Increases in insurance premiums due to MS

Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by commdiver
Is this car insurance for everyone in your family? If not, you must be getting into accidents left and right if you are paying anywhere close to $150 per month. I pay $90, but I have very high limits (and a lead foot ).
As I mentioned earlier, we have no claims on our insurance. Premium is very high due to the car driven, volume of uninsured motorists in county and now, my insurance score (which is the only variable I am hoping to resolve).
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lemma
My car insurance is with Geico, and they just told me they are raising my rate from roughly $280 to $330 for a 6 month policy (liability-only, but with max limits, good driving record but risky demographics). I just switched to Geico back in the fall, so I'm guessing I'm just losing the rate they give you the first time around to lure you in with the hopes you'll be too lazy to switch. Seems like the only way to get the lowest rates is to switch companies every time you're up for renewal. Unfortunately Geico is still the cheapest quote I'm getting, so looks like I'll be staying with them at least for another 6 months.

If you are managing your MS well, I don't see why it should affect your credit score and insurance risk. Maybe if you are applying for a ton of new cards every 91 days, but I for one am applying for a lot fewer new cards nowadays. And I always pay in full before statement cuts so utilization stays low. Last I looked it was in the low single digits. From your post it looks like you are waiting to pay in full until the due date - which is fine, you have that long to pay to avoid interest, but that will increase your util which can have negative effects beyond car insurance, i.e. difficulty getting more CCs, mortgage refi, etc. so it's better to avoid the problem by arranging things so that your statement balance is always small. Also, you might want to consider pulling your CLUE report, as you get a free one annually like with the credit bureaus and it could be that there is a claim listed on there that is raising your premiums through a case of mistaken identity or whatever.

I don't see how this makes any sense, in the same way that a coin that has been tails several times in a row still has a 50% chance of being tails on the next flip. I would think that a claim-free history, both with that company and with other companies (which they can find out about via pulling CLUE report) should be a positive thing. Someone who has a past claim is more likely than not a worse driver than someone who doesn't, all else equal, because the worse a driver is, in other words the more likely they are to have an at-fault accident, the more likely they are to have claims on their record.
Many thanks for pointing out that I should pay in full before the statement cuts. I haven't been doing this, but will now. I simply did not realize that it really mattered, but value the information. Many thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: Several dozen
Well, if the insurance rates bother you, move to an area with good public transit and ditch the car payment, gas, maintenance and car insurance. Being able to tell the energy and insurance companies where they can go is priceless!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whitesol
I wonder what these "so called derogatory items are from MS" as the only thing I can think of is high reported balances. If so then this is a simple issue to fix, FICO scores don't have a memory of past utilization so since you are only using one card (SW) to MS just create a cut off date a few days before the statement cuts. Then start again after that. Go have them rerun your totals after you fix your utilization reporting and you should be fine.
The following are considered derogatory remarks: "number of new revolving accounts, bank related inquiries on your credit report, customer-initiated credit report inquires,current balance on cc compared to highest balance ever carried, etc."

I am sorry I wasn't clear.
I will begin paying before statement cuts for sure. Many thanks.
I had been doing app-o-ramas every several months for my husband and I until I realized that there were no exotic trips in my future because my priority has been to support my son plus we have a great time as well!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Churnman
There really isn't such a thing as loyalty when it comes to insurance. When they up the rate beyond reason I switch. I have found cheaper deals when I shop other agents outside my area yet within my state. Certain agents in other areas of a state can sometimes quote better rates from the same company than in the area you live from what I've found (depends on your area). I was with Allstate for over 25 years, but they became unreasonable even though my score was consistently in upper 700s and low 800s (the normal FICO score with max of 850 I believe) and no claims. I churn cc all the time over all the years. Anyone at 800 is in top 1% of the nation, right?

Anyhow, I think the longer you are with a company without a claim, the chances of a claim coming is greater in their eyes and maybe our insurance score shows more risk and they raise rates fast. They don't really want you anymore unless you're willing to pay that much more it seems. Switching hasn't hurt me.
I'm not really looking to be switching companies all the time. That would involve switching auto, home #1 and home #2, and umbrella policies in order to get multiple policy discounts.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brc01
It SOUNDS like there was an unrelated derogatory item to MS (e.g. an unpaid medical bill). This would explain the auto insurance rate issue.

When OP says "...have had higher revolving credit card charges (all of which are paid 100% in full prior to due date)" I get the impression that MS activities might not be paid off until after statement reports high MS balances, which certainly would hurt scores.

In order to negate the score impact from MS, it's important to pay off MS in full BEFORE the statement even cuts.
I had an outstanding JCPenny credit card bill that was not being forwarded to my new home but JCP wrote a letter and it was completed voided off my credit report thus the info below.

"When I pulled my full credit report I did have one derogatory item on my credit report which was quickly nulled by the reporting company."
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by Steelcurtain
I'm not really looking to be switching companies all the time. That would involve switching auto, home #1 and home #2, and umbrella policies in order to get multiple policy discounts.
I understand. It is a pain. Plus, sometimes the new policies I look at aren't what I want even if the price is okay. Can be very time consuming and sometimes not worth switching.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:32 pm

The following are considered derogatory remarks: "number of new revolving accounts, bank related inquiries on your credit report, customer-initiated credit report inquires,current balance on cc compared to highest balance ever carried, etc."

I am sorry I wasn't clear.
I will begin paying before statement cuts for sure. Many thanks.
I had been doing app-o-ramas every several months for my husband and I until I realized that there were no exotic trips in my future because my priority has been to support my son plus we have a great time as well!
They generally don't consider customer-initiated report inquires. You should be able to ask for a re-price once you are sure all your reports are clear. Did you check all three reports?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:45 pm

My geico rate didn't go up at all when I traded in a 2004 Hyundai for a 2013 Toyota Prius
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:46 pm

I'm not real literate on credit scores, but that is what I printed out from my Our Transunion credit reports as that is the company All state uses.

Initially I checked other ins companies but stopped because of my fear of being dropped if an incident were to occur. We live in one of the top counties in the nation with uninsured motorists and they don't drive well either!
The other thing is insurance scores usually have a wider range than credit scores...200-900 for example. Strange that they would tell you it was a "3"...wonder if they meant 300.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:26 pm

Get quotes from other insurance companies. Allstate is overpriced. I'm with USAA.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:05 pm

I shop insurance every single year when homeowners comes due. I generally end up switching on average every other year, but I check them yearly. It seems some companies will just increase your rates every year, counting on the people that are to lazy to shop around.

You also should price each of the items you insure by themselves (Car, Home, Ect..). My current setup of Libery Mutual for home, and Geico for Auto was $200+ cheaper than having both policy's with any company. In my state Geico uses a totally different risk formula than all other companies. I have yet to find anyone that was within 20% of Geico's rates here.

You really should take a hour or two to look around for a new insurer. You might be surprised and find one that saves you a few hundred dollars, or more. That's pretty good for a couple hours work.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by brc01

When OP says "...have had higher revolving credit card charges (all of which are paid 100% in full prior to due date)" I get the impression that MS activities might not be paid off until after statement reports high MS balances, which certainly would hurt scores.

In order to negate the score impact from MS, it's important to pay off MS in full BEFORE the statement even cuts.
Many thanks for pointing out that I should pay in full before the statement cuts. I haven't been doing this, but will now. I simply did not realize that it really mattered, but value the information. Many thanks!
You got it. Great.
CreditKarma.com to help understand influance of basic factors to credit score.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:15 pm

When I pulled my full credit report I did have one derogatory item on my credit report which was quickly nulled by the reporting company
Why is this still on your report at all ?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:17 pm

but JCP wrote a letter and it was completed voided off my credit report thus the info below
If you can see it, it was not removed. you should not be able to see anything

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.