FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Is Incomm SPYING on me? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1568512-incomm-spying-me.html)

BillyBaloney Apr 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Is Incomm SPYING on me?

Had something very unusual happen to me the other day. I will be brief, and hopefully I can get some input from other people...

I went to a store that sells Vanilla Reload cards (the good ones, scratchoff) and I bought 4 cards at $500.00 each. I go there quite frequently and some of the cashiers recognize me. Well, the other day as I'm buying my reloads, the cashier calls the manager up to the checkout as I'm checking out...

She looks at him and says, "Pete, this is the gentleman that buys the Vanilla Reloads all the time...,". He says, Oh, OK, or something like that. He then goes on to explain that he got a call and he was just checking out who I was - then he said, "they called, and they don't want to have any misuse of tranferring money," or something like that.

I explained that I travel a lot, and these cards help me pay my bills. I offered to show him my I.D. and he said no, that wasn't necessary. I then asked, "Who called you??" He responded that it was INCOMM and they are just concerned about possible fraudulent behavior. He didn't seem really interested in me and the entire episode was over in a minute or two.

I had the following questions, if anyone can be so kind as to reply:

1.Has something like this ever happend to you?
2.Does INCOMM really call the individual stores, and inquire about people that buy a lot of Vanilla Reloads?
3.What the heck was he checking - just to see who I was?
4.If this happened to you, would you buy less VR's at one time so as not to raise any awareness?

Any thoughts or opinions would be most welcome.
Thanks,
bb

andydrix Apr 11, 2014 7:44 pm

The most important question: Were you able to buy the VRs with a CC?

BillyBaloney Apr 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Yes, I was.

commdiver Apr 11, 2014 7:48 pm

Incomm called my local CVS too. They told the manager to sell VRs only to me, not to anyone else.

PainCorp Apr 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by andydrix (Post 22691398)
The most important question: Were you able to buy the VRs with a CC?

I think there's a better question. Why, oh dear god why, was purple text used? This isn't AOL in the 90s. =P

commdiver Apr 11, 2014 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 22691420)
I think there's a better question. Why, oh dear god why, was purple text used? This isn't AOL in the 90s. =P

Yo, man. The dream of the '90s is alive in Portland.

skibum7732 Apr 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Be careful, they likely hid cameras in your home when you were at work and tapped your phone as well.

MasterCharge Apr 11, 2014 8:11 pm

i would recommend you check your left front car wheel for a gps unit sir...

BillyBaloney Apr 11, 2014 8:15 pm

OK, OK, take your wise cracks, it's all fun. But I'm serious, does INCOMM actually call the stores and attempt to "track" people?

OHijAAzi73 Apr 11, 2014 8:36 pm

Not really spying....just their Risk management/loss prevention doing their job...happened twice to me....the first one at SW buying OV....bought 2 OV in separate transaction...few days later the same cashier recognized me when he saw me buying OV again and told me that someone (Incomm) called shortly after I left and apparently just wanted to make sure it's not fraudulent (check ID/CC blah blah)...and had no problems buying more of them until it died...
The second one was at a different place and they called while I was still there! ,which I believe triggered by the cashier trying to activate the cards!....awkward experience ....but still,didn't have problem buying them again...

So yes they are watching...

grayland Apr 11, 2014 9:02 pm

I think there are two important questions:

1. Where were you able to buy VR with CC.
2. Why why why.....the PURPLE ink???

I hope others don't feel the need to stand out with colored posts. It would be very annoying to read. :(

kenme1 Apr 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Yes, do tell us where you are buying VR's with a CC. Please!!!!! I am going through withdraws and need a fix.

caGALINDO Apr 11, 2014 9:41 pm

I will give a very informed opinion. Halt all MS activities.
The NSA is on to us!

cbn42 Apr 12, 2014 12:42 am

I don't think this has anything to do with you in particular. Incomm probably noticed that this particular store is selling a lot of their products, so they called the manager and asked him to look into it. The manager looked at you and determined that the purchases were legitimate. If Incomm calls back, he will tell them that he saw the guy who is making the purchases and found no cause for concern.

AlohaDaveKennedy Apr 12, 2014 6:00 am

Indeed, spying would imply that Incomm shares data with the NSA and CIA. But no major US companies do that now, do they? Oops, let me rephrase that...:p

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73 (Post 22691564)
Not really spying....just their Risk management/loss prevention doing their job...happened twice to me....the first one at SW buying OV....bought 2 OV in separate transaction...few days later the same cashier recognized me when he saw me buying OV again and told me that someone (Incomm) called shortly after I left and apparently just wanted to make sure it's not fraudulent (check ID/CC blah blah)...and had no problems buying more of them until it died...
The second one was at a different place and they called while I was still there! ,which I believe triggered by the cashier trying to activate the cards!....awkward experience ....but still,didn't have problem buying them again...

So yes they are watching...