Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS

Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
There are four cash reload options listed on the Emerald site. The question is whether any of their outlets will accept either credit cards directly or debit cards purchased through a portal with a credit card.

Rapid Reload at WalMart
1. Take your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid MasterCard and cash, payroll or government benefits check to any register at a participating Walmart (Rapid Reload not available in VT and WY).
2. If you have a check, the cashier will cash your check (Check cashing not available in NJ, NY, RI. Check cashing fees apply).
3. Swipe your Emerald Card and add all or part of your cash directly to it-load up to $1,000 as long as you don't exceed the card load limits. A service fee of $3.74 applies.

GreenDot Money Pak
1. Pick up a MoneyPak from your participating neighborhood retailer.
2. Go to the register and add cash to the MoneyPak (up to $500 at most locations, up to $1,000 at Walmart). A service fee of up to $4.95 applies.

MoneyGram
1. Fill out the blue form or pick up the MoneyGram phone. Provide the following information:
Company Name: Emerald Card
Receive Code: 4941
Account Number: Your Emerald Card Number
2. Add the funds you want and the $3.95 fee.
3. Keep the reference number that confirms your transactions.

Western Union
1. Complete the gray Prepaid Services form and provide the agent with cash for your load amount and the $3.95 fee.
2. Save your receipt with your Money Transfer Control Number

To use your emerald for ach payments:
1. get your information from the direct deposits section of your emerald account
2. go to your bill (CC) and put that information in as your new payee
3. schedule your payment using that payee for the amount loaded to your emerald card. Posts next day and shows up as gone next day on emerald.

Please add your comments where necessary......

===
From the T&Cs (April 2015):
  • The maximum amount of cash value you may load to your Card Account each day is $999.99.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per day is four (4).
  • The maximum amount of cash value that you may load to your Card Account each month is $9,500.00.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per month is ten (10).

• The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from an ATM per day is $3,000.00 per card.
  • The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from a participating bank per day is the available balance of your Card Account.
  • The maximum that can be spent per Card per day is $3,500.00.
Print Wikipost

Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS

Old May 21, 2014, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by silver4300
More than one minute since you have to route funds through a bank and then pay the bill.
no you don't. emerald card is your bank. You put in your emerald card information as the "bank" and ach. This information is not the same as your credit card number. I think it uses the information for direct deposits.

I am getting an apache error on the web site again so cannot verify

edit:
got in via firefox.

You use the information from direct deposits as your payee in your bill you are paying (credit card) and essentially use emerald as your bank. No fees.

Last edited by aeneas3; May 21, 2014 at 4:59 am
Old May 21, 2014, 6:22 am

It adds a few steps, but I'm heading out today to try this.

For those who can get RelIt cards (via CC), and load them to the T-mobile card... the purchase fee is refunded if the load amount is > $300. So essentially can load $300-$500 for no cost.

I'm going to see if the T-mobile card works for Emerald swipe reload at WM. I have no reason to believe it won't. IF it works, and is only for $500 max. Then the fee cost is the same as VR. If it works for $999.99 then it is half the cost of VR loading... but takes time and driving.

Why worth it? LOTS of reports of T-M shutdowns using their billpay feature. Emerald billpay is painless and minimal cost IMO. It's just a matter of getting the $$ moved around. (before you suggest it... I already move about the max in MOs that I'm comfy with across my banks. So this is about above & beyond that).

Will report back later.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by PtsJunkieWI

For those who can get RelIt cards (via CC), and load them to the T-mobile card... the purchase fee is refunded if the load amount is > $300. So essentially can load $300-$500 for no cost.

I'm going to see if the T-mobile card works for Emerald swipe reload at WM. I have no reason to believe it won't. IF it works, and is only for $500 max. Then the fee cost is the same as VR. If it works for $999.99 then it is half the cost of VR loading... but takes time and driving.

Why worth it? LOTS of reports of T-M shutdowns using their billpay feature. Emerald billpay is painless and minimal cost IMO. It's just a matter of getting the $$ moved around. (before you suggest it... I already move about the max in MOs that I'm comfy with across my banks. So this is about above & beyond that).

Will report back later.
It does work and the max is $500.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:29 am
Suspended

Will report back later.
To each their own but if you do this you are throwing away the ability to use your CCs for another $5k per month . There are still places to get VRs with a CC depending on ones location. Or depending on what you earn back from your CC RR @ WM can still be profitable

Your worried about $5k per month into your bank via MOs.I do more then that per week. Could be you arent well established with your bank
Old May 21, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by craz
To each their own but if you do this you are throwing away the ability to use your CCs for another $5k per month . There are still places to get VRs with a CC depending on ones location. Or depending on what you earn back from your CC RR @ WM can still be profitable

Your worried about $5k per month into your bank via MOs.I do more then that per week. Could be you arent well established with your bank
I do not live in a place where VRs can still be purchased with CC.. I have looked, quite diligently.

I DO live in a place where Relits can be purchased with CC, and at 5x CB, hence my interest in the T-M card... Emerald is just a way for me to liquidate the T-M besides MOs.

I am also not worried about $5k / month in MO's... I already do much more than that across several banks... And I don't care to tread even further beyond where I'm at in that regard.

Just to follow-up on my own post earlier, as heyeaglefn also wrote, RR did work for Emerald using T-M, with $500/transaction max @ $3.74 fee.
As a side note, used NW Buxx to RR another $499 to same Emerald.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

I do not live in a place where VRs can still be purchased with CC.. I have looked, quite diligently.
I have read some posts claiming VR purchase with CC, unless its specified where, it cannot be verified!

I got the following email offer, but meaningless for MS?

"Get your Memorial Day weekend off to a great start with a no-fee reload from MoneyGram. This Friday, May 23rd, add cash to your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid MasterCard for no fee at any of the 39,000 MoneyGram locations nationwide."
Old May 21, 2014, 8:21 pm

I DO live in a place where Relits can be purchased with CC, and at 5x CB, hence my interest in the T-M card... Emerald is just a way for me to liquidate the T-M besides MOs.

I am also not worried about $5k / month in MO's... I already do much more than that across several banks... And I don't care to tread even further beyond where I'm at in that regard.

Just to follow-up on my own post earlier, as heyeaglefn also wrote, RR did work for Emerald using T-M, with $500/transaction max @ $3.74 fee.
As a side note, used NW Buxx to RR another $499 to same Emerald.

I don't quite understand why would someone pay $3.74 to "transfer" money from T-M to Emerald. With T-M you can do a CA at the bank up to $500 for a $2 fee, or get CB at the store, or you can do BP or MO.... Why to make things more complicated and involve Emerald?
Because you can do BP from Emerald?? Wow! I'm lost!
Old May 22, 2014, 9:16 am

It seems i've been getting a issue with hr website when I tried to log in in past two days. anyone else?
Old May 22, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Originally Posted by Zgirl
I don't quite understand why would someone pay $3.74 to "transfer" money from T-M to Emerald. With T-M you can do a CA at the bank up to $500 for a $2 fee, or get CB at the store, or you can do BP or MO.... Why to make things more complicated and involve Emerald?
I think because we pay more fees to Emerald, they wont shut down us
Old May 22, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zgrzfg
It seems i've been getting a issue with hr website when I tried to log in in past two days. anyone else?
Something along the lines of:
HTTP Status 500 - Cannot call sendRedirect() after the response has been committed
Clear all cookies,etc related to emerald and hrblock and it will be fixed. Had this problem on two different computers.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:53 am

Just some data points:

- The "day" is a 24 hour rolling period. Tested this loading at WM, and it would not let me load until 1 minute after the time of my previous days load. So plan ahead and start early if you are going multiple days in a row

- The 5k limit 30 day rolling period, isnt super strict, but I havent figured out exactly what the rules are. I have had 6k show up in my last 30 days and didnt have a problem. Never pushed further than that.
Old May 23, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golf7
- The "day" is a 24 hour rolling period. Tested this loading at WM, and it would not let me load until 1 minute after the time of my previous days load.
What are U loading?
Old May 23, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl
I "get" that you disagree with this methodology. And I acknowledge both your opinion and logic. Thank you for being an enthusiastic sounding board.^
But, I counter that you don't have to harp on it!

I am avoiding additional cash & MO transactions, above my current cash/MO level. Period. That is the reason.

It took a long while to settle into nearly $25k of MOs and cash greenbacks moving around without getting in trouble with my various banks. I am happy with that equilibrium. I am ok with not doing as much as others do, perhaps you yourself do much more. Awesome!

I do my other $15-$25k MS in electronic methods. i.e. 3x Bluebird BP, Simple BP, Emerald BP, direct branch payments (with MO!), etc.
With Relits in my area (at 5% CB, mind you), and utilizing the T-M card (Relit fee is refunded), I'm actually *saving* $40+ versus when I used to load it via VRs, netting a tidy profit of $214.50 / month, or $2562 per year (incl BP fees).

Emerald is a nice, safe $5k route, at minimal cost for me ($37.40/month). It might be for others, also. Diversification is not a bad thing, even at a (minimal) cost!
Old May 23, 2014, 7:15 pm

I "get" that you disagree with this methodology. And I acknowledge both your opinion and logic. Thank you for being an enthusiastic sounding board.^

I am avoiding additional cash & MO transactions, above my current cash/MO level. Period. That is the reason.

It took a long while to settle into nearly $25k of MOs and cash greenbacks moving around without getting in trouble with my various banks. I am happy with that equilibrium. I am ok with not doing as much as others do, perhaps you yourself do much more. Awesome!

I do my other $15-$25k MS in electronic methods. i.e. 3x Bluebird BP, Simple BP, Emerald BP, direct branch payments (with MO!), etc.
With Relits in my area (at 5% CB, mind you), and utilizing the T-M card (Relit fee is refunded), I'm actually *saving* $40+ versus when I used to load it via VRs, netting a tidy profit of $214.50 / month, or $2562 per year (incl BP fees).

Emerald is a nice, safe $5k route, at minimal cost for me ($37.40/month). It might be for others, also. Diversification is not a bad thing, even at a (minimal) cost!
I agree. I'm on the 3xBB, a few MOs, and HRB now to mix things up. Not all my eggs in one basket. Been thinking about trying out some limited PayPal work as well...
Old May 23, 2014, 8:19 pm

I am avoiding MOs and cash too... by doing mostly BPs at WM. Almost every of my CCs can be paid by WM BP. The only CC I don't pay at WM is Amex. Amex cash, Amex preferred, and Amex business. For Amex I use BB...

I think that Emerald is one extra step that is not necessary for me and it costs money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.