Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walgreens cash only for GC ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by brero
per account.
Obviously. Beginners don't grasp multiple account opportunities at first.

As I've said before, Walgreens is very YMMV per STORE:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22648766-post11.html

I can usually get away with buying 2 VGC in a single transaction but have been limited to 1 VGC on a few occasions. Sadly Walgreens is no CVS where you can just stroll in and buy 5K without the cashier batting an eye. IME tying for more than 1K has caused unneeded alarm and/or manager intervention.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
AFAIK, it's been a long time like this for VRs.

I thought we were talking about VGCs here.
My comment was in reference to yours, bringing up VRs!

I personally did not bother to go to CVS lately, being offended by their new policy on VRs,

Wondering why CVS gets your displeasure when they were better about this than WG until very recently. But NVM
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
My comment was in reference to yours, bringing up VRs!

I personally did not bother to go to CVS lately, being offended by their new policy on VRs,

Wondering why CVS gets your displeasure when they were better about this than WG until very recently. But NVM
the point is moot.

WG had ALWAYS been this way.

We are wasting the valuable Internet space here.

Non-productive at all.

You are fine w/CVS, more power to you.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by nemlich22
Just an update: tried a 4th Walgreens today and finally had success. Bought 2x$500 VGC. The cashier called her manager for approval and then checked my ID/CC closely.

Any reason why they wouldn't allow purchase of these with a CC?
The original post indicated that the stores one visited on latter visits posted signs cash only on GCs.

WHY? Because they did. It's their prerogative to set local policy as they see fit.

There are numerous posts back and forth: "Wags requires cash only", "No, they don't! I just bought one today with a CC". "Yes, they do! My store said so." As someone stated over and over: YMMV.

I see success was noted. Now one knows what store to patronize.

These drug chains are not consistent. Why did a Wags cashier tell me that a Vanilla GC is a "credit" and cannot be bought with a CC? Because. I simply found an alternative (other employee, thank goodness).

MS is just not designed to be fun.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
The original post indicated that the stores one visited on latter visits posted signs cash only on GCs.

WHY? Because they did. It's their prerogative to set local policy as they see fit.

There are numerous posts back and forth: "Wags requires cash only", "No, they don't! I just bought one today with a CC". "Yes, they do! My store said so." As someone stated over and over: YMMV.

I see success was noted. Now one knows what store to patronize.

These drug chains are not consistent. Why did a Wags cashier tell me that a Vanilla GC is a "credit" and cannot be bought with a CC? Because. I simply found an alternative (other employee, thank goodness).

MS is just not designed to be fun.
I am not buying this.

There is a corporate policy on those issues and local manager can not overwrite it IMO.

I would talk to the manager. I wouldn't argue with her/him though, if they insisted, and just go to the different store.

But I have to make the stupid cashier insisting VGCs are cash-only to call the manager. 10 out of 10 the manager confirms ccs are fine for VGCs.

The last time it happened: today
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
I've never tried for more than 2x$500 since some stores/cashiers enforce the $500 per day limit which is WG corporate policy. Someone in another thread contacted WG about it and they confirmed the daily purchase limit is $500. I don't want to push it when I've got CVSs near by if I need volume. My future WG purchases will likely be limited to PP MyCash reloads since I've been able to get them with a CC.
A manager also told me it was $500/day for OV. Did not know about the PP option...may move more in that direction if the bird route is dying.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
I am not buying this.

There is a corporate policy on those issues and local manager can not overwrite it IMO.

I would talk to the manager. I wouldn't argue with her/him though, if they insisted, and just go to the different store.

But I have to make the stupid cashier insisting VGCs are cash-only to call the manager. 10 out of 10 the manager confirms ccs are fine for VGCs.

The last time it happened: today
I must have a lax Walgreens. I've purchased 1k of OVs several times at my local store.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
I must have a lax Walgreens. I've purchased 1k of OVs several times at my local store.
I've done $2k at a time.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: Southwest CP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Fuerza
I've done $2k at a time.
My record for a single VGC purchase at WG stands at $5k.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: MP 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott G, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
A manager also told me it was $500/day for OV. Did not know about the PP option...may move more in that direction if the bird route is dying.
There seems to be (surprise!) no consistency: bought 2.5K worth in one day, could not buy more than one $500 a week later. And not just OV - VGC as well.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:00 pm

Is the corporate policy $500 per day per store, or $500 per day? We all go to different stores to bypass the $500 daily limit (I have some some stores in which I'm ok to buy 1k). I guess I want to know if the WAG official policy says you can't buy more than $500/daily by going to different stores.

The reason I ask is because I went to my closest WAG, and the night manager didn't allow me to buy a single one. I explained to him that these cards can be bought with CC, and I did talk with the day manager (his boss) and he let me buy with CC (after initially claiming I couldn't buy these with CC, but then reading his memo and seeing he was wrong). So I thought I was on the clear with this store to buy $500 daily without any hassle from the cashiers going forward. Boy, was I wrong. The night shift manager said a memo was passed to not sell these with CC because some people ( probably me) are buying more than $500 by going to other stores. I am probably the only person in my geography doing this. So he was probably talking about me, without admitting it. He said I should talk to the day shift manager, which I plan to do. I won't admit to buying more at other stores, but why do they care?! They have less risk selling a known buyer $5,000 per day with a CC than selling $500 to someone they don't know. Heck, we all would go back to a store to sort any problems in which we end up with more money than we deserved, because $500 is nothing compared to what this opportunity brings! CV$, WAG, etc, are like sacred cows to us

Last edited by andres17; Sep 11, 2014 at 11:15 pm
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:34 pm

andres, there is no logic.

and yes, there is a policy. One card per register. got it? smart guy : D
Old Sep 12, 2014, 6:07 am

I have friendly W, I can deal with their limit of 2 per person on PPMC and the ppGCs. When there are promos of no purchase fees or during the last promo weeks ago (buy 2 vanilla GCs, get $5 W GC free), I go more often.

the only ones hard coded for cash at the stores I go to are the Balance Financial debit, VR, GDMPs, MVD. If there is a way for them to be sold for CC, the SM said she will, but unfortunately, she can't. I appreciate her honesty and as long as CCs are accepted for PPMCs and beans and they have no purchase fees promo, I'll continue buying there.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I have friendly W, I can deal with their limit of 2 per person on PPMC and the ppGCs. When there are promos of no purchase fees or during the last promo weeks ago (buy 2 vanilla GCs, get $5 W GC free), I go more often.

the only ones hard coded for cash at the stores I go to are the Balance Financial debit, VR, GDMPs, MVD. If there is a way for them to be sold for CC, the SM said she will, but unfortunately, she can't. I appreciate her honesty and as long as CCs are accepted for PPMCs and beans and they have no purchase fees promo, I'll continue buying there.
Is there a 5% cashback card for Walgreens? What cards are people using or do you just do this for minimum spend requirements?

Also is there a no purchase fee promo going on right now?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by letopeto
Is there a 5% cashback card for Walgreens? What cards are people using or do you just do this for minimum spend requirements?

Also is there a no purchase fee promo going on right now?
I think what you're looking for is the balance rewards card, which gives you cash back towards your walgreens purchases. You should definitely sign up for one of those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.