Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

loyal3 free stock trades with credit/debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
Limits

As of November 20th, 2014, Loyal3 does not allows purchases of $10, $25 and $50 with a credit card.

Maximum purchase generally limited to $10,000 per IPO and $2,500 per month per non-IPO stock.
No Cash Advance:
Bank of America Virgin Atlantic
Bank of America Alaska Air
Barclaycard Arrival
Capital One (All Cards)
Citi Platinum AAdvantage Visa
Chase Hyatt
Chase Freedom
Chase Marriott
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United Business
US Bank Flex Perks

Cash Advance:
*Data Needed

Placing Orders

- Make sure when you place an order, the funding source is selected as your CC and not the Checking account that it defaults too. Loyal3 won't cancel the buy order, and some have suggested the only way is to put a stop on the amount by contacting your bank.

Current Stocks Available for Trade

*A total of sixty-two (62) as of 10/14/2014
  1. NASDAQ: FOX
  2. NASDAQ: AMZN
  3. NASDAQ: AAPL
  4. NASDAQ: ATVI
  5. NASDAQ: BWLD
  6. NASDAQ: DISCA
  7. NASDAQ: DNKN
  8. NASDAQ: EA
  9. NASDAQ: EIGI
  10. NASDAQ: FB
  11. NASDAQ: FTR
  12. NASDAQ: GPRO
  13. NASDAQ: GOOGL
  14. NASDAQ: HAS
  15. NASDAQ: INTC
  16. NASDAQ: KRFT
  17. NASDAQ: MAT
  18. NASDAQ: MSFT
  19. NASDAQ: MDLZ
  20. NASDAQ: MNST
  21. NASDAQ: PLAY
  22. NASDAQ: SBUX
  23. NASDAQ: VIAB
  24. NASDAQ: YHOO
  25. NYSE: GLOB
  26. NYSE: AMC
  27. NYSE: ANF
  28. NYSE: ARO
  29. NYSE: AEO
  30. NYSE: BABA
  31. NYSE: BUD
  32. NYSE: BRK.B
  33. NYSE: BBY
  34. NYSE: BKW
  35. NYSE: KO
  36. NYSE: DIS
  37. NYSE: DPS
  38. NYSE: GPS
  39. NYSE: HSY
  40. NYSE: HUBS
  41. NYSE: KATE
  42. NYSE: K
  43. NYSE: KSS
  44. NYSE: LB
  45. NYSE: M
  46. NYSE: MCD
  47. NYSE: NKE
  48. NYSE: NOK
  49. NYSE: PVH
  50. NYSE: PEP
  51. NYSE: ZQK
  52. NYSE: RL
  53. NYSE: SC
  54. NYSE: TGT
  55. NYSE: TWX
  56. NYSE: TRUP
  57. NYSE: TWTR
  58. NYSE: UL
  59. NYSE: VFC
  60. NYSE: WMT
  61. NYSE: WWE
  62. NYSE: YUM

IPO's for Trade Now

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:05 am

Thats so overly broad.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:18 pm

IMO this is the most underrated MS option available right now. Not necessarily worth the hassle for day-to-day MS, but easily one of the most appealing ways to meet large threshold spending, such as UA PQD waiver or large signup spending threshold. With about 50 stocks at 2500 mo limit each that is max 125k/mo with at least 10 stocks I would consider very low beta, including BRK.B which is essentially a mutual fund.

For many people the value of 25k UA points plus PQD waiver, for example, is very likely much higher than the sum of any losses from holding $25k worth of low beta stocks for a few days.

Last edited by youngmoneyhack; Apr 5, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: csp chase sw chase united barclay hilton citi aa
Originally Posted by youngmoneyhack
IMO this is the most underrated MS option available right now. Not necessarily worth the hassle for day-to-day MS, but easily one of the most appealing ways to meet large threshold spending, such as UA PQD waiver or large signup spending threshold. With about 50 stocks at 2500 mo limit each that is max 125k/mo with at least 10 stocks I would consider very low beta, including BRK.B which is essentially a mutual fund.

For many people the value of 25k UA points plus PQD waiver, for example, is very likely much higher than the sum of any losses from holding $25k worth of low beta stocks for a few days.
agreed. i'm in for 10k today
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by youngmoneyhack

I'm not bothered by the small risk of losing money on the stocks themselves, but do you know how much of a hassled this is going to be with the tax-man? You have to track every cost basis for your gain/loss separately--and since you're likely rebuying the same stocks repeatedly, you have to worry about the wash sale rule too, which is even more of a hassle.

If you want a way to buy your regular buy-and-hold stocks with a credit card, I think this is a good option, but repeatedly buying and selling for MS, this is going to have way more downsides than upsides.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bttc
I'm not bothered by the small risk of losing money on the stocks themselves, but do you know how much of a hassled this is going to be with the tax-man? You have to track every cost basis for your gain/loss separately--and since you're likely rebuying the same stocks repeatedly, you have to worry about the wash sale rule too, which is even more of a hassle.
Just like any other broker-dealer, Loyal3 is required by law to provide you with end of year capital gains reporting.

It is as simple as attaching what is sent to you and mailing it in with your tax return.

Like I've mentioned in this thread before, I've been an active trader for years (5+), with some years making 500+ individual buys/sells. End of the year, I get my capital gains reporting and attach it directly to my Schedule D. For those who do not paper file anymore (I guess I'm old school for a 26 year old), most tax programs will automatically read and format your tax reporting documents into your form.

When you use TurboTax to prepare your taxes, we’ll do these calculations and fill in all the right forms for you. We can even directly import stock transactions from many brokerages and financial institutions, right into your tax return.
There are reasons people might want to avoid this. Paper trail isn't one of them.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:00 pm

Is it possible to do a "limit order" with their system?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:07 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hamhead
Just like any other broker-dealer, Loyal3 is required by law to provide you with end of year capital gains reporting.

It is as simple as attaching what is sent to you and mailing it in with your tax return.

Like I've mentioned in this thread before, I've been an active trader for years (5+), with some years making 500+ individual buys/sells. End of the year, I get my capital gains reporting and attach it directly to my Schedule D. For those who do not paper file anymore (I guess I'm old school for a 26 year old), most tax programs will automatically read and format your tax reporting documents into your form.
I don't believe this is very sound tax advice, I don't believe brokers' statements of gains and losses is an appropriate attachment to your tax return, the information should all be entered on your tax return on Schedule D and that is it.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeMilesArnold
Is it possible to do a "limit order" with their system?
No.

All you can do is put your order in, wait 3 days for the CC funds to clear, then they buy the stock at market price at some random time after 2pm EST.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:57 am

With the demise of VR, I may just give this a try since I'm already invested in stocks for 6+ years
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by hamhead
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bttc

Quote:

When you use TurboTax to prepare your taxes, we’ll do these calculations and fill in all the right forms for you. We can even directly import stock transactions from many brokerages and financial institutions, right into your tax return.

There are reasons people might want to avoid this. Paper trail isn't one of them.
Just so we are clear on this, you are completing the schedule D with the activity for any stocks you sold, right? Generally you don't report a purchase but when you sell you need to report the gain or loss. I guess if you only have losses you might technically not need to report them if you didn't want the tax credit. The information above sounds like you might not be accurately filing and an audit or more likely just a bill from the IRS is in your future.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Father-of-3
Just so we are clear on this, you are completing the schedule D with the activity for any stocks you sold, right? Generally you don't report a purchase but when you sell you need to report the gain or loss. I guess if you only have losses you might technically not need to report them if you didn't want the tax credit. The information above sounds like you might not be accurately filing and an audit or more likely just a bill from the IRS is in your future.
Correct. My comment about buys/sells was just in regards to volume of trading.

To clarify further, Schedule D has the totals of your short term / long term capital gains - Form 8949 which is attached to Schedule D has the line itemization that people are speaking towards where each sold transaction is recorded.

I'm just stating was has worked for me in the past. Technically the instructions state to line item your sold transactions (date bought/date sold/cost basis/proceeds/etc.) directly on Form 8949. I just put a note to see attachment. I'm not a tax advisor, but I have had advisors state that'd work fine.

IRS is just going to compare what was reported to them by the broker compared to what your totals are on Schedule D. It has been federal law that all brokers report all of your cost basis/proceeds information since 2011 - most did so before then as well in preparation for the law change. Since I don't engage in any transactions that would not be reported on to the IRS, my totals are always going to match what they have on file for me in regards to capital gains/losses. There is no audit trigger, and if it did I'd have nothing to worry about. Everything is fed through computers nowadays - the IRS has a number it expects you to have owed, and when they receive your return they compare to the total you say you should pay. If the numbers are off by a relevant amount, it is researched. If it isn't, see you next year.

And as I've stated, if you E-File (which is about 75% of people nowadays), most tax programs will automatically populate Form 8949 for you. Then all this is irrelevant to begin with.

Last edited by hamhead; Apr 6, 2014 at 3:32 pm
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
What's the minimum amount of time you need to hold onto a stock for? Can you sell a day later?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: CITI, Barclay, Fidelity Amex, CC
What about slow and steady, with minimal exposure, say, one stock at a time/$500 twice per week? Seems pretty low-risk; worst case scenario near break even, especially if using a 2%+ card. Or am I being naive?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman
What's the minimum amount of time you need to hold onto a stock for? Can you sell a day later?
If you use a CC it takes about 3 days before the stock shows in your account. Once shown you can sell immediately and it'll take another 3 or so days for the money to be "available" for withdrawal.

It is not a quick turnaround by any means in the MS world but it's free (fee wise) and a nice way to supplement other MS $2,500 at a time.

I do mine by on a two week time table. I'll buy, say, Monday and sell the following, say, Tuesday so that funds would be withdrawn Friday. That way it's not immediate buy and sell which will get you flagged (my opinion). My way may get me flagged to but we'll see. I also believe buying 30k in a month and selling and turning that over will do the same. As with all MS, slow and steady wins the race.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by bu08usc11
If you use a CC it takes about 3 days before the stock shows in your account. Once shown you can sell immediately and it'll take another 3 or so days for the money to be "available" for withdrawal.

It is not a quick turnaround by any means in the MS world but it's free (fee wise) and a nice way to supplement other MS $2,500 at a time.

I do mine by on a two week time table. I'll buy, say, Monday and sell the following, say, Tuesday so that funds would be withdrawn Friday. That way it's not immediate buy and sell which will get you flagged (my opinion). My way may get me flagged to but we'll see. I also believe buying 30k in a month and selling and turning that over will do the same. As with all MS, slow and steady wins the race.
Waiting 1 day to sell and doing that over and over will definitely get your account flagged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.