Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Receipt shows activated, but vanilla visa card not activated? Will lose money or not?

Receipt shows activated, but vanilla visa card not activated? Will lose money or not?

Old Apr 7, 14, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Receipt shows activated, but vanilla VGC not activated? Will lose money or not?

It was my first time with this experience . I bought 1 card for Onevanilla with $500, and 1 card for Vanilla visa (the gold one) with $500 at CVS. Both of them are activated on the receipt but the cards inside are not activated. What should I do? I really hate dealing with these problems Will I lose money or not?

Note: the packages are new, sealed, nothing is suspicious. I checked all packages before I bought.

Last edited by happy9zz; Apr 7, 14 at 12:38 pm Reason: Visa Gift card
Old Apr 7, 14, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
How long has it been?

Did you look online? Give it a few mins. Call incomm.
Old Apr 7, 14, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
The first one was 2 days ago. I called Vanilla visa phone number to solve the issue.
Today, the second one (the one the gold package) has the same problem. I really dont know why. It is my first time with this. I feel frustrated. How come it happens at my last month of my TYP?
Old Apr 7, 14, 12:40 pm

Whatever you do, don't throw away the receipt. As long as it says activated, you will need to wait and see if the GC bank will apply the money. Actually between CVS and the GC, the time allowed is 15 minutes. if it doesn't post after 1 hour, then you will need to speak with the GC 800#. If they have no trace of the money being applied, then you will have to speak with cvs. But that will ruffle some feathers with those guys and you could burn a CVS location by doing so. So hopefully it can be resolved by the GC issuing bank.
Old Apr 7, 14, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by happy9zz View Post
The first one was 2 days ago. I called Vanilla visa phone number to solve the issue
Will I lose money or not?
How will you lose money when you solved the issue 2 days ago ?
Old Apr 7, 14, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
How will you lose money when you solved the issue 2 days ago ?
The fund is still not available yet. They told me to wait for 2 or 3 days. It is just my opinion.

The second one, I will call when I take a break from work. I really dont like to deal with these problems.
Old Apr 7, 14, 12:47 pm
Original Member

I had this happen twice with OneVanillas from Walgreens. Had the activation slip and everything but the cards said never activated. InComm had me scan them the card And the receipt, and they were activated within 3 days.
Old Apr 7, 14, 12:50 pm

The second one, I will call when I take a break from work. I really dont like to deal with these problems.
It's all part of MSing. I've found it to be less stressful if I am prepared to have funds tied-up for 30 days. If I don't have any float and need the $$ soon to pay bills - I get really stressed out.

Good luck getting your money back.
Old Apr 7, 14, 12:54 pm

Just think about this.

Last week I went to buy 2 VGC at a gas station. He swiped and loaded one, then the second one, he took the first card and swiped it again. Not knowing this, I swiped my card for the second VGC and signed. Cashier said it didn't apply the load. Then he gave me the unactivated card (thought it was the first one) and threw away the declined reciept. I left the store. But something told me to go back.

Turned out the card I had in my hand was inactivated! and he put the activated one back on the shelf. OMG!!! so thank goodness I went back and figured out his shinanigans. I had to come back the folowing morning and speak with the store manager to get my money back. So in a sense, I burned that store. Nor do I want to deal with that clerk again.

I'm all bout under the radar. so I don't want to deal with managers and refunds and etc...for sure they will have a team meeting at shift change with this guy.

So don't worry man, I've been in your shoes and worse. When you MS, no matter how carefull you are, there will be mistakes made. Just make sure you keep a receipt will ALL activated/Deactivated/Declined tranactions.
Old Apr 7, 14, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andy2 View Post
I had this happen twice with OneVanillas from Walgreens. Had the activation slip and everything but the cards said never activated. InComm had me scan them the card And the receipt, and they were activated within 3 days.
The thing that I dont like about OneVanillas, and Vanilla VGC is the numbers on the cards that don't match with the number on the outside package
Last month, I had this problem but I lost my receipt and the package out side. I had only card. So I think I already lost 500$.

This time, I learned from that experience. Everytime I take out the card, I always write down the last 4 numbers of the card on the Package so it matches with the receipt.
Old Apr 7, 14, 12:59 pm

The thing that I dont like about OneVanillas, and Vanilla VGC is the numbers on the cards that don't match with the number on the outside package
Last month, I had this problem but I lost my receipt and the package out side. I had only card. So I think I already lost 500$.

This time, I learned from that experience. Everytime I take out the card, I always write down the last 4 numbers of the card on the Package so it matches with the receipt.
Very good info. I just throw all the packaging and receipts into a shooebox. I better start coordinating the numbers.
Old Apr 7, 14, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
I am amazed people participate in ms without a paper trail.

I hope it works out for you.

Where did you buy these gift cards, more importantly what volume are you pushing that this happened?
Old Apr 7, 14, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maksimfa View Post
I am amazed people participate in ms without a paper trail.

I hope it works out for you.

Where did you buy these gift cards, more importantly what volume are you pushing that this happened?
I bought them at CVS. When I started MS with my TYP, I didn't have any problem.
This problem happened to me when I was at a level of MS that I couldn't believe I am @ this level.
Old Apr 7, 14, 7:35 pm

I started with writing last 4 from GC onto opened package.

Now I write the whole GC number along with 3-digit CVV onto the package. This way if I ever lost/misplaced the physical GC, I can try an online transaction to get money out. And you can run an audit later to ensure all cards were actually used up to get a MO
Old Apr 8, 14, 11:46 am

I just had a similar problem at a new CVS location I decided to try. Bought 2 OV and 1 of them didn't activate while the other one did. Had to call OV and they opened a ticket for me, have to wait 72 hours now.

Search this Thread