to come up with your own somewhat hard to find method and then keep it to yourself.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:44 pm

I can't believe no one mentioned this: Google Wallet.
It's 2.7% I believe you said cost wasn't an issue and you wanted it to be easy enough to do it from home. Not worth it for most but still it fits your criteria.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by whitesol
It's 2.7% I believe you said cost wasn't an issue and you wanted it to be easy enough to do it from home. Not worth it for most but still it fits your criteria.
That's about 1.3-1.5 cents per mile. Below the OPs 1.8 cents "number to beat". Plus, it's super easy and efficient.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
In what ways do you disagree?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by jmw
+1. Best to come up with your own somewhat hard to find method and then keep it to yourself.
This isn't really the point I was trying to make... I am fine sharing my experience and even the methods which I use, I just prefer them to be shared within a deeper thread that isn't as easily accessible to the masses or through a PM. Like I said I don't do anything that isn't completely spelled out here on FT, but most things I had to put in time to really learn the ins and outs of the method.

Maybe I have the wrong idea but that is how I feel about it.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by silver4300
That's about 1.3-1.5 cents per mile. Below the OPs 1.8 cents "number to beat". Plus, it's super easy and efficient.
I'm not sure where you're getting your math from unless you're using a credit card that earns more than 1 mile per dollar spent on Google Wallet. In order to get down to 1.3 cents per mile, you'd have to have a credit card that gives about 2 miles per dollar spent on Google Wallet. Am I missing something?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Thrilla
I'm not sure where you're getting your math from unless you're using a credit card that earns more than 1 mile per dollar spent on Google Wallet. In order to get down to 1.3 cents per mile, you'd have to have a credit card that gives about 2 miles per dollar spent on Google Wallet. Am I missing something?
Correct. I was thinking of cards like Venture or Barclay. A 1% card would be around 2.6cpm.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by silver4300
It's true. I just got off the phone with whitey's English teacher and was she was quite upset.
Very good!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whitesol
Well I am primarily using my United Club Card which gives me 1.5 miles for every dollar spent. My fuzzy math tells me it's effectively paying 2.1 cents per mile?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.