FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Walgreens cash only for GC ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1566204-walgreens-cash-only-gc.html)

OHijAAzi73 Apr 4, 2014 12:48 am

Walgreens cash only for GC ?

What the...?

Saw a yellow "cash only" sicker on most of the VGC at 2 WG earlier,OV and even the $50 ones....grabbed a OV that didn't have the sticker and was able to buy it with CC...so its not hard coded.....yet.

Could be location specific.....I hope....but gotta confirm with other locations if this is a new policy or not...

kingrat Apr 4, 2014 6:00 am

150 viewed and no answers...

power of flyertalk...

KYBOSH Apr 4, 2014 6:07 am

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 22647224)
150 viewed and no answers......

Thats probably an answer in of itself

kingrat Apr 4, 2014 6:08 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH (Post 22647254)
Thats probably an answer in of itself

Yep :D

thetoad Apr 4, 2014 6:34 am

I've tried to buy them at walgreens in NYC (and at duane reads, same company) and they are hardcoded there.

tsmith12 Apr 4, 2014 6:37 am

Bought 2VGC two weeks ago with a CC...will try again this weekend.

aagiants Apr 4, 2014 7:42 am

Originally Posted by thetoad (Post 22647336)
I've tried to buy them at walgreens in NYC (and at duane reads, same company) and they are hardcoded there.

This is either new or you just had bad luck.

I bought a few of them 2 weeks ago in various duane reade location

Andy2 Apr 4, 2014 8:06 am

It varies from store to store on OneVanillas. All VRs got hard coded as cash only, but some stores did not code OneVanillas that way. It can literally vary from one store to another store just down the street. Be happy when you find one that works and don't publicize it too much.

PaulMSN Apr 4, 2014 10:24 am

All the Walgreens in Madison that I've been to allow $1K of GC or OV purchases with the exception of the one on Min. Pt. Rd., which limits you to $500. I should try a store in Milwaukee the next time I'm there.

TheDapperDon Apr 4, 2014 10:36 am

I've only gone to CVS, so I guess I need to check them out.

brc01 Apr 4, 2014 10:52 am

Walgreens is very YMMV. It's probably more of an individual store policy than a city-wide or even a regional policy.

I recently saw a Walgreens (in TX) that had half a dozen tacky word-processed sheets of paper plastered all over the gift card racks proclaiming CASH only for ALL gift cards. (Yes even $25 Panera Bread GCs!). :rolleyes:

ericdabbs Apr 4, 2014 11:23 am

Originally Posted by brc01 (Post 22648766)
Walgreens is very YMMV. It's probably more of an individual store policy than a city-wide or even a regional policy.

I recently was saw a Walgreens (in TX) that had half a dozen tacky word-processed sheets of paper plastered all over the gift card racks proclaiming CASH only for ALL gift cards. (Yes even $25 Panera Bread GCs!). :rolleyes:

LOL...man F that Walgreens. If they want to be so tight even on restaurant GCs then they don't deserve any business. I rarely see folks pay for GCs with cash even at the $25 level at most stores.

MaineCoon Apr 4, 2014 11:57 am

bought $500 VGC yesterday from Walgreens v/cc, no problem whatsoever.

thetoad Apr 4, 2014 2:41 pm

you are right, I was wrong, did it today. :)

traveltogo Apr 4, 2014 3:20 pm

No problem at my local walgreens today. $500 OV Visa with a CC.