Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone flip actual goods?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Lightbulb Does anyone flip actual goods?

Just curious, in the post-Mint days, is anyone flipping actual physical goods with any luck?

So far it seems like buying something like baby formula and reselling at a discount, but still more than your costs wouldn't be a bad way to go if you could find the people that need it, possibly a Mom's club or something? I don't know though, just thinking out loud.

I'm very leery of the whole VR and MO thing, seems like it could come crashing down at any time which has me brainstorming for things that could be flipped regularly and preferably in a single CC cycle.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:45 am

My personal experience is that buying and reselling items take significant more time and effort. To me, the reward is not great enough. If I put all that effort into something I'd rather make a decent profit. Between a full time job and a newborn, I don't have time to do something like that.

Now I have made a couple $100 this year by flipping some good deals (thanks slickdeals) and some free after rebate software on ebay/craigslist but I don't do this with much frequency to make it a significant part of my spending.

For now, a couple trips to CVS and the supermarket throughout the month take a minimal amount of time and effort and meet all my needs.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Yes, but the cb or portal would have to be a lot. I got in on ebags 35x aa miles last xmas. Am getting about .8 cents per mile selling with amazon fba. All I have to do is update prices.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:20 am

I do both but only really ramp up on flipping towards the end of the year. I probably pushed through about $35K worth of goods through ebay/CL this past Nov-Dec. During the rest of the year its only probably about $1-2k/month. I find for your time, MS is the way to go. Worst you deal with is a cashier that's having a bad day who doesn't want to sell you a MO or something. With flipping, you have to deal with issues like scams, non-paying bidders, returns and chargebacks. I only reason I still do some moderate flipping is because I still do enjoy the rush of it and am smarter at limiting my exposure to the headaches that come with it.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:23 am

nevermind

Last edited by envoy245; May 4, 2014 at 4:57 pm
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by envoy245
You should look into Stapling... buying FAR case paper and reams. Many Staplers are able to sell the 10-ream and 5-ream cases on CL (between $15 to $20 for a case).
Or donate to a church or organization for tax deductions. ^
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Does anyone flip actual goods?

I've been doing some FAR stuff the last few months to meet min spends and have made a couple hundred in profit. I limit what I buy to stuff I know I can at least get $5 out of. Not a whole heck of a lot, but that's lunch money for me. And since I have to walk past a post office everyday on the way to work it's not costing me anything more than a few minutes of my day.

I also just donated a bunch of paper to the humane society so that will come in handy next year at tax time
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by FetusFluffer
I would never buy baby food from the likes of you people. I love all babies. Some things you just don't get from questionable sources.
Saved for austerity.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott
cool, thanks for the responses

what does FAR stand for?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by DennisMichigan
cool, thanks for the responses

what does FAR stand for?
FAR = Free after rebate
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:16 am

I don't want to dabble in this at any volume. It seems like it would have tax implications to buy tangible goods and resell them for profit.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
I don't want to dabble in this at any volume. It seems like it would have tax implications to buy tangible goods and resell them for profit.
Just don't go over $20k a year on Ebay and you should be fine.

It's much more of a PITA to resell though - there are some things that are always slam dunks and that's what I do, but even that is so much more involved than MS'ing at my friendly CVS 2 mins from my house.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:22 am

That's what I started doing years ago and still do, if the product is worth it. Usually, it's not but sometimes you can catch a great sale and points multiplier (Kohl's) to make it worthwhile.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:23 am

I saw this last month from Running with Miles. Seemed like an interesting option if you can find the right deal.

http://runningwithmiles.boardingarea...ured-spending/
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:26 am

To an extent I started dabbling with resale, it is worth it with the occasional deal that comes up, however could never see really expanding into it because of the demand on time. Basic stuff (typically software) and stapling is easy, however much more than that seems like it would be a huge PITA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.