Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kroger Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:20 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Happened to me in a few Krogers today. First clerk just had me do the fourth in a second transaction. At second Kroger, clerk did the same thing but asked if I wanted to add two more to the second order! :-)

Heck yes! :-)

Originally Posted by yanxfann
This started happening at Krogers in my area about a week ago. As a result I now just make the 4th VGC be about $470 rather than $500.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, US, SW, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors
The $2000 hard cap must have taken effect sometime on Monday in my area, as I was able to purchase 4x$500 at the register on Sunday afternoon but ran into problems this morning attempting the same amount.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
one of our local Ralph's and see this huge sign (more like a 8x11 paper printed in the back-office) saying "CASH only for all Visa, Mastercard, American Express prepaid products".
Intriguing! Went back to that Ralph's yesterday. The "cash only" sign is still there but the cashier ringing me up using the OBC and not even bothering about seeing my ID had a name tag saying "sales manager"... What's wrong in this picture?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
Intriguing! Went back to that Ralph's yesterday. The "cash only" sign is still there but the cashier ringing me up using the OBC and not even bothering about seeing my ID had a name tag saying "sales manager"... What's wrong in this picture?
The employee training at most of these stores is terrible. Even the store manager often doesn't know or forgets store policy. He just reads the memos and doesn't implement.

I bought 60k+ of MO from a store w/ VGC that had a sign posted saying bank debit cards only. My last week in town one employee finally caught on and notified her manager. I probably could have kept buying from the other customer service center employees if I was careful to avoid that manager.

Be smart about it. Don't push the limit so employees get suspicious and start talking to their managers. Play nice and do whatever employees seem comfortable with and you will have many months/years of MS.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:55 am

In my store (Fry's foods), they had two terminals (Western Union & Checkfreepay) for bill pay. In checkfreepay they could not locate Mastercard, Visa or Discover to pay the bill. In WU they were able to locate and I had to fill a form to know the convenience fee and for $500 bill it came out to be $16. I passed it.

I did visit Walmart yday and paid a mastercard bill for $1.88 convenience fee for $2000 (4 swipes).
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by gapprasath
In my store (Fry's foods), they had two terminals (Western Union & Checkfreepay) for bill pay. In checkfreepay they could not locate Mastercard, Visa or Discover to pay the bill. In WU they were able to locate and I had to fill a form to know the convenience fee and for $500 bill it came out to be $16. I passed it.

I did visit Walmart yday and paid a mastercard bill for $1.88 convenience fee for $2000 (4 swipes).
Don't bother with Western Union. They will ban you.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:49 pm

I've been running into issues at multiple Krogers with cashiers not even letting me buy even a single $500 GC at the register, instead sending me to customer service. Which is OK, except that it's always the same person working CS, so each of them sees me ~3 times a week, buying $2k at a time.

Which, I thought was a bummer. But it turns out that the real bummer is all 3 Krogers no longer seem to be stocking Visa GCs. That, or they are always being bought out, which may actually be the case, as I've seen lines 3-4 deep at the 3 working Kate's in the area, with people unwrapping GCs right there in line. :/
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by cKGunslinger
I've been running into issues at multiple Krogers with cashiers not even letting me buy even a single $500 GC at the register, instead sending me to customer service. Which is OK, except that it's always the same person working CS, so each of them sees me ~3 times a week, buying $2k at a time.

Which, I thought was a bummer. But it turns out that the real bummer is all 3 Krogers no longer seem to be stocking Visa GCs. That, or they are always being bought out, which may actually be the case, as I've seen lines 3-4 deep at the 3 working Kate's in the area, with people unwrapping GCs right there in line. :/
I hope they rot in hell
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:09 pm

So the new limit is 2000 dollars in total for one trans.

Could I do a second trans immediately? Is there a id limit like CVS?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by ericliujian

Are you purposely trying to get Kroger to shut down all gift card purchases?
Wake up ..........
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by abeadinfo
Are you purposely trying to get Kroger to shut down all gift card purchases?
Wake up ..........
Why do you think that would happen? Kroger doesn't sell gift cards out of the goodness of their heart; they sell them because they're profitable to sell.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by ericliujian

Why don't you try it and report back to us? There was no hard POS limit a month ago. Of course it would be better if you went to a different store as I don't think the cashier or CS desk is going to let you do two in a row.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:31 pm

Confirmed in Ohio that the limit cannot exceed $2,000 including fees, and it is enforced at the register.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Still relatively new to MS and experimenting with different methods. My local Smith's recently stocked variable VGCs so I bought one last night for $500 thinking I would get the fuel points, which would easily cover the activation fee. When I looked at the receipt no credit for the $500 in fuel points. Is that always the case?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Typhoonpilot
Still relatively new to MS and experimenting with different methods. My local Smith's recently stocked variable VGCs so I bought one last night for $500 thinking I would get the fuel points, which would easily cover the activation fee. When I looked at the receipt no credit for the $500 in fuel points. Is that always the case?
Yes.
Great big signs in every Kroger, at the gift card rack, that variables earn no fuel points.
On the other hand, static value cards routinely earn 2x points, and there are periodic specials for 4x. But not on variables. Always zero points there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.