Combining VGCs/MCGCs

Old Apr 10, 14, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A silver, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Combining VGCs/MCGCs

Hi all,

I know that people around here are ending up with a lot of VGCs and MCGCs through their MS activities. And it seems like a common hazard with liquidating these is the fact that some of the payment outlets (AP, for example) don't tend to like it when you constantly swap out cards.

I know that with AmEx GCs, you can have one "master" GC where you buy one, register it, cash it out, then buy another, then transfer the balance to the first one. That will allow you to continue purchasing new GCs, but keep the same credit card number.

I was wondering if it is possible to do that with the Visa or MC cards. Especially when many places limit you to $100 or $200 cards, the possibility of transferring balances to a different card would be hugely helpful.

Anybody know if this is possible?
Old Apr 10, 14, 5:53 pm

Most of these types of cards tended to load with vanilla reloads, so they don't work anymore for most. Some load with moneypaks which work for some.
The two best similar options I know are bluebird and Target prepaid card.
I don't know of anything like you are talking about. I think it would be all the rage if it existed. Whatever it was would probably cost money and eat into your profit of course.
Old Apr 10, 14, 5:56 pm

Simple.
Buy two of the same GC. Ring them up and ask if you're able to.
Old Apr 10, 14, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
Most of these types of cards tended to load with vanilla reloads, so they don't work anymore for most. Some load with moneypaks which work for some.
The two best similar options I know are bluebird and Target prepaid card.
I don't know of anything like you are talking about. I think it would be all the rage if it existed. Whatever it was would probably cost money and eat into your profit of course.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of these cards loaded with VR or moneypaks. And I'm not talking about BB or Target at all.

For example, you can get a $200 VGC at Staples (or $100 from Staples.com). That can't be loaded with VR.

But can I buy a $200 card, spend that money, buy another $200 card, and transfer those funds to the first (empty) card? Just like you can with AmEx GCs?
Old Apr 10, 14, 6:50 pm

I guess I'm not understanding the value in what you are saying. What you really need is a card with your name on it that you can load several thousand dollars. But no, I don't think the product you are talking about exists. I get how what you are saying can be a little helpful with AP, and maybe a few other things, but I don't see how it would make a scalable difference.
Old Apr 11, 14, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
I guess I'm not understanding the value in what you are saying. What you really need is a card with your name on it that you can load several thousand dollars. But no, I don't think the product you are talking about exists. I get how what you are saying can be a little helpful with AP, and maybe a few other things, but I don't see how it would make a scalable difference.
Well buying MOs with a single $2500 swipe would be useful as opposed to 4 x $100 swipes if limited to small denominations.
Old Apr 11, 14, 9:25 am

Guess I was not aware of the whole AmEx 'master' GC, would anyone please PM me with a bit more details?
Old Apr 11, 14, 11:16 am

Programs: CITI, Barclay, Fidelity Amex, CC
Originally Posted by nrdk View Post
Guess I was not aware of the whole AmEx 'master' GC, would anyone please PM me with a bit more details?
I also was unaware. Search hasn't turned anything up. I also checked the T&C that comes with the AEGCs, to no avail. Marcus, could you point toward that information? That would be an extra $100 a month for me.
Old Apr 11, 14, 11:24 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 14 at 1:08 am
Old Apr 11, 14, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by birdhands View Post
I also was unaware. Search hasn't turned anything up. I also checked the T&C that comes with the AEGCs, to no avail. Marcus, could you point toward that information? That would be an extra $100 a month for me.
Sometime ago someone had posted that if you call Amex customer service and want to transfer the GC balance from one GC to another then it can be done. You may have to call a few times to get a rep who will be willing to do it. I do not see a lot of utility in doing it for Amex GCs especially considering the time spent. But if that can be done for Visa then it will be very helpful for Walmart MO/BP.
Old Apr 11, 14, 11:28 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 14 at 1:08 am
Old Apr 11, 14, 11:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cyclotron View Post
Sometime ago someone had posted that if you call Amex customer service and want to transfer the GC balance from one GC to another then it can be done. You may have to call a few times to get a rep who will be willing to do it. I do not see a lot of utility in doing it for Amex GCs especially considering the time spent. But if that can be done for Visa then it will be very helpful for Walmart MO/BP.
I have yet to try this. Been meaning to but been lazy lol. Howerever, here are three uses for Amex GCs:
1-AP so that you are not constantly changing out GC numbers. Some warn that that might be a red flag.
2-Shopping at giftcardmall costs less per card for shipping when you order more. So constantly having a $3k card that you can refill with $500-$2k cards makes things a lot cheaper.
3-Buy one personalized GC for $3k and then reuse that card each time you go to CVS and have issues with cashier requiring a name on the card. Non-personalized cards take less time to be shipped so you get the card faster but still an use a personalized card in store.
Old Apr 11, 14, 11:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MsArbi View Post
I don't think the ability to buy $2.5k of MOs with a single swipe is all that more useful than with 4 swipes. But if you have a $2.5k GC with your name on it, it opens up other cash-out options.
Not more useful but more convenient as you are not constantly telling the cashier, $500 on this card. Plus I think some cashiers might be more suspect when you do multiple debit card swipes/more cards to have to hide if they are. (I don't have these issues but just spectulating.)
Old Apr 11, 14, 3:06 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by cdancer20 View Post
3-Buy one personalized GC for $3k and then reuse that card each time you go to CVS and have issues with cashier requiring a name on the card. Non-personalized cards take less time to be shipped so you get the card faster but still an use a personalized card in store.
I need to try this one day. Still wait a week for personalized to come.

Originally Posted by cdancer20 View Post
Not more useful but more convenient as you are not constantly telling the cashier, $500 on this card. Plus I think some cashiers might be more suspect when you do multiple debit card swipes/more cards to have to hide if they are. (I don't have these issues but just spectulating.)
+1
Old Apr 12, 14, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Ok, it seems like maybe this isn't something that Visa or MC do. For the people asking about AGCs, here is what I do:

1. Buy a $1000 (or other large denomination) AmEx GC.
2. Call the number on the back of the card (I think it's 877-297-4438) to register it with your name and address, because you can't register AmEx cards online.
3. Cash out the card on an outlet such as AP.
4. Buy smaller denomination AmEx GCs--Staples, for example, only has $200 cards where you can get your 5x Chase Ink bonus.
5. Call the phone number again and talk to a representative. Tell them you have some gift cards, and you want to transfer the balance to another gift card.
6. You can only transfer up to the amount that's on the original card. In this example, you are only able to transfer 5 $200 cards onto the original card.

The whole transfer process takes at most 5 minutes. I have never run into problems doing it, and there's never a wait to get to a representative.

As to why I do it, some people have already touched on the reasons.
1. I don't want to raise Amazon's (or anybody else's) suspicions about why I keep swapping out payment cards.
2. Also, it's kind of a pain in the ... to continuously add new payment methods and delete them later.
3. I generally have to register the cards for online purchase anyway, so this process saves some time.

If anybody has specific questions about this, please feel free to PM me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: